It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel, what would it be like?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
first of all... wasn't to sure where to post, seemed more paranormal to time travel

so what would you say time travel would be like? like in prince of Persia where u go back within ur own body like a rewind/fast forward effect or like how most movies and shows do... you are your own body from ur own time and possible to see yourself (if u exist in that time) or... do you have another idea?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by saiyankev

If I could travel back in time I would go back to 1928, and pull out a cell phone while someone was filming the people walking by the premier of a Charlie Chaplin silent movie.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
You can't really say what you would want to do if you time travelled backwards as you would create a paradox when you did it and eliminated the desire to travel. You'd have to go back and wait till you were in the past before deciding what to do.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by maccascfc
You can't really say what you would want to do if you time travelled backwards as you would create a paradox when you did it and eliminated the desire to travel. You'd have to go back and wait till you were in the past before deciding what to do.
u could do whatever u want... whether or not it ruins the future u cold still do it, now if the future doesn't change then either means the universe is paradox free or what u did and that u went back in time was meant to be, or u making a choice helped another universe to its future

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I did not ask what would you do, I ask what do you think would happen or what it might be like to be the one to time travel, the feeling of doing it

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
But say for example I wanted to pop back to the beggining of the last century and have a little chat with Hitler and put him on the right path. I wouldn't be able to because I would have never of heard of the guy to develop the desire to stop him being a dick.

Unless of course you subscribe to the multiverse theory.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

If time travel is indeed possible, I have a funny feeling moving backwards would leave you with no memory of the event. By moving backwards you've undone everything that's happened since the moment you went back to. If you moved your physical self to a time before yourself you would have no idea who you were, where your are or how you got there. The Physical self exists, but as far as the experiences you had you haven't had them.

Moving forwards how ever, would leave all your memories intact, as well as the process of moving forwards exactly as they should be.

I think Time travel is an amazing concept, but it could be rather finicky.

I feel this way merely due to the theorized processes involved, and how can do identical individuals exist in the same reality, when one's memories could greatly impact the one from the future. I would think, for time travel to the past to work, there would have to be your past self ready to accept the future mind/being.

Time travel forwards and time travel backwards are two different things in my eyes. Moving forward could be achieved differently than moving backwards. For instance, if you (when the technology is there.) preserved yourself with cryogenics you would as the observer wake up how ever many years in the future as your current self. Seemingly having traveled through time in moments.

Moving through time, just seems different either way. It would make more sense to move your consciousness backwards to a past self, and at that moment the future no longer exists.

How this could be done, I have no idea but no current theories seem to hold any achievable merit.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

In Tye dye and cut off shorts right??? I mean if you're going to blow the futures mind, you may as well go big or go home.

I think if I could pick a time, I'd go back to the exact spot the Patterson-Gimlin film was shot in the best Cinema grade Ape suit I can find.

Oh ho ho

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Greetings saiyankev, ATS Readers, Writers,

With the disclaimer IF IT COULD BE DONE...

Since brainy mathmeticians have supposedly "proved" other dimensions exist, and some claim different
timelines exist as well... a fractal universe would have infinite timelines for example..

I "think" you would need to be pretty careful...you would feel paranoid for one thing..trying to make sure you weren't noticed. If you went back to witness an event for example..and somehow you managed to muck with
destiny, paradoxing devil you...you would NOT notice it until you returned.

Upon return, you might wind up on a different timeline than where you were before due to your interference???

Wild guess of course...nice exercise ...lol.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Time travel is obviously impossible. We know for a fact it wasn't possible in the past or the present. And it obviously will never be discovered in the future either. Surely anyone in the future is going to wish like hell they travel back to this point in history. Just before Dec 2012 and correct a few things, make some adjustments to the time line, so to speak.

I don't see nobody !
edit on 17-11-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Time travel is obviously impossible. We know for a fact it wasn't possible in the past or the present. And it obviously will never be discovered in the future either. Surely anyone in the future is going to wish like hell they travel back to this point in history. Just before Dec 2012 and correct a few things, make some adjustments to the time line, so to speak.

I don't see nobody !
edit on 17-11-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Sorry, but why have you made a post with your opinion and tried to pass it off, as 100% fact??

