It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If The Average Human Lifespan Increased 3x, How Would It Affect Our Morals, Philosophies etc...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm not going to take credit for this question as I just read it on... reddit. Here is a link.

This question actually came to me from Mass Effect (can't remember which game in the series, might've been 3). There some dialogue about how universal policy didn't matter as much to humans because of their significantly shorter lifespans compared to other races (I am probably misquoting, but I believe that was the general sentiment). This got me thinking about the following questions:

-If the average human lifespan was significantly longer (e.g. 200+ years), would our morals, philosophies, choices be different?

-What kind of effects would it have on our governments, economies, or religions?

I think this is a very interesting question and while I like reddit and the comments I would also like the opinion of ATSer's as well.

I haven't actually read any replies in that thread yet, but will as I check back here.

I certainly think that living 3x longer would drastically change our perception of the world. I look back and realize how much I've changed in the last 5 years with more experience, and I'm sort of astonished. Looking back farther I'm even more surprised. It's sort of a given that our elders are wiser than we are in many respects. I'm sure when I hit 30 I'm going to have a different outlook on life and the world then I do now. I've always been aware that my opinions are going to change with more life experience, but it sure sneaks up on me when not actively contemplating it.

I actually believe that if we lived longer the world would be a much better place. I think that we would be forced to really weigh our decisions, and the long term consequences on a much deeper level. You can tell me that we need to stop polluting, and of course I care about future generations but it doesn't really sink in because by the time the sky is black I will probably be gone. I would assume this apathy could be brought to a halt if I decided to mate and have some kittens, and it's sort of bad form on my part but there it is.

Then there's the thought that we would remain pretty much the same, if we expected to live a certain amount of time. I dunno.

What ways do you think we would change if any? For the betterment of mankind?

Oh and as the OP on reddit states lets pretend aging stays the same, or for every 3 years you age 1.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I was reading through the comments on my lunch about this question!

I broke down and paid for the full version of Alien Blue

To the question, I think we'd see people having more than one marriage, and kids with multiple spouses over the years. I know in some Arthur C. Clark book he talks about people being married multiple times over the span of say, 300 years.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I broke down and paid for the full version of Alien Blue

I just did too! Weird. Got sick of clicking the wrong link.

Interesting point. I can certainly see that happening. 'Meh we've been married 40 years time to switch it up!'.

Tell the truth, were you going to call me out for stealing from reddit? I would have been.

Also, danger zone.
edit on 16-11-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Great thread dude

Well seeing (real) anti aging products are just around the corner I guess some of us may see this happen in our lifetimes.
I think as long as you do not sire 100's of kids this can only be a good thing for mankind. If we can keep our brain in a decent state we will get wiser and hopefully a better specie.
I just finished a book where people download their mind every few months and if you die you get uploaded to a younger you, so some people are on their 6th 7th lives.

But some people become bitter with age and end up hating the world so maybe it isn't good for us all.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I don't know about anyone else but it would make sense that we would also have to work 3x as long before retiring.

I vote NO!

And as to:

I think that we would be forced to really weigh our decisions, and the long term consequences on a much deeper level.

We are a very greedy, selfish and foolish species. I think people would take the attitude of thinking they can take more chances with having plenty of time to pay the piper IMO.

Peace

edit on 16-11-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I was thinking about this some TIME ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Time is a huge factor. For the record, I hate watches. Wish we still used sundials.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Complicated. In my opinion people flock to religion because of the fear of mortality and the need to believe loved ones will live on. I am not meaning that as a point for or against faith mind you-simply the need to believe.

If humanity was not so concerned about death-I think it could usher in a true golden era where people would not be terrified of compassion towards each other out of fear of crossing one taboo or another in their attempts to secure treasure when they die.

Even three times the life span-would change civilization dramatically.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Would you mind sharing the name of the book? I'm reading one right now I still can't get in to.

I also think that there would have to be a decline in our breeding habits, I don't think the planet could sustain that many people but I also think if we had a huge abundance of young people they would counteract our old folk wisdom.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I don't know why I haven't bothered to figure out how to quote multiple posts, but I haven't. I need to. If someone explains it to me I can offer a star and happy vibes directed at them.

I don't know about anyone else but it would make sense that we would also have to work 3x as long before retiring.

I was thinking about that too. I already find it unfortunate that people have to work past 50. I suppose that's the way the cookie crumbles but it seems unfair. On the flip side, if we had more time to think about it perhaps we could figure out a way around this.

We are a very greedy, selfish and foolish species. I think people would take the attitude of thinking they can take more chances with having plenty of time to pay the piper IMO.

Another good point. I can see that happening as well. So instead of realizing you're going to be around for a long time, you just figure meh, I'm going to be around for a long time. I can right those wrongs later. And then you're 200 something and realize.....

