It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy Mother of.....What Is "Ingress"! Good bye i-Phone!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komonazmuk
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

pretentious mobile-app/game

allthingsd.com...

reply to post by TucoTheRat

Originally posted by Mizzijr

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
reply to post by TucoTheRat

So what, exactly, is ingress supposed to be? That looks like a trailer for a new show or movie or something. If it's a product, I missed it. Any details, because I sure don't want to visit some evil takeover site to hunt them down.

Seriously, is it supposed to be an app, and if so, what's it supposed to do?

Lol! Okay First! I want to thank the OP for sharing this because this is amazing.

To people who don't get it. There are games on the internet called MMORPG aka Massively Multiiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

This is that, but integrated with real life.

You ever hear about those kids dying from games sitting in front of their computers playing games for days on in with no food water and all of that? It's that kind of game, but on your phone.

Now, while I'm super excited about this development. This particular one, probably won't be super fun, BUT! I'm excited for future models and games like it that could actually develop into something more..

Another thing I find interesting is, that game is based around infrastructure in real life. So take the Empire State building. There could be some kind of code to "hack" there, or maybe a boss. However, there could be a conspiracy within the game. It feels that way, especially since the infrastructure is involved there could be a code related to real life events of the past of even events to come.. who knows?

Ingress.. the definition: A place or means of access; an entrance.

Tell me that doesn't sound like a conspiracy waiting to be found.

Thank you, and thank you! Figured it had to be something like that. Real life overlap, though.......I don't know if I like that idea. Yes, it could be fun. However, what about those people that can't quit playing games already? I could just see people losing jobs over something like this.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I've been playing for a week now.
It's pretty neat and gets you out and about unlike so many other mmo games.

I do like the way there are zero in game purchases, you get on by actually doing stuff and it's pretty cool to find a new portal, create a mind control field etc.

Absolutely kills your battery though.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
I've been playing for a week now.
It's pretty neat and gets you out and about unlike so many other mmo games.

I do like the way there are zero in game purchases, you get on by actually doing stuff and it's pretty cool to find a new portal, create a mind control field etc.

Absolutely kills your battery though.

I played just under a month... then I just got tired of the back and forth motion of the whole thing. Nothing to gain nothing to lose. It's like taking the story out of WOW and keeping the endless grinding.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Been playing for three years now. Just a level 12.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: staple
Just made it to Level 15.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: staple

The game is just another way for Google to gather and validate GPS data via crowd sourcing for their mapping software.

edit on 3-1-2016 by wordsvsimage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TucoTheRat

I've been playing this for about a year now. It's very addicting and fun. You have to actually physically go to "monuments' or sites around town, and try to destroy them or take them over. I'm on the Enlightened group by the way
. You can go alone to certain sites, some are difficult to get to, or in a team.

There is talk that Google might add a red team. Also, you have to have a deep understanding of how to attain and upgrade weapons, strength, status and ability to transfer the same things to other members of your group.

It forces you to get out of the house and explore.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
With all the hype over Pokemon GO, I started to look into similar games and ran across Ingress.

I remember the gf playing this awhile back so I just downloy it.

Any pointers to get started?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I'll punch em in da nose... bling 10 points, ya I'm moving up a level!

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
We played around with a concept for what you might call a team based massively multiplayer real life game.

Some of it was virtual, some actual, some on-line research, some media based research, your team would need field intel agents, A teams, B teams, Mission Support Agency, analysts, a research group, linguists and so on.

The idea was to have a real world problem set up by the 'mods' way ahead of time, let people set up teams, then start introducing the issue. The clues needed would be inserted on line, in the media (watch those CNN crawlers, it might only happen once etc) in social media and the like. Some would be quite hard to find, your team could hire a web-crawler/indexer from Dark Raven Tech (ha) if you had enough coin, you could purchase research from an SRI-ish group, a DIA like intel aggregator would provide data to one side whilst a Russian-ish counterpart would be available to the other side.

In order to complete the task, your field guys would need to learn fieldcraft, your B teams would have to learn organization and logistics, the analysts would need to learn how to go through data and draw appropriate conclusions and the like, "just like the real thing" as far as you could take it. If your "A team" members could do BASE jumping or Parkour, for instance, you could get a 'jump' on the other team that could not.

On top of which, the teams would have the GPS/compass/maybe other hardware version of a Miles rig hooked to the cell phone (several ways to do that, some more aggravating, some less, we were still debating how) so that you could "assassinate", "kidnap" or "neutralize" the other team's assets.

If you had hackers, you could get into the other team's computers. Or the "DIA's", or "SOCOMs" or "DGSE's" or whatnot.

In other words, it would have been a little like real life SOCOM work, without the knifing and shooting bits, but with all the AHA! and Gotcha! left in too. The goal would be to have facets of it for EVERYONE, if you were a bored granny and wanted to watch for ephemeral data on the TV, you could do that and have a simple website for reporting. If you were a wild-ass BASE jumping madman, then there would be segments where you could sleep on poncho liners and eat worms after jumping into a national forest and then doing boring-ass CIA dictated sneak-and-peek work, or maybe some 'infrastructure damage' by retrieving geocached validation markers from power lines and the like. Divers could get data from underwater 'cables', the badder the diver, the better the data etc.

You could even have crazy SIGINT, ELINT or HUMINT stuff. The goal would be to emulate at least SOME of every facet of a typical big project run by SOCOM, with pretty much EVERYONE having some part they could do, from diving, to historical research, to web mining, hell maybe even some sort of LARP-ish ground action here and there.

Each 'game' would run for 3-6 months with a nice reward and accolades at the end. Sort of like that web based thing with the crazy puzzles. Only writ large.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join