It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Our country may have the ability to hear us if desired even if our cell phones are not being used in a conversation. They have sweeping power through Homeland Security laws. Circuitry that would allow someone to listen in on conversations could be incorporated into the technology of our phones, possibly even in monitoring what the camera has in it's view. Is this possible? I feel it is. Is it probable? I do not know.

There would be no witnesses in the production in this country because the people knowing of this technology would be in the upper management of the people that build the phones which are not built here in America. Agreements could be made with these top execs of these corporation to install a chip into the phones that allows someone with the technology to access the phone with the right code attached to the phone number while dialing. I cannot say this is happening for sure only that it is possible and it also may be probable. They can monitor everything we post or say on phones nowadays, going through it with a computer looking for certain trigger phrases. Why would they stop there, why wouldn't they desire to know where the phone is and want to listen to the conversations that aren't being sent. I would be disappointed if Homeland Security hasn't thought of this. I'm sure they have.

An older phone would not have this technology, I feel it is relatively new. They are giving these phones to people cheaper than they cost to produce, people think they are getting a deal. How long has this technology been out there if it is? Maybe a while, there are GPS's built into most phones nowadays so I feel that this technology has been around for a few years.

Shutting your phone off when in conversations that you would not like the government to hear may be a wise idea if I am right. Most people cut the government down so they could have evidence to imprison anyone they wanted to. We all could be classified as terrorists for things we say sometimes when we are mad at something, it would be a shame to get in trouble for blowing off steam. I see this as a more viable thing to be done than incorporating a camera into a monitor or TV. Cell phones already have RF technoilogy incorporated into them. Not many people would need to know about this, even the scientists that design them would possibly not know what every circuit is for.

It is nothing to get paranoid about, it is just a theory of mine. Watch what you say even when you think there is noone listening. I think the people monitoring these things would always be smiling, listening to some of the stupidest conversations in the world could be a great job.
edit on 18-11-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
ive heard that they can still listen in on you even if your phone is turned off.

maybe its better to take the battery out?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Or do as I have done and drop your mobile in a pond
never to replace it again. (best thing I ever did).
People get in contact by my home phone or email.....no brain cancer for me and no snoopy snoopers snooping my calls.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
only smart phones can be used in this way due to all of the hardwire being operated under software from the cpu and memory in it, makes it easy to activate any of the devices on the phone, mic camera even speakers.

You are right, older phones while they can be made to do the same thing, need to be actually physically modified instead of having a program code installed, much like a computer virus vs. changing hardware.

Could you imagine the government using your speakers in your phone as a world wide tannoy loud speaker system? freaky stuff, but yes fully doable on phones with central computing and an OS.

reply to post by lonewolf10

This can only happen if the phone is updated with a OS that has this mode built in, the best way to tell this is if your battery drops as quickly when off for 24 hours vs on, as it needs to maintain a listening signal and transmit data if activated, this uses more battery power than truly "off" phones.
edit on 18-11-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This sounds like an Anita Bryant CIA commercial.
"coils, not just for mattresses anymore"
We found out too late

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
People have already been jailed by evidence obtained by law enforcement remotely turning on
a person's cell phone microphone and listening in to ambient conversation.

Hell, you can buy programs online that allow private citizens remote control over any smart phone.
All you need to do is get hold of the phone you want to tap and place a call to the spy program's
service. Then you will have access to ALL of the information that passes thru the phone or is contained
in the phone....including remotely accessing the camera and microphone....and it is legal.

Maybe I should do a thread about this. I figured here at ATS it would already be well known
edit on 18-11-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This technology was built into phones after 9/11
Google "Enhanced 911" and you'll see for yourself.

Either leave your phones somewhere else if you need a private chat or build a "quiet box"
I have a small metal box big enough for a few phones, The inside is lined with thin lead sheet from a roll of roofing lead.
The phones inside have no signal and with the lid secured no sound can be heard outside of the box.

