It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netanyahu May delay up coming election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Netanyahu May delay up coming election

www.jpost.com

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu may consider postponing next Sunday’s Likud primary, and possibly even the January 22 general election, if Operation Pillar of Defense in the Gaza Strip does not end soon, Likud sources said on Saturday night.

Netanyahu formed a task force of three Likud officials to determine whether the party’s Knesset candidates list could be chosen in the midst of the operation. Likud attorney Avi Halevy, party campaign manager Tzahi Braverman and Netanyahu’s political adviser Gabi Kadosh were tasked with determining whether the primary could be delayed until just
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Does this seem rather odd to anyone else?

It of course seemed rather convenient that Netanyahu, and Gaza started fighting just before election time, but this is something else.

“If Pillar of Defense goes on, it will be impossible to carry out the primaries in the largest parties,”

How? I see no reason an election can't take place while you bomb Gaza. The Risk would be exactly the same whether your civilians are going to work, eating sleeping, or voting. The sirens ring, and citizens report to a shelter until the all clear.

Party officials said Netanyahu has taken into account that he could easily obtain Knesset approval for delaying the general election, which could legally be held any time until October 22, 2013. But the prime minister’s associates have warned him that postponing the race would show weakness.

Or an attempt to prolong his term, using the over head threat of missiles as perfect grounds to maintain his position of authorities until his operation is complete. Why risk, having plans changed by another party member when a very hot Israeli campaign has just begun.

With Escalating international pressures, and more and more voices being heard in opposition the Israeli actions what do you all on ATS think of this?

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-11-2012 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
If I was a tyrant the first thing I would try to do is postpone elections to the point of indefinite. How about you?
edit on 18-11-2012 by shelookslikeone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by shelookslikeone

I agree, I just find it rather damning he would suggest, let alone have such a thing publicized given the extreme Campaign in Gaza. It comes off rather odd, given Israel has denied UN Humanitarian inspectors into west bank now this?

JAK

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Hi Hijinx, here's an article that may be of interest in relation to your suspicions:

Originally posted by Hijinx

It of course seemed rather convenient that Netanyahu, and Gaza started fighting just before election time...

Netanyahu's Extremely Risky Gamble

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is hoping the offensive in the Gaza Strip wins his Likud party more votes in January's election. But the move is extremely risky. Skirmishes could escalate into a full-blown war that might weaken Hamas but shift Palestinian support behind even more radical groups.

Just a few hours before the launch of the deadly offensive against military targets and Hamas leaders in the Gaza Strip, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was in his favorite place: in front of live television cameras. On Wednesday evening, he addressed the Israeli people with direct, aggressive words. "Today, we relayed a clear message to the Hamas organization and other terrorist organizations," he said. "If there is a need, the military is prepared to expand the operation." Defense Minister Ehud Barak also addressed reporters, saying that Hamas' "consistent provocation in recent weeks … forced our hand into acting with both precision and decisiveness."

The dual appearance seems to betray the motives behind the most recent attacks. "When the cannons roar, we see only Netanyahu and Barak on the screen, and all the other politicians have to applaud them," wrote the daily Haaretz in a commentary published Thursday. "The assassination of (Hamas' top military commander Ahmed) Jabari will go down in history as another showy military action initiated by an outgoing government on the eve of an election."

Perhaps, from this part:

Indeed, more than anything, it is the presence of these ultra-radical groups in the Gaza Strip that could turn Israel's current offensive into an adventure that spirals out of control. Goaded by Israeli airstrikes and shelling from tanks and naval gunboats, these extremists will be even less inclined to agree to a new cease-fire. Their supporters expect them to take a tough stance and reject all compromises.

we might wonder whether things haven't gone a little awry and now it's believed this situation might take a little more work before anyone comes out looking good.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

Thank you very much!!!!

I have been discussing this exact thing, on the livestream as well as with some of those participating in the updates thread.

