It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Chief Uses Unique Method To Control Homeless Population

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

NEVADA CITY (CBS13) – A police chief says he’s found a one-of-a-kind way to manage a growing problem in his city, and it’s putting the homeless on the hot seat.

A new law would give Nevada City the power to hand out permits to a small group of homeless, which would give them permission to sleep in public. While the new ordinance would give some homeless a place to stay, it would tell others, mostly the troublemakers and the criminals, to stay away.

This is how you control the population. You will buy into the system that was created for you. You will have a 9-5. You will own a house or pay rent. You will go into debt. You will not sit on PUBLIC property. You will not sit in the woods (the state owns the trees). The state makes the grass grow. The state makes the sun rise. You will not live out side of the system or you will be placed in a cage. You will hold down a job even though there are no jobs or you will go in a cage! Sleep in your car? I THINK NOT! 30 year mortgage and debt up to your eye balls OR IN THE CAGE!

This is disgusting. These people already have to deal with surviving on a daily basis. Leave people the hell alone.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by shelookslikeone

And if you break the law....off to Newgate for you.....

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

You got all that from the word "Permit"? I believe that means they are ALLOWED to do all those things you were ranting about.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Sounds ideal for some and problematic for others. what measures are in place to insure that discrimination isn't a factor in deciding who get the permit and who doesn't? What guidelines are being used for acceptance and denial. Is it first come first serve, with a limit on the number of permits?

I wonder how much the permits cost, and how long they're good for.
edit on 17-11-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Wickham asked council members to pass a no-camping ordinance.

“It just basically means you can’t set up a tent. You can’t live in your vehicle. You can’t live in the woods in Nevada City,” he said.

That is unless you have a permit.

“If they’re homeless and heartless, hey, we got a place for them,” said James, who is homeless. “It’s called county jail.”

For now, the police chief will give out about six to 10 permits. He’ll check back in six months to see if the program is working. If it is, that’s when he says he’ll give out more.

sacramento.cbslocal.com...

Yeah this chief is a douche bag tyrant.

How can the gov tell you that you can't live in your own car?

edit on 17-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Wow,

talk about looking a desperate person in the face, giving him/her a permit and then sending them back onto the street.

I certainly hope they combine this with some further assistance.

I do realize that some are on the streets by choice, but this seems kind of silly to me. Your homeless, you dont have a permit, then sent to jail to put further stress on the prison system. Waste of money.
edit on 17-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund

Wickham asked council members to pass a no-camping ordinance.

“It just basically means you can’t set up a tent. You can’t live in your vehicle. You can’t live in the woods in Nevada City,” he said.

That is unless you have a permit.

“If they’re homeless and heartless, hey, we got a place for them,” said James, who is homeless. “It’s called county jail.”

For now, the police chief will give out about six to 10 permits. He’ll check back in six months to see if the program is working. If it is, that’s when he says he’ll give out more.

sacramento.cbslocal.com...

Yeah this chief is a douche bag tyrant.

How can the gov tell you that you can't live in your own car?

edit on 17-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

It's not going to end with just cars though. People in RVs, liveable vans, or basically anything that isn't nailed down are subject to this as well. But it's this idea that you WILL abide by the system that we have in place for you or you will be thrown in a cage. The State is GOD!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Wow.... I don't think I quite understand the good chief here. Would he be suggesting that a person needs a permit to legally live in his city without a legally declared physical address? So...if I don't pay someone, somewhere for the right to live inside a properly approved dwelling that meets the chief's previous approval......I'm delcared illegal by simply being within city limits?

It kinda sounds like the absurdity shown by the opening scenes of the First Blood movie with the fat Sheriff and the attitude that wouldn't leave a guy alone to find some lunch.

I'll be interested to see how well this survives first contact with a federal judge and whoever appoints the Chief in Nevada City likely needs to be made jobless in the next election.

Homelessness is damn sure a problem to be addressed but simply declaring the troublesome ones "illegal" because they don't fit well enough isn't just a bad idea.....it's outright Un American on the face of it. Many of the homeless with the worst problems fitting in are VETERANS and are there directly from the mind screw of fighting for their nation. This guy's a jerk in Uniform and on steroids.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Wow,

talk about looking a desperate person in the face, giving him/her a permit and then sending them back onto the street.

I certainly hope they combine this with some further assistance.

I do realize that some are on the streets by choice, but this seems kind of silly to me. Your homeless, you dont have a permit, then sent to jail to put further stress on the prison system. Waste of money.
edit on 17-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

These permits will be given to the people that actually want to go to jail to get their 3 hots and a cot. The people that just want to be left alone won't get them. I can see it now.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Waste of money? Depends on your perspective. I'm sure the businesses that invest in prisons see this as a great idea. Free Labor.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreebirdGirl
reply to post by MDDoxs

Waste of money? Depends on your perspective. I'm sure the businesses that invest in prisons see this as a great idea. Free Labor.

You hit the nail on the head. There is a small prison up in that area that does day labor. When I was working with a theater company up there they would use the prisoners all the time for moving props, and installing sets.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
A government big enough to give you everything is big enough to take it all away.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
A government big enough to give you everything is big enough to take it all away.

If we had that type of government we wouldn't have homeless people.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This just makes me sick

They should do something to the problem, not give law exceptions. Even Gaddhafi thought that a home was a human right that the nation should provide.

How hard could it be to build dorms where people without a home could go!?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
THe Hawaiians can camp on the beach... If I have to be homeless, I am going to use my last few bucks to get to Hawaii.

NYT story

“There was no choice but to come on the beach,” said Ms. Greenwood, 60, who is disabled because of a work-related injury eight years ago and lost her benefits a month before losing her home.

Homelessness in Hawaii has become so pervasive that the governor has assigned a state employee to work full time at getting people off the beaches and into transitional housing. Once there, they have access to rent assistance programs and low-income housing.

While hundreds of homeless people live on Honolulu’s beaches, including the tourist center Waikiki, it is the Waianae Coast on the semiarid west shore where the problem is most visible. The population of Waianae, home to about 40,000 of Oahu’s 900,000 people, is predominantly native Hawaiian and is historically low income.

Hawaii’s economy has been strong in the last two years, and the state consistently has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. The real estate market has skyrocketed along with the job growth, and houses on the Waianae Coast that rented for $200 or $300 a month a couple of years ago are now advertised for more than $1,000.

Nobody knows exactly how many people are living on the beach. Kaulana Park, the state’s point man for the homeless, estimated that more than 1,000 people lived on the Waianae Coast beaches, but he cautioned that any count was good only on the day it was taken. And that estimate does not account for the hidden homeless: people who sleep on a relative’s sofa, or in their cars, or camp in areas not as visible as the public beaches.

Many living on the beach have jobs, mostly in the service and construction sectors. They include families with children, who attend public schools by day and sleep in tents on the beach at night.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by varikonniemi

How hard could it be to build dorms where people without a home could go!?

We have that. Called Army, Navy Air Force, Marines...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Not for people with physical disabilities or mental problems, which a whole lot of homeless people have.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Next on the agenda: License to breath air and exhale CO2.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

Originally posted by Trustfund

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

If we had that type of government we wouldn't have homeless people.

Pardon please but your logic doesn't follow:
1. government is already big enough to give & take away
2. government isn't compelled to do the right thing
SO
Just because the resources exist, just because the needs of the homeless exist
Doesn't affect the policy or practice of our Government.

But it IS a nice thought nonetheless

ganjoa
edit on 17-11-2012 by ganjoa because: added the quote for clarity

top topics

<<   2 >>

join