It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar, its not difficult!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thebtheb

Whilst I agree that the majority of the time the incorrect phrase is used to describe "zero caring", I must also point out that the onus is on the listener to understand what is actually meant by the phrase-user.

If I were to say that I could care less about this thread (for instance), then I'm sure a few posters would get torqued because they *assume* I meant that I do not care at all. However I do care a little, but if it were to become too inconvenient to push my point of view I could forgo caring all together. Therefore, I would care less than I once did and so I was accurate in saying that I could care less.

But, you're right... There are plenty of idiots that use it improperly simply because they are idiots.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
You're absolutely right. It is petty.

I notice it too, and it drives me crazy. I just don't say anything. If it's bad enough, I'll just move on and skip the thread. I'd call them out for it, but I believe it's more annoying to be the grammar nazi rather than the person that posts something poorly written.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueNose
Grammar, its not difficult!

I'd like to start by saying that this is not a dig purely directed at ats users or any one group in particular...

Right, i can't be the only one who gets wound up by the constantly used phrases like 'i could care less'? There are more but this one royally grinds my gears! Obviously if you could care less you DO care!

Also, is anyone else noticing that in news stories online there seems to be a competition between (the authors of) said stories to stick bloody brackets in where there's no need for them?

Trivial matters i know but it boils my urine!
edit on 17-11-2012 by BlueNose because: Spelt grammar wrong in the title... Now THAT, Allanis Morisette, is Ironic!

If we are to point out and correct everyone's grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors, then virtually every post we make on this site should go something like this:

There should probably be a colon or semicolon after the word "Grammar." "Its" should be "it's." The "I" in your second paragraph should be capitalized. When quoting, quotation marks (") should be utilized rather than apostrophes. The "I" in your fourth paragraph should be capitalized. "Spelt" in your edit explanation should be "spelled."

See my point?

Please don't be offended or feel attacked by the pointing out of these errors. Personally, I couldn't care less (look, I used it correctly) about these sorts of issues provided I am capable of interpreting and understanding people's words. That is, after all, the function of language and communication. To transmit, receive, and comprehend information as intended. So unless that isn't the case, I have no problem with a few typos or misspellings.

However, if you're going to take issue with such things, it behooves you to use spell check and proofread before posting in my opinion.

Peace.

edit on 11/19/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Elaboration

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
As stupid and counter-intuitive as it sound, 'I could care less' is actually a valid way to phrase this expression (i.e., there is room to care even less because what's being referred to is deemed so meaningless to the reader).

But, I agree that this is a silly way to say it. ' I couldn't care less' [if I tried] makes a lot more sense and, I think, is the original form the expression takes. It's just another example of the 'Americanization' of certain parts of the English language.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
....i......I - for irony.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
well ya'll jest be countin yerself luckified an stuffz dat i not posten here like i duz on da facenbook.
on da facenbook i iz jest a wittle baby chiten wiff a speechen pediment cuz chitenz not hab no lips or nuffin an i not tawlk weal gud inta dat dere voice twansmalater an stuff an it not typin it out rite neider.
itz not eazy bein a wittle purpule chiten ya know

Now see, aren't you glad this isn't facebook?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Thanks to MrInquisitive for a thoughtful and intelligent post. Failure to make an attempt at clarity and conventional usage makes your post harder to read and diminishes the value of your post in the eyes of many readers. Anyway, just for kicks, here are a few egregious examples from this site over the past year or so:

This is a Call to ban Knifes in America
Ron Paul fly's first class on government dime.
Are We the First Intelligent being’s of Earth
Now to the central character of who'm this thread is centalized
eventually this lead to other topics
people are moving their money on mass the to big to fail banks
What works, is mostly about what you believe will work. I also find a belief in a power greater than your own, helps too.
I live an a culddesac
a significant winfall for those in the know
you are on a role
Morality decline do to technology advances
It's very cut and dry
The Human Seismograph Says: Big Earthquake Eminent
Wild bores were introduced to the USA many years before Columbus
haha yeah should of proof read that
The cavalery is coming
If you are a low income resident or receiving assistance they wave the premium
So what will the slight of hand be.
Maybe we just go threw our daily routine
Well, given that alot if not most people on here believe that 9/11 was not what; shall we say: it was presented to be.
Se la vi for now ATS, I'll be taking a leave from my beloved ATS.
as Sherlock homes famously states
Mind trip through metaphore 3. Noah's arc
Good Riddens
your downloads are being tracked and data based for future copy-write prosecutions
The police have been able to run-a-muck
Im here for an answer, You wont have.
lot's of info would be released
someone just posts a video then “eludes” to it
no ifs ands or butts about it
I would love to see her in some of that scankie Vistoria Secrect logeray stuff.
Another turn-a-phrase meaning fallen ones, or fallen angels
something was coming down the pipe
enough to declare a Marshal Law situation
40% of Irans oil paid for in gold is a death bell to the west
this is the beggining of the dollar loosing its status as the world reserve currancy.
Imagine if they had, had a security camera in the Oval Offic
You have at least peaked my interest.
(a peak inside China's UFO culture!)
I've heard the ladies name before
the mysterious messages said allegedly ran the gambit from
I see a few others by star'ing you
waiting with baited breath
low and behold the iPod actually works
any Military personal that post here and any veterans, all of them will be the first to go
Looks like some pokadotted madness
Affecting Other People's Lively Hood
Not because I like people to read my witty status's
She walked passed my truck
we are members of our local counties beekeeping association
The plan calls for a complete reigning in of the banks
Alien Ancestors: Yeigh or Neigh?
Republican candidates support tactics to illicit false confessions from detainees
redefine ourselves as a singularly unique destination
On the heals of our new system to manage inappropriate contributions

