It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar, its not difficult!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
reply to post by BlueNose

I COULD care less about grammar. Sometimes I try to do it right, other times, I just don't give shAAt!

I do, however, feel kind of weird about the ad in the OP? What's up with that? Maybe it's just me? The word 'Start' is a clickable ad?

It's just you, you probably have one of those annoying browser addons that turns keywords in to ads.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
Grammar, water bag icer gut! Ah nervous sausage bag ice!!

[If you can say where that came from, the duck comes down, and you get $100 (not really).]

Wants pawn term, dare worsted ladle gull hoe lift wetter murder inner ladle cordage, honor itch offer lodge, dock, florist. Disk ladle gull orphan worry putty ladle rat cluck wetter ladle rat hut, an fur disk raisin pimple colder Ladle Rat Rotten Hut.

YE GODS...

O.o

A nervous sausage...

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueNose
reply to post by guohua

Fair point. What gets me is people for whom english is their first language but who basically can't be arsed to use it properly. Sometimes it's clear from what they post they're not thick, they just choose to deny their own ignorance, that is deny that they're being ignorant.

hay, some persons may be eliterate.. What if your the won bein ignarant?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Thanks, all fixed up!!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Maybe.... but it seems like spelling is....

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

A Modest Proposal

I have a problem with spelling errors and egregious typos, ACTUAL grammar/syntax errors, punctuation errors, and usage/diction errors. Hence, I have a problem with the OP even after he/she corrected the spelling of "grammar," as the example given is a usage/diction error, not a grammatical error; thus, the OP still has an egregious usage/diction error -- there's some irony there. An example of an actual grammatical error -- and one that is heard very often, particularly in sports commentating, is using an adjective instead of an adverb, i.e.[/] the team plays "smartly", not "smart." Other obnoxious grammar errors that cause confusion are run-on sentences and dangling participles; I'll leave it as an exercise to look up what these are, in case you don't know.

So please, can people stop using "grammar error" for every type of language error? Looks these different terms up on dictionary.com or some other such resource if you aren't sure of what you are talking about.

Typos are the least of the problems, except when an incorrect homonym/homophone is used, because then it becomes a usage error and can make text harder to understand -- not to mention look VERY SCHTUPID [literary license alert: using an Arte Johnson/Laugh In allusion]. No doubt such errors are particularly prevalent because plain, old spell checking programs can't catch such errors.

Bad punctuation and poor grammar also make for hard-to-decipher sentences as well as making the writer's thoughts less compelling because of the manifest illiteracy. In particular my biggest gripe is with lack of punctuation and lack of appropriate capitalization for the start of sentences; this makes for more difficult-to-parse sentences. In other words, the laziness and/or ineptitude of the writer places an undue burden on the reader.

The most egregious assaults on language are non-homonym usage/vocabulary errors, e.g. using "surmounting" when one means "mounting"

I'm also a lot more tolerant of errors by non-native speakers of English, and can often tell/infer when this is the case, and consequently don't get as aggravated by it and hold the writer's point(s) in higher regard.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Heres yin for ee, dis onybody type words n phrases oot the way ee would actually say thum? Ah bide in the ershole o scotland and ma hame toon hev got a language ah o oor ain

edit on 17-11-2012 by BlueNose because: (no reason given)

I know what yez 'r sayin'! I'm originally outta Noo Yawk, & I gotta tell yez, I gotta big laugh outta yer post. Tanks, mah fren!
An kindly doan mistake dis for an accent from Joizy Siddy, on da uddah side o' da rivuh, ok?
edit on 11/18/12 by BuzzCory because: Almost diddin need ta edit, but I did make one tinky

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I swear to god, your OP is an almost exact copy of this post I wrote in another rant thread.(Not started by me)

reply to post by manykapao

I could care less.

That doesn't make any sense! This has been grinding my gears for a long time... The correct phrase is ''I couldn't care less''. As in, I don't give sh*t! Why do SO MANY PEOPLE FAIL to comprehend this?

