It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oops! Taliban Reveal Identities of Their Mailing List Members

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Oops! Taliban Reveal Identities of Their Mailing List Members

Source

Somewhere out there, Mullah Omar must be shaking his head.

In a Dilbert-esque faux pax, a Taliban spokesperson sent out a routine email last week with one notable difference.He publicly CC'd the names of everyone on his mailing list.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 16-11-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Somehow, I doubt that we will ever know the exact list.. and perhaps we shouldn't... considering personal privacy and all....

But this email was sent by Qari Yousuf Ahmedi with 400 email addresses visible... enabling whoever DOES have access to it to know exactly who is "in the know" when it comes to the Taliban's ongoing 'announcements, which have increased in frequency by a considerable amount.

The list, made up of more than 400 recipients, consists mostly of journalists, but also includes an address appearing to belong to a provincial governor, an Afghan legislator, several academics and activists, an l Afghan consultative committee, and a representative of Gulbuddein Hekmatar, an Afghan warlord whose outlawed group Hezb-i-Islami is believed to be behind several attacks against coalition troops.

A humorous note:

Qari Yousuf Ahmedi did not return emails requesting a comment.

I have a feeling he won't be around for a while....

[url=http://abcnews.go.com/International/taliban-accidentally-reveal-identities-mailing-list-members/story?id=17737950#.UKa0LeQ0V8H]abcnews.go.com[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Omar is doing a face palm. How do hard core Taliban have e-mail tho? Do they run phone lines out to their mud huts?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Hmmm, email address lead to IP addresses, which lead to physical addresses, which lead to drone strikes!

Yes, I can see how this could be a major faux pas!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Somehow, I doubt that we will ever know the exact list.. and perhaps we shouldn't... considering personal privacy and all....

OK That made me chuckle.
Yes, by all means lets protect their privacy. Nobody should have cracked the German or Japanese codes during WW-II

I know what you're saying it just seemed funny to me.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It could be a fake diversion list, or the e-mail itself delivered from a decoy.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

Well, it must suck to be the owners of the TOR exit nodes used to access those emails

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

But this email was sent by Qari Yousuf Ahmedi with 400 email addresses visible...

So, I wonder what was going thru Mr.Ahmedi's mind when he found out what he did?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
So, I wonder what was going thru Mr.Ahmedi's mind when he found out what he did?

A drone launched Hellfire missile?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks for "getting it."

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

well that would depend on a lot of things. VPN's, TOR, Proxies. All of them can be used for free. An aircard would also not really lead to an "address" as you can use those on the go. However, if their email addresses are linked to your name, like "[email protected]" then yea you are kind of screwed if you dont live in a cave.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gangdumstyle

My thoughts exactly, it would be an easy way to cause a lot of misery for a select group of people!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
A list of possible names on Taliban mailing list.

CNN
PARIS HILTON
FOX
MSNBC
LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK
ABC
NBC
BRITANY SPEARS
CBS
WHITE HOUSE
PENTAGON
A LEPRECHAUN I KILLED IN MEXICO OF ALL PLACES
U.N SECRETARY GENERAL
MOSSAD
C.I.A.
DOD
GLEN BECK
RACHEL MADDOW
JUSTIN BEIBER
PUTIN
GENE SIMMONS
HEFFICIDE
PETE ROSE
BELLA THORNE
MY BROTHER IN LAW
NICK POPE
JAY Z and BEYONCE is PISSED

Thank you for your time.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BrainGarden

Hey now..... (gets dark look of suspicion) Is there something about our favorite Mod we don't know about? Why would 'ol Heff make their mailing list? Hmm... I smell the smoke of a new scandal brewing!

In seriousness, I know this could happen to anyone....still I cant help but note the irony of such a colossal screw up being made by someone belonging to a religious sect that swears off all technology in favor of the living described centuries ago. I guess making the transition to 21st century technology can be a rough road?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Alqueda, mossad, cia are so inter-twinned I wonder if there is any difference between them at all. Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. I have been here a while so I know what i am talking about.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I wonder how many people were on that list that should be on that list? i.e.. "friendlies"

How come stratfor emails get posted but we can't see the Taliban list?

Wikileaks only likes US bashing material?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Alqueda, mossad, cia are so inter-twinned I wonder if there is any difference between them at all. Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. I have been here a while so I know what i am talking about.

That's the funny part. I remember reading one book which was a personal (albeit second hand) account of an intelligence agent in a suspect mosque in a european country.

Basically, he said in the mosque there were undercover intelligence agents from Russia, Germany, UK, USA, Canada, and 1 or 2 other nations.

No one knew exactly who the "suspected terrorists" were because they were all intelligence operatives.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

That's the funny part. I remember reading one book which was a personal (albeit second hand) account of an intelligence agent in a suspect mosque in a european country.

Basically, he said in the mosque there were undercover intelligence agents from Russia, Germany, UK, USA, Canada, and 1 or 2 other nations.

No one knew exactly who the "suspected terrorists" were because they were all intelligence operatives.

Well congress and the white house want to get rich from peoples collective naivety, so what better way then to pay secret operatives to explode bombs in mosques or have hamas launch rockets? They are exempt from insider trading laws.

And lucifer needs his fix of religious sacrifice. Don't forget that!

The operatives worship benjamin franklins.

The world goes round and round, new fools are born every minute, few get wiser!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by BrainGarden

In seriousness, I know this could happen to anyone....still I cant help but note the irony of such a colossal screw up being made by someone belonging to a religious sect that swears off all technology in favor of the living described centuries ago.

I think you're confusing Islam with the Amish.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Kolya

Naww... I'm thinking about the Taliban regime that ran Afghanistan in that 6th century mode for as long as they had control. Things like banning music, games, kites or anything else which could 'distract' from the devotion to Allah. They were extremely serious on that point and shot people in the head with surprising frequency in the stadium in Kabul. A very nasty if not outright evil bunch of people, in my personal opinion. I wouldn't confuse the Taliban with the vast majority of Islam though...any more than they would. Islam is a religion and I'm not sure what I'd quite call the other....aside from a mutually agreed enemy.

edit on 16-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join