It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Chief Uses Unique Method To Control Homeless Population

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
A government big enough to give you everything is big enough to take it all away.

If we had that type of government we wouldn't have homeless people.
Yeah, because TPTB always go out of their way to do what is best for the "useless eaters".

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

A government big enough to give you everything is big enough to take it all away.

If we had that type of government we wouldn't have homeless people.
Yeah, because TPTB always go out of their way to do what is best for the "useless eaters".

That was the whole point.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by shelookslikeone

WOW.

edit on 17-11-2012 by one4all because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2012 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

It's proper to give credit to the person whom you are quoting;

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have."
~Barry Goldwater, Presidential candidate

Otherwise it might be seen as plagiarism, although you haven't lied about it

Plagiarism is to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own, or to commit literary theft.
I'm just sayin'.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Homelessness is a complicated issue. There are a lot of stakeholders involved. Where do we house them when they lose their jobs and then their homes. Cities and municipalities pass laws, codes and ordinances that exclude individuals, single mothers and families from the community context. If you don't have a home or a job you are seen as a vagrant. Someone who should be sent packing. Often to get a job you have to have a real address (not a P.O. box) and a contact phone number at minimum. Many communities utilize a bus intervention therapy. They buy you a ticket or take you to the outskirts of town and send you on your way. In many communities there are people and non-profits that want to provide shelter and services. But because of laws, codes and ordinances they are unable to meet those requirements. The homeless try to build shanty towns under bridges or in the woods and law enforcement tears them down and burns them. In some countries the homeless are allowed to build shanty towns and they self regulate their community. If I were to attempt to build concrete apartments (fire resistant) with enough room for someone to have a bed to get out of the weather I would never be allowed to build them because of the
laws, codes and ordinances. People who have a job and a home don't want the homeless living anywhere near them, neither do businesses, nor communities. When mental hospitals closed and the patients were put out on the streets mental health clinics were supposed to provide the necessary support for those people to have access to shelter and services. Unfortunately, it was an unfunded mandate. Veterans are another large percentage of the homeless. Suffering from PTSD and physical disabilities. Unable to work just like others with disabilities they find themselves on the street. Many of the homeless prefer to not seek shelters. The reason they don't is because many shelters battle bedbugs, lice and crabs. How many of us would want to sleep in a shelter under those conditions? So when you see a person sleeping out in a car or under a tree they may have a very good reason for it. Communities are going to have to work together and be creative. It might require modifying some laws, codes and ordinances to be more flexible to find solutions. You are right sometimes the homeless will break the law just to get a warm bed and food. Can you blame them if there is no alternative. Should we arrest them for being poor? Shall we drive them out of town like lepers? Out of sight , out of mind! Really?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I want to ask the people in this thread a sincere question. Do you think that in America you should have the right to sleep in your own car if you so choose? I honestly don't care about your opinion on homeless people - it's irrelevant at this point. I just want to know how many Americans honestly think that being homeless should be a crime? There are people in this country that CHOOSE to be homeless and never ask for a dime. Some people choose not to put themselves into debt at 18 to put themselves through a university only to get out and put themselves into more debt for a 30 year mortgage, 2 cars, etc. etc. Some people do not want to be stuck in the rat race. Do you as an American honestly believe that this way of thinking should be illegal?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

I don't believe being homeless should be a crime. I believe people should be allowed to live in their vehicles. However, I don't think it is safe for children if the temperature or weather puts them at risk of harm. Children die in cars every year from excessive heat.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

The way I read this is that as a human being with no financial backing or peice of paper issued by the govt then you are a criminal. Is this the twisted image we have evolved into? Very sad.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by shelookslikeone

Wickham asked council members to pass a no-camping ordinance.

“It just basically means you can’t set up a tent. You can’t live in your vehicle. You can’t live in the woods in Nevada City,” he said.

That is unless you have a permit.

“If they’re homeless and heartless, hey, we got a place for them,” said James, who is homeless. “It’s called county jail.”

For now, the police chief will give out about six to 10 permits. He’ll check back in six months to see if the program is working. If it is, that’s when he says he’ll give out more.

sacramento.cbslocal.com...

Yeah this chief is a douche bag tyrant.

How can the gov tell you that you can't live in your own car?

edit on 17-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

It's not going to end with just cars though. People in RVs, liveable vans, or basically anything that isn't nailed down are subject to this as well. But it's this idea that you WILL abide by the system that we have in place for you or you will be thrown in a cage. The State is GOD!

Nevada city is not a big town and it will be easy for anyone to live just outside city limits and still be homeless there.

if i was living in a RV or van i would not stay in grass valley/Nevada city anyway when you can stay in Camptonville 28 mile away with the other hippies and there is a county transit bus that runs between the two towns.

There is also Washington, CA only 18 miles from Nevada city and also a haven for hippies.

I will be moving back up there in April but i will be about 40 miles from Nevada city in Alleghany calif for the summer in my RV.

i live in a 30 foot motor home because with my disability pension i can live cheaper then if i had to rent a apartment or any other place to live .

The RV park i live in right now i only pay $250 a month and get water. sewer, power. cable TV and internet as part of my space rent.

If i want to i do not need to stay in a park as my RV is fully self contained and has solar for power.
edit on 18-11-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by shelookslikeone

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Wow,

talk about looking a desperate person in the face, giving him/her a permit and then sending them back onto the street.

I certainly hope they combine this with some further assistance.

I do realize that some are on the streets by choice, but this seems kind of silly to me. Your homeless, you dont have a permit, then sent to jail to put further stress on the prison system. Waste of money.
edit on 17-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

These permits will be given to the people that actually want to go to jail to get their 3 hots and a cot. The people that just want to be left alone won't get them. I can see it now.
The downside is no booze or cigs in county jail.(let alone a drug habit). A cig would cost you 2 or three meals if there around, if they are real scarce you could be looking at between 4-6 meals for one cig... Moved around to much in county jail to really make some good hooch. Most homeless people rather stay on the street then in jail..
edit on 18-11-2012 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gangdumstyle

Most people enjoy their freedom, drug addicted or not.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I'm not sure why this is a 'big state' issue as such. It looks like this is at the behest of local businesses (where I live, most of the time it's local businesses complaining about the homeless rather than the public) and given the alternative to holding a permit looks to be prison, big business as well as local business.

Looks like a capitalism problem to me. If the state is kowtowing to businessmen, it looks like, if anything, the state isn't big enough or powerful enough.

Also, and it might be different in the U.S. but in England, the percentage of people who choose to be homeless is actually quite small. Most would rather not be and a good chunk of them are people who 'fell through the net', often with physical or mental impairments. If we weren't busy funding private arms firms through nonsense wars, producing vanity projects for politicians and allowing the fantastically rich to pay nothing in the way of taxes, maybe our state would be big enough not to have any homeless at all.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join