Just over a month left eh!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Perhaps what you're talking about is the GPS feature added to cellphones a few years back.

I would also remind you that your country is one thing, and its government is another thing. They are not the same.

If the battery is removed the phone is dead. I don't think they have the ability to view through the phone's camera, but it is true that the law required manufacturers to incorporate features allowing the government to go in through the "back door" to recover data, and probably voice too.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I was already under the impression that this was being done already and that the new phones could not have the battery removed, thus stopping people cutting off the ability for the government to snoop.

Originally posted by rival
Maybe I should do a thread about this.

Yes please do, the more info that is brought together in one easily accessible place the better.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
beware, soon an evil government will install cameras and microphones everywhere to spy on their citizens!
meanwhile everyone is already carrying around said devices in their pockets, they even stomp each others to get the latest model first.

my cell phone makes and receives calls and text as is its purpose, no internet no cameras.

edit on 18-11-2012 by UziLiberman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by UziLiberman
beware, soon an evil government will install cameras and microphones everywhere to spy on their citizens!

was this written 40 years ago?

we already live here.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Or do as I have done and drop your mobile in a pond
never to replace it again. (best thing I ever did).
People get in contact by my home phone or email.....no brain cancer for me and no snoopy snoopers snooping my calls.

Land lines are even easier to tap than cell phones.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The government has had the ability to listen to everyone's calls for a while. It's when they turn on the phone remotely and listen to the conversation in a room without the phone being Officially turned on. I suppose what I am talking about has been discussed here before and found to be true. I tried a small search here but didn't find anything about this ability of phones. I have trouble finding things with that search option on the toolbar on top. It doesn't distinguish between old and new threads. Maybe it does but I just don't know how to use it.
edit on 18-11-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I would be stunned if they weren't using the technology in such a fashion. We already know they can monitor calls, and track cell phone locations. GPS built in, and the lovely little location feature (for 911, of course, and how convenient) will only make that simpler. There are programs, so I have read, that people can get into someone's cell phone to listen in, and ways to clone the phones. If the crooks and hackers can do it, there is no doubt that the government can as well, and probably with greater ease.

That said, there is a very simple solution. Remove the battery. Virtually every simple article, every video, on the topic that I have seen states that this is the only sure method for stopping someone who is trying to spy on you with your phone. Even "off", they could have a program that made the mic work, and maybe even a camera. I would go further to say that simple precautions should be taken with a computer as well. Note, please, how "the market" seems to be trying to make a laptop the norm, and to push desktops to the side. I think there are two real reasons for this. One, it's harder to work on a laptop, so they can make more money off repairs. Two, and this is the key, most newer laptops have built-in cameras and mics. Meaning, you can't simply do what I do, and leave those unplugged when not in use. You can, of course, cover a camera lens, but how to totally stop a mic, that could be activated without your knowledge? I suppose, again, they only real option would be battery removal.

That doesn't help, in the case of a cell phone or a computer, of course, when you need the device on and running. So, for most people, there daily activities make them open to easy surveillance. Now, of course, most people aren't doing anything that should be a worry, but in these times, who knows what would attract attention? It's already been shown that being in an opposing political party makes you a "potential terrorist" to the government.

Interesting times we live in.

Oh, almost forgot; they can use your land line, too. Look up something called a universal transmitter. Those suckers work as a mic in your house, even if the phone isn't in use. Cameras everywhere we go.....already in use in NYC, along with "other things" that they don't name, to "fight crime". Big Brother is alive and well.
edit on 18-11-2012 by LadyGreenEyes because: added comment

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Cell phones are radios, as everybody knows.

There are receivers made that can listen to the cell phone frequencies, but they are "illegal" in the US. Other countries in the world can possess such radios, but only government officials can have such receivers in this country.

In the early days cell phones were analog and could be listened to, but nowadays they are digital, and even with the proper receiver, the messages could not be decoded so they could not be understood. My bet is that US authorities can listen with the necessary decoding program.

new topics

top topics

join