It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They Cracked This 250 Year-Old Code, And Found a Secret Society Inside

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Giordano Bruno approves.

edit on 7/2/2013 by ForkandSpoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ForkandSpoon

You actually may be able to help me...I waded through the translation of the Copiale Codex the other day...which is not fun reading, I really hope someone does a proper transliteration soon, dull doesn't even come into it
Anyway, while it does definately seem to be largely based upon Masonic ritual, and admits to be such, there were one or two things that struck me as odd, and potentially in keeping with the idea of it being to do with making lenses for telescopes and microscopes, as well as photographic technology...namely, the text refers to a camera obscura and a goniometer...are they normally part of Masonic ritual/initiation? I can kind of see that they might be, but I would really like to know if they are not...if you know what I mean?

Many thanks.
edit on 9-2-2013 by KilgoreTrout because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
...namely, the text refers to a camera obscura and a goniometer...are they normally part of Masonic ritual/initiation? I can kind of see that they might be, but I would really like to know if they are not...if you know what I mean?

Neither are a part of the normal ritual we use in my jurisdiction but I have been to a few lodges that employ the camera obscura as a Chamber of Reflection (which would be the literal translation-'darkened room').

I have not seen a goniometer used in any ritual in my jurisdiction.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

...namely, the text refers to a camera obscura and a goniometer...are they normally part of Masonic ritual/initiation? I can kind of see that they might be, but I would really like to know if they are not...if you know what I mean?

Neither are a part of the normal ritual we use in my jurisdiction but I have been to a few lodges that employ the camera obscura as a Chamber of Reflection (which would be the literal translation-'darkened room').

I have not seen a goniometer used in any ritual in my jurisdiction.

I did think the camera obscura was probable in context, but the goniometer seemed to be taking things a little too far, analogy wise.

That is really helpful, thank you very much.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I did think the camera obscura was probable in context, but the goniometer seemed to be taking things a little too far, analogy wise.

What was the context of the analogy out of curiosity?

That is really helpful, thank you very much.

No worries.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

What was the context of the analogy out of curiosity?

Sorry, what I meant was when I was trying to find an analogous meaning for it being mentioned in the context of the ritual described in the Codex. I don't know whether you have read it, but it is very explicit about the details of the ritual...which to my untrained eye (no pun intended) seemed all very Masonic...King's 7, Ashlar...stuff like that...it was just those two items that struck me as particularly odd....angles of cuts possibly...but it seemed a stretch. Also, I think it may have been used instead of a drafting compass, though I would have to read it again to be sure (please NO)...because while I distinctly remember they marked out the cardinal points, I am not sure I remember a square and compass being mentioned...I am going to have to read it again...damn it!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The mention in this thread of tobacco and the thumb and third finger ritual would prompt, as James Bond might exclaim in the movies, "You're full of it, Rodney." The Copiale cipher is in diapers. Oswald Cockayne quotes from the Lacnunga (585 A.D.): 'Gather vervain at the rising of the Dog Star when the moon is below the horizon; use the thumb and third finger of the left hand only.'
(Cockayne, Leechdoms, Wortcunning and Starcraft of Early England)

This also resonates with the Druids, the Cauldron of Cerridwen, and Taliesin.
celtic.org...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Sorry, what I meant was when I was trying to find an analogous meaning for it being mentioned in the context of the ritual described in the Codex.

Ah. The only thing that I can think of that is close is perhaps the Past Masters Jewel which is a Square and Compasses with a Quadrant. The quadrant allows you to determine what angle the compasses are open to which is similar to the goniometer but not exact. This may be the origins of its use since you explained that there is a good deal of Masonic symbolism in the Codex.

Also, I think it may have been used instead of a drafting compass, though I would have to read it again to be sure (please NO)...because while I distinctly remember they marked out the cardinal points, I am not sure I remember a square and compass being mentioned...I am going to have to read it again...damn it!

I think you may be right in this hypothesis based on the jewel I mentioned above and their similar, real-world applications.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinocchio

Sir Joshua Reynolds was a member of the Royal Society of Art. That is why we find it interesting to trace his Reynolds line to Australia: the Reynolds coat-of-arms indeed depicts three foxes, though Deleuze in his book, Bergsonism, also expounds on the Triplicity of Flux while also exposing Einstein's Relativity theory as a symbol for a fiction. The already-mentioned ophthalmological should have been clue enough to grasp that knowledge (including the medical, the herbal) went esoteric precisely because of the delirious xian advance(C.G. Jung: Why I Am Not a Catholic). Freemasonry, like the Copiale, is in mimetic diapers.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Sorry for long absence and thread necro....but I already did help. My response was directly connected to what you posted, there is a connection. Good luck....

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join