Coincidence? Or are you ripping me off?

edit on 18-11-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

reply to post by guohua

Fair point. What gets me is people for whom english is their first language but who basically can't be arsed to use it properly. Sometimes it's clear from what they post they're not thick, they just choose to deny their own ignorance, that is deny that they're being ignorant.

I agree, we all make typos now and then and sometimes use the wrong abbreviations and grammar. Some are dyslexic so they can't be blamed. As you say, second language is also an obstacle but I have seen far better spelling and grammar from many non-english speaking people than the majority of English people themselves.

Then there are some people who probably can use pretty good grammar but just don't even try. Like using a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence, it's really not hard to get your head around.

If someone can't be arsed to press the caps button when they start typing then that's just piss-poor.
edit on 18-11-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I totally agree with the original poster.

Equally annoying, and just as common, is the mis-use of the word "literally". I see so many people type things like "I literally wet my pants when I saw that" or "I literally crapped in my pants". So it actually comes across as them saying they can't control their bladder or they actually soiled themselves and they need to change their pants.

This is one of many examples of ignorant people not understanding the meaning of the words they use in their posts.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
What bugs me is the way people use the words 'literally' or 'surreal'.

'OMG that was so surreal!' I'm sick of hearing statements like that.

A Salvador Dali painting is surreal. Sharing the some birthday with someone is not. That's called coincidence.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I'd like to start by saying that this is not a dig purely directed at ats users or any one group in particular...

Right, i can't be the only one who gets wound up by the constantly used phrases like 'i could care less'? There are more but this one royally grinds my gears! Obviously if you could care less you DO care!

Also, is anyone else noticing that in news stories online there seems to be a competition between (the authors of) said stories to stick bloody brackets in where there's no need for them?

Trivial matters i know but it boils my urine!
edit on 17-11-2012 by BlueNose because: Spelt grammar wrong in the title... Now THAT, Allanis Morisette, is Ironic!

I could carelessly get stressed out over other people's spelling. I ask myself, why? If you are that anal, about a few misspellings then do not read. If it is because of incomprehension then i feel that you need to work on your understanding skills. If you're talking about the people who type "lyk dis n sht" then i feel ya. Other than that, it's something of so little importance it is a waste of my time and energy and yours to get all worked up about it.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beast Of Gevaudan
I totally agree with the original poster.

Equally annoying, and just as common, is the mis-use of the word "literally". I see so many people type things like "I literally wet my pants when I saw that" or "I literally crapped in my pants". So it actually comes across as them saying they can't control their bladder or they actually soiled themselves and they need to change their pants.

This is one of many examples of ignorant people not understanding the meaning of the words they use in their posts.

I don't think many people know what metaphorically means. Though i don't think the phrase "i just metaphorically # myself!" sounds as good as the sarcastic use of literally.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

As usual when someone posts about grammar, they make mistakes themselves. Like "Grammar, its not difficult!". "Grammar, it's not difficult!" or "Grammar, it isn't difficult!" would be better. Starting sentences with "Right" isn't good practice either.

What annoys me is the now common practice of saying "would of" instead of "would have" etc.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
Grammar, water bag icer gut! Ah nervous sausage bag ice!!

[If you can say where that came from, the duck comes down, and you get $100 (not really).]

Wants pawn term, dare worsted ladle gull hoe lift wetter murder inner ladle cordage, honor itch offer lodge, dock, florist. Disk ladle gull orphan worry putty ladle rat cluck wetter ladle rat hut, an fur disk raisin pimple colder Ladle Rat Rotten Hut.

YE GODS...

O.o

A nervous sausage...

You know Anguish. Good, I mean "Guide."

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Considering there is a grammatical error in your thread title, even after the edit, now that is special!

edit on 18-11-2012 by Wonderer2012 because: Grammatical error

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

What's you're point?

(sorry, couldn't resist
)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
No, grammar isn't difficult....and neither is using a capital I when referring to yourself. It is just plain silly to call out others while making your own grammatical mistakes in the very thread you created...LOL! No harm meant, just giggling at it!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

It's not difficult to add an apostrophe to the word "its" in your title either...

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

You can start capitalizing your "I"'s as well as utilize punctuation before you criticize what other people are writing online.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join