It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds Oldest D20 Die Found in Egypt

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
When at rest theres no flat side on the top, I wonder how they decided which surface to read from?

The dungeon master decided..

Interesting find.. My question is what did they need it for? What kind of game was it used with?

The more we dig the more we realize we have absolutely no clue about our past history.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

When at rest theres no flat side on the top, I wonder how they decided which surface to read from?

I believe it was suspended in blue liquid inside a black sphere with a small clear porthole.
edit on 11/17/2012 by 0001391 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/17/2012 by 0001391 because: removed quoted image

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I dunno. The incising on the letters looks TOO modern when compared with the one Hans posted (which has some provenance.) It looks machine tooled and not hand carved.

Of course, I'm a suspicious old bat.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
There were lots of die/dice based games in ancient times, few authors found it a subject of interest so the gamesand how they were played were lost. Mankind has a liking for 'chance' especially when he believe he has 'magic' that will turn the die to what he wants - to gather resources

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm fairly impressed by the level of design geometry, the fabrication complexities involved and accuracy achieved, especially for a toy.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
How much do you think this is worth? Because I'd like to buy it and use it during my next D&D session.

"Who's the Game Master, beeyatch?! ME! That's who. You insignificant hobbit!"

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoAstra

"You have entered the door to the north. The pungent stench of mildew emanates from the wet dungeon walls"

WHERE ARE THE CHEETO'S?

I cast a spell!

"They're right next to you, duh!"

"What spell are you casting?"
edit on 18-11-2012 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I -need- this for my D20 collection!!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
What an awesome find!

I wonder how good of crits this can get?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by guppy

I think you mean Dungeon Master

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheToastmanCometh
reply to post by guppy

LOL! You know, I never liked the term Dungeon Master. It always made me felt like I'm some S&M freak with a Gimp hidden in the basement, like in Pulp Fiction... Creepyeeee!

Just call me The Game Master. It makes me feel like I'm the Master of Weaving your thoughts and actions. Muhahaha!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by guppy

Originally posted by TheToastmanCometh
reply to post by guppy

LOL! You know, I never liked the term Dungeon Master. It always made me felt like I'm some S&M freak with a Gimp hidden in the basement, like in Pulp Fiction... Creepyeeee!

Just call me The Game Master. It makes me feel like I'm the Master of Weaving your thoughts and actions. Muhahaha!

Alright Game Master

So what's your rankings?

I'm a Level 3 Chaotic Neutral Drow Ranger (starting over again)
with 37 hitpoints/5900xp

12 in strength, 16 in Dex, 18 Con, 15 Int, 11 Wis, 14 Charisma with a Masterworked Mighty Composite Bow, Scimitar and Kukri. Chain shirt and steel shield

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

edit on 21-11-2012 by TheToastmanCometh because: double post-don't know why this keeps happening

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It would be nice to see someone find out how to play old games, make them, and market them.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This is a great find, but I doubt that it qualifies as the world's oldest die.

The most famous dice game of antiquity took place in ancient India and ultimately was the cause behind the famous Mahabharata War, c. 3102 BCE.

In a dice game, Yuddhisthira had not only gambled away his own kingdom as well as the kingdoms of each of his brothers, he also gambled away the honor of his wife, a woman that was said to have been married to all five brothers at the same time.

It was only after he'd lost it all that he accused the opposing player of cheating, and this accusation ultimately led to a war that is said to have killed roughly four million Vedic warriors and to have lasted only a mere 18 days.

All over a game of dice….

Amazing.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I'll bet that die rolls crit fails all the time. How do I know? No one, NO ONE, just leaves their lucky die lying around like that.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Riddles

wow, i did not know the war started over dice.
do they still have the dice involved in the game?
great post.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoAstra

Anyone remember this cartoon in the old AD&D TSR DMG 1st Edition (Dungeon Masters Guide) ?

i am sure there is the D20 and D12's, D8's, D10's and D4's in there somewhere, as well as the 2xD6 being roled now.

"It's a great new fantasy role-playing game. We pretend we're workers and students in an industrialized and technological society."

It seems the artist was right after all. ROFL.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join