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Anti-aging could be a good thing; and a bad thing. It would be very good in the sense that we could accomplish and learn so much more. But bad in the sense that people wouldn't be deterred from things like substance abuse anymore. Not that people are all that deterred now, but people would definitely be less inclined to hold back. I'll admit it, if there was a way to reverse damage to the body I'd be smoking and drinking much more, and would most likely be going through Demerol like Pez candies LOL.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I think human beings would live life, with a greater sense of worth.

I think life would even be more precious.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
How would it effect you if you realized that what you are never dies? And you get a new pair of eyes to see out of every now and then?
edit on 17-11-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

No proof of reincarntion. Can you rememver your past lifes?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by Itisnowagain

No proof of reincarntion. Can you rememver your past lifes?

Can you remember all the dreams you dreamt last night?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

To be honest about calling you out...yeah a little, but you gave a disclaimer so it's all good!

In the Arthur C. Clarke books, people get married, have kids, retire, divorce, get re-married, have kids again, ect...

I think that if people were able to live to be 300+ we'd see that potentially happening.

d-d-danger zone!

edit on 17-11-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I believe life would be a lot more precious and cherished as it would be a longer process and cycle of events.
Hopefully people would become more peaceful.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Reminds me of old sci-fi where "kids" played til their 50's or 60's - and no one was allowed to take positions of authority before then. Kinda like Hobbits.

...I'd support that.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
There is a good movie called The Man From Earth. If you haven't seen it you should, because it ties into this question perfectly. I believe it wouldn't affect our Morals that much. To survive now in society, we go with the flow. We would still be doing this 100-200 years into our life. So if moral attitude changes, then yes, our morals would change as well. As for philosophies, yes, 100%. When living for 100-200 years you would see how religions and mindsets develop over time. How people act and change according to the situations they are in, and how philosophies are just ways of understanding it all, and by no means a dogma for everyone to follow.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I would hate to see the present populations here in the USA living three times longer. We are a wasteful society that wants more than we need, causing a destruction to the Ecosystem. The people who would survive if this did happen would probably be the ones who would do anything to survive. Another words, the most ruthless would live the longest.

I am not afraid of dying, to stay around and see the destruction of this earth would be depressing. Man has the ability to destroy this ecosystem and he will if strict regulations are not enacted. None of this includes taxing people, it includes getting the greedy out of power. When I discover the information that will extend our lives, I will not use it or tell others. I will let it die with me, giving little hints to others.

People don't listen to the old people anymore, assuming they are outdated and that they are getting senile because they can't understand that remote with sixty buttons. Why does a remote need sixty buttons? Why do we need remotes in the first place. We are getting fat because we don't get up to change the channel anymore.
People tax their brains memorizing how to use a remote and can't even add unless they have a calculator.

Maybe I am getting old. Maybe I just can't get interested in a video game because I am too old. I prefer to work in the garden and study medicine and the properties of food. I have worked harder than most people today and there are many others that have worked harder than I have. Not many of the young in this country like to work hard anymore, their idea of hard is being tied to a computer at work all day or walking to a file cabinet to get information. We are getting lazy with this technology, we have put everything at our fingertips. People just sit at a desk and don't even get up to go outside and have a smoke. What is happening to our young and even the middle aged people. They have no patients, everything has to be at their fingertips. They can't even cook their meals anymore, they trust that others do it better. I was there for a while, I thought restaurant food was better than homemade for a while.....Till I studied foods and found how to make them very good for you and taste great.

I was guilty too. I thought that since I worked hard I deserved more than I needed. We ate in restaurants for years and our health slowly declined. It's hard to decipher how to fix what our neglect has created. I will do it though, repairing all the problems I have accumulated. I will not tell anyone about some things I discovered but will give hints buried in conversations like most old people do. When you have a NDE your mind sometimes matures, giving you the insight of a much more mature person. I am starting to understand that things happen for a reason and my allergy to the meds had positive effects as long as I learn from my mistakes and study more of what man knows. Half of what I study is how science hides the truth in patents. Some say I am paranoid but change their tune when I tell them how and why to do certain things to cure an ailment. With a little research they adjust their diet and the problem disappears.

Most people with strong morals will not want to live longer than ninety five. Once their reason for living is done they will want to move on. It is not like the old days where the old were respected, the old are looked on as weak and unintelligent today by most people, unable to keep up with the stupid advancements we have created. The young cannot see their own flaws and the aged that they respect are just like them, unable to see their own flaws also. I don't think the society we have created is good myself. I see that there is still respect for their elders in some families but the numbers of these kinds of families is getting less and less. I also notice people talk slower and louder to some old people, they think all old people can't see and comprehend what they say. Just because terminology changes doesn't mean that the old don't understand.

Sorry about the long rant about how people treat the old, I am not even old yet, I am observing others interactions with old people. I guess that when you hit fifty many young people think you are old and your brain is failing from eating years of toxins in the food. They are actually right in most cases, those who eat naturally home cooked foods have all their marbles yet though and some can eat these chemicals without trouble. Survival of the fittest I guess.

new topics

top topics

join