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If you're going to make a post about grammar then at least put the apostrophe in.
It's, it's not its.
Respect for your gallant attempt at educating the masses, Good luck with that one.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
If you're going to make a post about grammar then at least put the apostrophe in.
It's, it's not its.
Respect for your gallant attempt at educating the masses, Good luck with that one.

No - it should read like this:

It is, "it's" not "its."

How does that saying go, "English does not borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them down, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar." Did I get that right?

edit on 19-11-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I am an English teacher so I can partly understand OP`s frustration.

Yet, there is a difference between spoken English and written English. Too often people confuse the difference between written and spoken English. This confusion is mostly coming from native speakers of English. A native speaker learns to speak the language before they learn to write it; which causes the natural confusion. Often, a spoken expression can take on a totally different meaning when it is written. I chalk this up to piss poor English teachers who do not take the time to explain this to young learners.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
reply to post by BlueNose

Hlelo Bulnesoe..............

Dno't wrory aubot the slpeling (or gamrmer) mtae

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh ? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt !

Love this, it is pretty amazing what the brain can do! I had no problem reading the above. Guess I really am "wicked smaht".

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
So some people aren't as "grammatically gifted" as you believe you are. Who cares? I can throw a baseball over 90 MPH but don't find myself being annoyed with others who can't.

The website is Above Top Secret. It's no secret that everyone doesn't get the same education. Deal with it. This is, after all, America.

Intolerance IS ignorance

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I have a friend who constantly says common phrases totally wrong. It happens multiple times when i speak with her, because she really loves to say these types of cliche phrases, but again, they are always just a bit off. Last night I wrote 3 of them down so I could tell my husband because I always forget.

- "its a total catch 21"
- "I am just at my ends wits"
- "she expects me to be there at the dime of a hat"

Huh? LOL! I just laugh to myself whenever she does this. She's a friend of mine so I can't get too annoyed about it. But in general, this kind of stuff makes me nuts! The worst one is, "irregardless". IT IS NOT A WORD!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomwv
I am an English teacher so I can partly understand OP`s frustration.

Yet, there is a difference between spoken English and written English. Too often people confuse the difference between written and spoken English. This confusion is mostly coming from native speakers of English. A native speaker learns to speak the language before they learn to write it; which causes the natural confusion. Often, a spoken expression can take on a totally different meaning when it is written. I chalk this up to piss poor English teachers who do not take the time to explain this to young learners.

Us Math and Science teachers talk about you guys when you're not listening

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
Us Math and Science teachers talk about you guys when you're not listening

That's okay, everyone knows that nobody ever committed the crime of vivisection in the pursuit of the English language, can't say the same for you proud scientists however.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Odds are that no matter how brilliant and deft you think your command of the English language is, someone with a much higher grasp of it will be along shortly to uncork and hand you the proverbial bottle of crow. We see it almost every single time someone tries to play at being elite.

Humility is much easier than grammar.

edit: Thanks for stopping by and not commenting "crow is something you eat and not drink, I should know"

edit on 20-11-2012 by primus2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Could I ASK a question? You are on about peoples grammar but what about your spelling?

I ask a question.
I was asked to answer a question!
I sat on my arse!

What the hell does "I couldn't be arsed......!" mean?

There is no way you, I or anyone else could be arsed!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
'No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.' - H.G.Wells

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

Can't be arsed = Can't be bothered. As in, cannot be bothered to get up off one's arse.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Well if one is going to question someone elses grammar one shouldn't use slang!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join