What a Refreshing Change

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Bit of a local news story but as I'm not a big fan of the guys in charge here in the UK this stood out as a ray of light and I thought it worthy of a post .

This week around the England we had elections for the new post of local police commissioner , something I'm not keen on so I didn't vote along with most of the population of my country , but it went on and people were elected .

My region got a guy called Bill Longmore who stood as an independent and this is his first action in his new job ...

The man elected as Shropshire’s first-ever police commissioner has pledged to donate £20,000 from his £75,000-a-year salary to a new charity to help victims of crime.

Independent candidate Bill Longmore, who lives in Hanwood near Shrewsbury, said the money will be put towards establishing a new charity as he celebrated his victory in the West Mercia area. “It is a charity for the prevention of crime and to help victims of crime,” he said. Mr Longmore hailed his win as a victory for people power, with voters turning their backs on the traditional political parties.

Independent candidate Bill Longmore, of Hanwood near Shrewsbury, beat Conservative candidate Adrian Blackshaw and Labour’s Simon Murphy at the count in Shrewsbury yesterday. “It is a victory for common sense. The people have won because they voted for me and against politics in the police,” he said.
www.shropshirestar.com...

I'm starting to like the guy already , why can't we elect people like this to parliament

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing this OP.I salute this man.Others should model themselves after him and follow his example.As your original statement says,it's very refreshing to be reminded that ALL of humanity is not morally bankrupt,no matter how much we are inundated with news in the MSM to the contrary.S+F

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I hate to be a pessimist, because these are the kinda of stories that are missing in the news these days. But, I am always suspicious when someone does a charitable act, and then makes it public. To me making it public takes something away from it.
Even so it is a nice gesture...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

I fully understand your pessimism mate , the proof of the pudding is in the eating and the road to hell is paved with good intentions .... I think that's enough of that

Hopefully its because he feels 55 grand is enough for him and he wants to make a go of it , I think it also helps that he's not tied and any of the snout in the trough political parties , he could set a standard for the people that succeed him

Power to the People

new topics

join

Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant
read more: Ora.TV's Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant