It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops: Man plotted attack during 'Twilight' movie

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Is the story fiction, or did it actually happened. If it happened I dont see any demonization. I dont see anybody eager to kill the lucrative domestic arms market either.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
OH PLEASE!!!!!

C'mon folks, this gun-control-stunt is the most obvious one yet!! We have someone buying COMMON and POPULAR firearms that are sold every day by the TON to those exercising their 2nd Amendment RIGHT in America, and a mother, (who probably hasnt the SLIGHTEST idea about firearms) goes and reports HER OWN SON as buying "exactly the same COMMON POPULAR EVERYDAY firearms that were involved in the shooting!!!

IT STINKS SO BAD ON SO MANY LEVELS that it is LAUGHABLE!!!!

C'mon folks, put your thinking caps on.

We know that there is a "behind the scenes"push that will be done "under the radar" and planned for "after the election" for gun control involving assault rifles.
edit on 17-11-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by oper8zhin
OH PLEASE!!!!!

C'mon folks, this gun-control-stunt is the most obvious one yet!! We have someone buying COMMON and POPULAR firearms that are sold every day by the TON to those exercising their 2nd Amendment RIGHT in America, and a mother, (who probably hasnt the SLIGHTEST idea about firearms) goes and reports HER OWN SON as buying "exactly the same COMMON POPULAR EVERYDAY firearms that were involved in the shooting!!!

IT STINKS SO BAD ON SO MANY LEVELS that it is LAUGHABLE!!!!

C'mon folks, put your thinking caps on.

We know that there is a "behind the scenes"push that will be done "under the radar" and planned for "after the election" for gun control involving assault rifles.
edit on 17-11-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

That may fly in New York, Los Angeles or Chicago. This is rural Missouri and I know some of the personalities and people involved in this personally. I know the area and the general type of folk who live here by being a citizen of the same area for most of my adult life and very active outside my little bubble since getting off the truck a couple years ago. I've taken training directly from some of the men who the stories here talk about on the LEO side of the issue, among other ways I feel confident in holding opinions based on what we've heard thus far.

What you're suggesting is pure ignorance of this section of the nation and specifically this area of Missouri and very directly, how Polk County, Missouri functions. If the Polk County Sheriff deemed this scumbag to be a clear and present threat, then by God he was a threat and I'll take their word for that one until he's had his day in court....as all people have every right to. I may just sit in the court room as an observer on this one, given how close it may have come to touching my own family directly.

It takes all kinds..to be sure. In this case, maybe they stopped one before he killed innocent people. Score one for the good guys until otherwise proven, in my eyes.

here is an update, by the way...

A Bolivar man has been arrested and charged in Polk County Circuit Court with class B felony assault in the first degree, class C felony making a terrorist threat and felony armed criminal action after allegedly planning to shoot people with assault-type rifles at Bolivar Walmart.

According to a probable cause statement by Det. Dusty Ross of the Bolivar Police Department, Blaec James Lammers, 20, initially planned on attending a showing of the "Twilight" movie at B&B Theatre in Bolivar and shooting people at it.
Source

Looks like Bolivar PD is taking the lead. Good.... They have a country boy issue to overcome in their professionalism as a department..and they can just deal with that criticism because they've earned it for years. I still don't think they'll cut corners on something like this though. He's toast by the reports thus far. He just needs himself a fair trial to prove it and cook him well done for it.
edit on 17-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Of course. First we have the original story, with all of the many questions unanswered. Then we have, virtually, a "shooter of the week" story in the news. Then a little break for election cheating. Now, a case of a "plot foiled". All to make people afraid of normal gun owners. To place limits in ammo and guns we can own. People need to wise up. All the dictators take away the guns before taking over.

As a reality check, how many of those gun stories had the shooter supposedly kill themselves? Convenient, eh?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by j230ns

regulate the ammount of ammo we can buy? that UNAMERICAN.

You can NEVER have too much ammo

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel
I have been there and done this with people who say he could get guns many ways, but, if they weren't available, would he have done this crime with a knife? Clearly, with guns, his intention was to take out as many people as fast as he could.

Oh, boy, I can hear the "if everyone could conceal and carry," blah, blah, blah. He would have been taken out right away..........

Commence slamming me!

As to your first comment, those "people" are correct. There are already so many guns on the streets, even if you banned them tomorrow, people would still be able to get their hands on them. Would he have done it with a knife? Probably not... but maybe. Some murderers do choose to kill this way, even though most are too "meek" to. I hear bombs are pretty easy to make, also.

As to your second comment, I'll just say-- I'd almost be interested to see someone pull something like this in Texas.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by j230ns

Sigh...

This is so tragic and there's really no answer. Gun owernship advocacy will create avenues for getting around too many restrictions so that guns will slip through and too many people feel it's their right to own a gun (no judgements here). So how do we catch the few wackadoos who use weapons for purposes other than personal protection? Would you want to go through a full body scan or pat downs (think TSA) just to sit in a movie theatre munching on your popcorn?

I know that I wouldn't but conversely, I think twice now about going to the movies at all. I'd rather wait and watch it in the privacy and safety of my own home.

TG

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

I don't worry about it, personally. Where I live, enough people carry concealed (legally) that such a shooter would not be standing for long. Plus, I am not convinced that some of these cases aren't planned; set up to make people fear, and allow their freedoms to be removed. I read that the theater in Colorado was one that had "no gun" signs up.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

TPTB have bigger better guns and more folk to use em good luck fighting them
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yeah, they got.....who? US troops? US troops willing to kill their family and friends?

Back to the OP yes I agree why do you need 1000's of rounds? I think it was Chris rock who said "just make bullets a 100 bucks each then we will see less gun crime"

Why don't you need 1,000s of rounds?
Chris Rock tells jokes.
The truth is there has never been one mass shooting, murder, or any of the like made by a law abiding citizen.......ever.

When will people (mostly anti-gun nuts) learn that more laws/regulations will never stop a criminal.

The last mass shooting was done in a gun free zone, did that "no guns allowed" save one life?
No.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

I have been there and done this with people who say he could get guns many ways, but, if they weren't available, would he have done this crime with a knife? Clearly, with guns, his intention was to take out as many people as fast as he could.

It is easy to get any gun on the black market, even in countries that band guns, but it is just as easy to make an IED from the stuff you have under the sink. So, your knife story was cool bro, but pointless because a killer will still kill.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

A well-stated argument for gun advocates and you're right, I wouldn't put it passed our government to create such a fear-mongering event as a means to an end. Unfortunately, I do not live in a state where you can carried a concealed weapon into a public facility without being some arm of law enforcement or active military (you need to leave it in your car) so I think I'll stick with my plan for watching the movies at home...

TG

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

What if I told you that having an illegal gun, and/or using one in any crime would result in life in prison?
Even if it is a 1st offense, how many people do you think would be gang-banging then?

How many crimes would go down if almost everyone (law abiding citizens) had a gun?
According to what we know of history and today, not many at all.

How many crimes would go down if no one (law abiding citizens) had a gun?
Again, from what we know, a hell of a lot more.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by timidgal

A well-stated argument for gun advocates and you're right, I wouldn't put it passed our government to create such a fear-mongering event as a means to an end. Unfortunately, I do not live in a state where you can carried a concealed weapon into a public facility without being some arm of law enforcement or active military (you need to leave it in your car) so I think I'll stick with my plan for watching the movies at home...

TG

Well, there are places in the town we live in that post "no guns" signs, too, so even in states with good laws, you can be restricted. I do know what you mean, though. I made a point of avoiding a lot of places after 9/11, that would make good targets. Never was much of one for malls anyway, but theme parks were a problem. Any really big event was an automatic "no".

