Finally got a Wii and WOW. Now I have questions for you Wii experts.

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I got a Wii for my bday from my honey. I wanted it so I could stream my Netflix and save my computer from having to constantly stream all my movies. I don't have cable and use my computer as like my own personal cable provider only I get a better selection for the money!

Well I had no idea I could do some of the things I can with a Wii. I am viewing ATS with my Wii right now and it's all nice and big on my TV! I definitely want a wireless keyboard and mouse now! I also found out I can watch Youtube vids with my Wii on my TV! This soooo makes research easier. I can watch via my Wii and do the research part on my computer while watching. That is how I like to do things, watch on one and research on the other.

I had many people tell me get an Xbox or a Playstation BUT I am NOT a gamer. I wanted it for one purpose besides Mario, to stream Netflix. I am quite happy with it! I have already downloaded Mario Bros 3 and Castelvania. I have a few others I want but for some reason I can't find Tetris. So my question is are you limited to what "old school" games you can get for the Wii? Or do I have to physically buy the games vs download? I"m new to this and have no idea how it all really works. I prefer the OLD NES or Super NES games. I'm not into any of the new games. I have a short attention span for games but the old ones are like nostalgia to me and I still need to beat half of them lol so I shall master those old ones before i move on to the newer ones.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

go to the Wii channel and go to all the old school games .

then you buy credits and use them to purchase games...

hope that helps..

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove

go to the Wii channel and go to all the old school games .

then you buy credits and use them to purchase games...

hope that helps..

Hey Badd

I searched in that area and it says there are no games by that title. I bought $10 in credit and got two games. That isn't a bad price per game! It has all the popular Mario games and even some I've never heard of lol. I thought Tetris was popular

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
well, good news and badd news..lol

it is not in the Wii store

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
could always find an emulator to play those games on your wii. wiibrew.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

What's an emulator? Sorry I'm not a gaming person so I don't know the terms.

I don't like Playstation lol. I have always liked Nintendo anything. I guess it's because I grew up with Nintendo. I was like 8 or so when they came out and my uncle got us one. I remember my mom giving us each an hour time limit to play after school. There were 3 of us that had to take turns. Eventually my brother got control of the NES and all other gaming systems after that. After the SNES we never had a chance and we rarely got to play it.

If I can view my Amazon via the Wii I'll kiss that darn thing lol. Everything I watch I do so online (no cable) so being able to do it on the nice big flat tv my fiancee insisted I have over my 90s tube tv is actually very nice. I hardly ever used the tv and I felt bad lol. Now it will get some use!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Does the newer WII's play dvd's now? Mine's softmodded to play them but I was wondering if they ever started selling them with the capability from the factory?
This was a big factor that turned me away from Nintendo. It was ridiculous that the WII didn't have any high definition capabilities and they didn't play dvd's out of the box.

Although I do like Netflix best on the WII. It seems to navigate better than my 360 or PS3.

P.S. If your system is older and the system update is under 4.3 then I would seriously look into softmodding it. Why have a machine you paid so much for and not use it to it's full capacity?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

I checked out that link. It it like "jail breaking" an iPhone? Not the same but the same concept, unlock it.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Oh that looks good and it's cheap!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Does the newer WII's play dvd's now? Mine's softmodded to play them but I was wondering if they ever started selling them with the capability from the factory?
This was a big factor that turned me away from Nintendo. It was ridiculous that the WII didn't have any high definition capabilities and they didn't play dvd's out of the box.

This one isn't one of the new ones. It doesn't seem to play DVDs but I havent put one in it. It has a DVD option when I"m on the home page but that could be for games.

I am so not into HD stuff. lol I had a 90s tube tv and a VCR and my fiancee upgraded me as he says to a Blu Ray and flat screen. I never liked flat tvs they just seemed weird to me and Blu Ray just doesn't interest me all that much. I am not into home entertainment you could say. I have always been the type as along as I can see it that is good for me. I never had cable as a kid and use to use foil on rabbit ears to watch Buffy back in the day. I was happy with that because I could still see it. loL Yes I'm weird
The tv he got me is nice and the blu ray player is too but the difference in picture to me doesn't make or break it for me. My fiancee on the other hand is very into all that stuff and he teases me all the time about my choice of tvs and media players lol.

P.S. If your system is older and the system update is under 4.3 then I would seriously look into softmodding it. Why have a machine you paid so much for and not use it to it's full capacity?

I have no idea what that means. Is that like jail breaking or unlocking? I'm not against that since i unlocked all my iPhones and loved it.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

It is like jailbreaking and simple if you have the right downloads. Check your WII's system version. It should tell you in the WII menu somewhere. If it hasn't been updated past 4.3 you should be able to still do it.

Once you get the Homebrew Channel on your Wii then it makes it better in my opinion. You can play the emulators that was mentioned earlier.

new topics
top topics

join