It is not "obviously impossible" to TT... And nobody knows "for a fact" it wasn't or isn't possible... And it isn't a fact either that it "obviously will never be discovered in the future"

However on the flipside of the coin, it's not a fact either, that it may be entirely plausible that TT will be (or already has been) 'created' in the future; but it is probable it may be/have been and if it was invented/manifested/created in the future then it would mean it exists in both the "Past and Present" as well.

You may not believe it... But it doesn't mean it's OBVIOUSLY impossible. Nor does it mean we know "for a fact" it doesn't, never has, nor never will exist.

ETA: And to respond to the OP and to actually respond to the question asked... I initially thought it would be a case of "replacing" our current selves (at that particular time) as in, no "Paradox" could/would be created by meeting ourselves - Unless of course it was at a time we weren't born yet.

However that leaves open the question, what if we (at say 24 yrs old) travelled back to a time when we were 15... Replacing ourselves wouldn't make sense unless we became that age. And then you've got to think, what if we travelled back to a time when we were like 3-4yrs old... We'd be bang on F--ked.... lol
edit on 18-11-2012 by A55A551N because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I think you would be confused.

Not knowing where or when you were.

What would you do, what would your purpose be?

How could you not be noticed?

You would end up in the current time equivalent of a mental institution. People would think you are crazy man.

What if you went back in time and made a gambling bet on a sure winner with outrageous odds. Then instead of spending the money there, you put it somewhere so the current time " you" could retrieve it and become wealthy. You would never change the timeline from then until the "now". And the future really isn't details used yet so it doesn't matter anyways, due to the spontaneous ability to change ones mind.

On second thought, you winning all of that money just means that someone of the past does not get that cash. What if someone borrows money from the mob, and your bet somehow lowers his odds and he does not win enough to pay the mob back the promised amount. In turn the mob whacks the Guy and he just so turns out to be the Guy that saves your dad from a burning building when he was a baby...

My head hurts.....lol

edit on 18-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I think you would be confused.

Not knowing where or when you were.

What would you do, what would your purpose be?

How could you not be noticed?

You would end up in the current time equivalent of a mental institution. People would think you are crazy man.

What if you went back in time and made a gambling bet on a sure winner with outrageous odds. Then instead of spending the money there, you put it somewhere so the current time " you" could retrieve it and become wealthy. You would never change the timeline from then until the "now". And the future really isn't details used yet so it doesn't matter anyways, due to the spontaneous ability to change ones mind.

On second thought, you winning all of that money just means that someone of the past does not get that cash. What if someone borrows money from the mob, and your bet somehow lowers his odds and he does not win enough to pay the mob back the promised amount. In turn the mob whacks the Guy and he just so turns out to be the Guy that saves your dad from a burning building when he was a baby...

My head hurts.....lol

edit on 18-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)
well first of all ur answer is the closes to what I actually asked

and finally someone who makes sense when it comes to time travel and using something in the past that someone else would use, I think even just going back breathing in any amount of air would change someones or everyone's life cuz of u just breathing in the air certain people needed to live...
like in Back to The Future 3 where he was given a gun to fight off someone... now whoever was originally gonna have that gun.. won't, so I'm sure u know where I'm going with that

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi

If I could travel back in time I would go back to 1928, and pull out a cell phone while someone was filming the people walking by the premier of a Charlie Chaplin silent movie.

I did that but no one noticed.
Bummer........

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Time travel IS possible mate, you traveled through time as you typed your post, trouble is we are all travelling in one direction, forward.
IF any of us could go backward then maybe the traveller wouldn't want to be noticed or interfere in the slightest as it may cause paradoxes ( paradoxi?) who knows??.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to the premier of that bloke with the tash and cane.....

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by A55A551N

I said it was a fact that no one has done it in the past and that is a fact self evident.

To entertain you tho? How do you know that it isn't in fact impossible ? You can't say time travel isn't impossible when it hasn't been done yet. It could very well be impossible. So which statement is more truthful ?

TT isn't possible ?
or
TT is possible ?
or
TT is impossible ?
edit on 18-11-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Like cruising a caddy through town skatin on new rims with a new pair of shoes. How? Anti-gravity and electromagnetism would create a paradox that would resemble a universe inside of a universe meaning outside influences are negated thus making the gravity of the blackhole ineffective.

new topics

top topics

join