Maybe if enough people stood up and demanded that we are allowed to protect ourselves, and refused, publicly and noisily, to do no business with places that don't allow guns, things might change.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GunzCoty

Excellent points, all, and I think most people agree. It's the ones making the rules we have to change. That, and convincing people that protecting themselves is better than trusting someone else to do it. Even good cops can't be there in moments.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

GunzCrazy, I don't know where you got the impression that I was a gun advocate. I was merely acknowledging the well-stated opinion of a fellow member. I'm open and honest enough to give credit when someone makes a valid point, even if I personally may not agree.

I think that any type of advocacy - whether it's too far to the right or too far to the left, is patronizing. Although you and I may not like it, the fact remains that gun ownership is one of our constitution rights. Start stripping that away and where does it stop?

We may not like it, but those are the hard cold facts. Sorry but we can agree to disagree.

TG

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I was trying to tell you we need less gun laws and stronger punishments.
As well as more gun owners

ETA: I never said you were a gun advocate, and nice "label" you tried to give me there.

edit on 11/18/2012 by GunzCoty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

TG

Well, there are places in the town we live in that post "no guns" signs, too, so even in states with good laws, you can be restricted. I do know what you mean, though. I made a point of avoiding a lot of places after 9/11, that would make good targets. Never was much of one for malls anyway, but theme parks were a problem. Any really big event was an automatic "no".

Maybe if enough people stood up and demanded that we are allowed to protect ourselves, and refused, publicly and noisily, to do no business with places that don't allow guns, things might change.

I think that in a perfect world, an advocate of gun ownership would agree with your statement (or even not in a perfect world if their beliefs were strong enough), but the reality is that we don't live in a perfect world. We live in the type you have described - scared and insecure - and when that's the pervasive environment, you just can not count that everyone will be rational enough to follow your philosophy. Unfortunately, fear breeds even more fear which creates an explosive situation. I too changed a lot of my habits and levels of comfort after 9/11, but I still didn't think that carrying a gun was an answer. Adrenaline can be a dangerous thing if you're not properly trained to deal with it. Just my opinion but I'm trying to keep an open mind to your perspective.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I admit that your statements create some ambiguity due to their paradoxical perspectives.

With that said, I apologize if I insulted you by misunderstand and I never tried to put a label on you. I merely was confused by your position. I think I've shown myself to be a pretty open minded participant in this discussion...

TG

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I think that in a perfect world, an advocate of gun ownership would agree with your statement (or even not in a perfect world if their beliefs were strong enough), but the reality is that we don't live in a perfect world. We live in the type you have described - scared and insecure - and when that's the pervasive environment, you just can not count that everyone will be rational enough to follow your philosophy. Unfortunately, fear breeds even more fear which creates an explosive situation. I too changed a lot of my habits and levels of comfort after 9/11, but I still didn't think that carrying a gun was an answer. Adrenaline can be a dangerous thing if you're not properly trained to deal with it. Just my opinion but I'm trying to keep an open mind to your perspective.

Well, there might be some that could not handle guns, but in the past, people just had them as a matter of course. Our nation's settlers were armed people. They had guns for hunting, and for protection against attack. Certainly, some were not as well balanced, but overall, they had far less crime. People don't invade homes, or mug people, if they think they can die as a result. ALL of the stats show this is true.

Guns out in public, whether concealed or not, legally carried, cut crime, too. I have been in situations where I could have needed a gun. I have known people that wish they'd had one, and didn't. Now, that said, I do think people should TRAIN before they carry. They need to know the laws, the safety issues, the proper handling, and how to aim. Nothing at all wrong with that, and our ancestors did those things as a matter of daily life. My kids know about gun safety, and there isn't any mystery. Even if told they can hold one, properly cleared (and in their sight), they tend to want to NOT touch one, because they know how dangerous they can be. They also know, though, that if someone came through our door, we could fight back.

There are many cases of people's lives being saved because they were armed. Far more cases than any regarding accidental deaths. Most of the crooks carry illegally. I want people to be smart about guns, and sensible. I also want people safe. From whatever threat might come.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join