It's rather hard to expect the terrorists groups to agree to a cease fire, after the public assassination of their leader, and ongoing civilian injuries. I understand Israel's desire to protect it's own civilians, but killing 48+(I don't have an up to date count) and wounding 400 is not a good start to a peaceful negotiation.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
War time/conflict is the perfect excuse or guise to use so one can establish a dictatorship. They could also end up facing another revolt if Netanyahu tries it.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyFishFrog

Oh how horribly true that is. I certainly hope it's not the case how ever ominous it may seem. I'm still hoping to hear news of Israel and Hamas working out a cease fire but it just doesn't look like that is going to happen.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Typically, I would say give him a chance to see if he is doing this with noble intentions but power corrupts and absolute power absolutely corrupts.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
The 'Bible Code' has predicted the assassination of 'Bibi' / 'Netanyahu'.

I wonder if that time is fast approaching?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNutjob

It also falsely predicted the end of the world in 2006.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

I wouldn't be surprised if he does get assassinated. Likely in Retaliation to the Assassination of the Hamas leader, how ever I doubt it has to do with the bible.. There have been so many failed attempts to pull a prophecy from the bible. 1666, 1874, 1914, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1941, & 1975 Really, the dates are far more numerous than these.

It's just religion, trying to find it's definitive proof of divine warning.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MonkeyFishFrog

It also falsely predicted the end of the world in 2006.

Using the ancient Hebrew language to try and predict a date is meaningless.

Every character in ancient hebrew also represents a number, too many numbers make it impossible to pinpoint a date using the bible code. According to the bible code Bibi will be assassinated, but the date is unknown.

The world will end some day... but alas that date is also unknown.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

How convenient, if he dies of natural causes, you could always claim god himself assassinated him

On topic, doesn't surprise me none. The man is a lunatic.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Personally, I think it would be wise for Netanyahu to delay the elections until Feb 2013.

I would also like to add, the Iranian Presidential elections is in June 2013 I think....and I'm alsmot certain something is going to go down before that.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

They'd be fools to do that. They will only make the Iranian president more secure. As it stands now he is on his way out. He's already in a bad state with the clerics. There is no need to make him a martyr.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

The article mentions the delay would be until October, 2013. Pretty significant, delay isn't it.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Gaza Catastrophe.

There is the usual discussion over where to locate responsibility for the initial act in this renewed upsurge violence. Is it some shots fired from Gaza across the border and aimed at an armoured Israeli jeep or was it the targeted killing by an Israeli missile of Ahmed Jabari, leader of the military wing of Hamas, a few days later? Or some other act by one side or the other? Or is it the continuous violence against the people of Gaza arising from the blockade that has been imposed since mid-2007? The assassination of Jabari came a few days after an informal truce that had been negotiated through the good offices of Egypt, and quite ironically agreed to by none other than Jabari acting on behalf of Hamas. Killing him was clearly intended as a major provocation, disrupting a carefully negotiated effort to avoid another tit-for-tat sequence of violence of the sort that has periodically taken place during the last several years. An assassination of such a high profile Palestinian political figure as Jabari is not a spontaneous act. It is based on elaborate surveillance over a long period, and is obviously planned well in advance partly with the hope of avoiding collateral damage, and thus limiting unfavourable publicity. Such an extra-judicial killing, although also part and parcel of the new American ethos of drone warfare, remains an unlawful tactic of conflict, denying adversary political leaders separated from combat any opportunity to defend themselves against accusations, and implies a rejection of any disposition to seek a peaceful resolution of a political conflict. It amounts to the imposition of capital punishment without due process, a denial of elementary rights to confront an accuser. Putting aside the niceties of law, the Israeli leadership knew exactly what it was doing when it broke the truce and assassinated such a prominent Hamas leader, someone generally thought to be second only to the Gaza prime minister, Ismail Haniya. There have been rumours, and veiled threats, for months that the Netanyahu government plans a major assault of Gaza, and the timing of the ongoing attacks seems to coincide with the dynamics of Israeli internal politics, especially the traditional Israeli practice of shoring up the image of toughness of the existing leadership in Tel Aviv as a way of inducing Israeli citizens to feel fearful, yet protected, before casting their ballots.

top topics

join