It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Notifications of "Replies" to Posts Being Read before I read them?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I wonder if anyone else has experienced this disconcerting phenomenon...

Just now, I went to messages and clicked on 'Replies.'

A reply to one of my posts was listed to have happened at 10-ish this morning. I had not checked replies until just now. This reply alert was not bolded. (You know, when first get there, they are bolded until they have been clicked on & read.)

This has happened roughly 8 - 10 times in the last 6 months. I have changed my password in case one of my nosey family members was logging in as me, LoL.

Let me say, I have nothing to hide. I do not post hateful or troll-ish replies. I have twice had a post removed for being off topic, but never in a mean spirited way.

Does anyone have any idea why these notifications of replies to my posts would indicate someone other than me has viewed them? I seek to understand.
edit on 11/17/2012 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Never fear! That's just what happens when the person who sent it to you reads it again before you check it in your inbox. People question this all the time.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

But it is the notification of a reply to a post. It is 'auto-sent' by the system.
I said U2U in the title b/c these notifications are accessible in the same area. But it is not a message someone typed out directly to me. They just posted on a thread and the system notified me. Does that make sense?

How could they read this. I can't read notifications of posts I made in this area of "Messages," can I?

Maybe I am missing something!

ETA: I just changed the title to make it clearer!
edit on 11/17/2012 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Well, that certainly puts a different spin on it, but that has happened to me a few times recently and I assure you that nobody else has been on my computer but me. Could possibly be a glitch in the programming. I wouldn't worry.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I've had the same thing happen to me with personal messages and replies, like you said. I have even sent a message to someone and taken care not to read it first (because I knew that would show up as read for them and not light up their NEW MESSAGE button) and they told me later they hadn't read it because it was listed as read.

No idea why, sorry. I just kind of assume everything is read.

By the way, I really do love your avatar!
edit on 17-11-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I believe they are no longer bold when someone has replied to your post.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Well, that certainly puts a different spin on it, but that has happened to me a few times recently and I assure you that nobody else has been on my computer but me. Could possibly be a glitch in the programming. I wouldn't worry.

That would be my favorite answer.

Perhaps a Mod will weigh in. Like I said, I have nothing to hide. It is just puzzling and disconcerting is all. Also, most bothersome is that I have missed replies because I only tend to tune in to new notifications-- the ones that are bolded.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I believe they are no longer bold when someone has replied to your post.

Hey intrepid. I am talking about the notifications that someone HAS replied to my post. They are bolded until I click on them. Then they are no longer bolded, but still there unless I delete. The problem is, sometimes these notifications of Replies are 'un-bolded' the first time I see them. It is not always the first 'new' one or the last 'new' one. Sometimes it is in between other still-bolded notifications of replies.

You know... under "Messages" - then "Replies"

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Test.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Test.

Thanks- smart idea! The notification that this reply was here, was still bolded when I got there. I clicked on the words "intrepid replied' and it became 'un-bolded.'

I have two other ones beneath that (from darkbake and little16) which are still bolded b/c I have not clicked on them yet.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Nope. Both still bolded. Sorry, I have no idea.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Now I shall try it from another angle, since maybe this is what intrepid was trying to say to me.

As of this typing, the notification that says 'darkbake replied' is still bolded, because I have not clicked on it OR replied to her/him. After I submit this, I will return to the messages area and see if the aforementioned notification is still bolded, and report back!

To find the answer, we must systematically change only one variable at a time, right?

Be back shortly, and thanks for the compliment about my new Avatar, dark bake!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Ok, just keeping you up to speed. Please read the post above that I sent to darkbake, as this is the follow-up of that 'test.'

Went back to Messages - Replies and the notification saying 'darkbake replied' was still bolded. I refreshed the browser just to make sure.

A mystery indeed. Moral to the story, for one thing, don't always count on those notifications to stay bolded before you first see them. Scan the ones above and below the bolded ones because there may be brand new reply notifications hiding in an un-bolded manner!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

That has happened to me before. I was guessing perhaps I had accidentally hit on the post while I was perusing the thread but that doesn't even explain it since when I look at these un-bolded responses they ARE new to me. Good question! S&F

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

That has happened to me before. I was guessing perhaps I had accidentally hit on the post while I was perusing the thread but that doesn't even explain it since when I look at these un-bolded responses they ARE new to me. Good question! S&F

Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying. And it just happened again tonight. I went to "Replies" and there were three new ones listed but only the first two were bolded. Nearly missed the 3rd one because it's the bold ones that scream out "somebody answered you!"

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying. And it just happened again tonight. I went to "Replies" and there were three new ones listed but only the first two were bolded. Nearly missed the 3rd one because it's the bold ones that scream out "somebody answered you!"

Well in fact it happened again. Not sure what causes it. It doesn't bother me though as I realize in the internet I really have no expectations of privacy. Your reply was bolded but the one I just answered appeared to have been read already.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

Well in fact it happened again. Not sure what causes it. It doesn't bother me though as I realize in the internet I really have no expectations of privacy. Your reply was bolded but the one I just answered appeared to have been read already.

Yours was bolded for this post. Just so ya know.

Yeah, I'm like you... who knows who on this planet has access to what on the Internet, eh? Like I said, I hate when this happens and I miss a reply. On a creepy note-- it would be a crying shame if it were a hacker-stalker.

Naaaaaa....

new topics

top topics

join