It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall St protesters wipe $5m off America's debt

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike.Ockizard
reply to post by XPLodER

It's good to see OWS do this. I would donate to this cause. Any info on how to contribute? If this spreads it could be a game changer....

If You go to the first thread about Occupy helping abolish debt, there is a video or you can youtube it, either way they give the information to donate the money on that video. I would also donate if I had the money, sadly when I did a month ago, I didn't know about the fundraiser. Oh well, maybe they will still be taking donations in February and I can then donate. It'd be real nice to say I was a part of helping them abolish debt.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
5 million can sure buy a lot of police mace

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It is sad it has come to this. The people should not have to carry the burden of bailing themselves out. It is clear the capitalist class has left the common people to fend for themselves while they swim in the surplus value of labor and capital debt. It angers me to see what the capitalist class has done to my fellow Americans. The nation of my birth has been brought to it`s knees by the ruling capitalist class. They have exploited my people and created a paper empire which is used by nations around the world for their own agendas and benefit.

The American right-wing has lost it`s mind and is hell bent on creating either a civil war or total uncontrollable anarchy. At the same time, the so-called new leftist movement has forgotten what it means to be a leftist by abandoning Marxism and playing the same neoliberal game as the ruling capitalist class. The current material conditions are not sustainable and can only lead to total collapse of society. At this point, it is very clear that the only rule is that there is no rules. It has become a mad dash to profit at all cost to society and nation.

This is not good America. This will not end well and I hope my fellow Americans understand this and can also understand the value of standing together in solidarity so at least there will be a fighting chance to reverse the path the nation is headed.

With that said, I commend the efforts of Occupy to remove the slavery which is forced debt from their fellow Americans. It is clear that Occupy is a true expression of nationalism and concern for society at large. Nationalism, in the current material conditions of society, is still valid and needed in order for society to function. Occupy is a prime example of the positive aspects of nationalism.
edit on 17-11-2012 by freedomwv because: grammar

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Nice job xploder

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

for this narrow purpose, the extinguishing of debt,
i think we should take corporate donations,
any company not using the debt market or distressed debt market for profit,
should be allowed to pledge to buy debt either on their own,
or through occupy and receive an "occupy friendly" logo for their products
when they discharge the purchased debt

this must be ONLY for this purpose, medical and student debt,
the company MAY use this to offset tax liability,
but a percentage of the tax break should also go to direct help (say 1%) to non occupy charities and educational trusts

in this manner we can give our support as a group to companies that are socially minded

from a personal sense we can all do this in our tax filings, to offset tax
and liberate individuals from debt

the new charity is the gift that keeps on giving

note disclaimer
i am not a tax lawyer and this is not intended as legal advice, or tax advice "consult a professional"

xploder
edit on 17-11-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Brilliant. Good work fellas. Keep punching them below the belt. Occupy America!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I would like to point out that it's not just banks that send items to collections. I work for a non-profit carsharing organization, and if a member takes a car and totals it, and doesn't pay the deductible, we have to send that money to collections. And yes, it does hurt our other members because that money we had to spend to fix the car could have gone to the members for a banquet, or a new vehicle, or to pay for a board member to go to the capital and get help from the state to improve sustainable transportation. If a member doesn't pay for the car they wrecked, and then gets their debt wiped off, it helps the irresponsible member who totals a community car and doesn't pay for it. It doesn't help the people of that neighborhood who now have to go without a car because of the irresponsible member.
edit on 11/17/2012 by Xaberz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike.Ockizard

You can go to www.rollingjubilee.org and scroll down to the bottom of the page to donate. I threw 20 dollars in (enough to get rid of 400 dollars worth of debt for someone). I think it's really great that you can watch the donations coming in real time. Up to $327,000 dollars now... enough to erase 6.5m dollars worth of debt!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaberz
I would like to point out that it's not just banks that send items to collections. I work for a non-profit carsharing organization, and if a member takes a car and totals it, and doesn't pay the deductible, we have to send that money to collections. And yes, it does hurt our other members because that money we had to spend to fix the car could have gone to the members for a banquet, or a new vehicle, or to pay for a board member to go to the capital and get help from the state to improve sustainable transportation. If a member doesn't pay for the car they wrecked, and then gets their debt wiped off, it helps the irresponsible member who totals a community car and doesn't pay for it. It doesn't help the people of that neighborhood who now have to go without a car because of the irresponsible member.
edit on 11/17/2012 by Xaberz because: (no reason given)

maby i should be clear,
at this point ONLY medical debt is being purchased for legal exhaustion of debt,
IMHO we could extend this to education debt defaults as well

so your example of loss is NOT IN ANY WAY relevant in the current instance,
sick people are NOT at fault that medical costs are HUGE

car crashes have nothing to do with THIS

PS congrats on being part of a car sharing service, i like that

xploder

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Indeed, maybe the best way to change the system is to use the system that was designed to put boots on the necks of the people for the exact opposite function. Help the people stand up.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

why is debt cheep for everyone except the person in it?

Funny enough, if you are a big bank in financial trouble, you can buy back your own debt trading at a major discount.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

I find it a very Capitalistic and Libertarian method of doing good by an organization with strong Communistic and Progressive leanings

So you admit that the force behind OWS has communist leanings....so it's the public banded together to make private debt public using the Capitalist system.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Heck, I thought it was common knowledge. Which is why I stay clear of those idiots....and yes, if you support communism - you are just a useful idiot.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by jefwane

I find it a very Capitalistic and Libertarian method of doing good by an organization with strong Communistic and Progressive leanings

So you admit that the force behind OWS has communist leanings....so it's the public banded together to make private debt public using the Capitalist system.

now are you trying to derail my thread with your commie crap?
what is being done is using the current capitalistic system for "charity" (good)
INSTEAD OF BLIND RUTHLESS PROFIT (evil)

to try to turn this into left and right
or
commie or capitalist is your way of saying, "let the sick suffer"

you try to make this about you?

for shame on you

xploder

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

So you should be allowed to borrow money to buy things you can't afford and not have to pay it back?

[sarcasm]Can they wipe out my credit card debt? Just for me? Because I think I'm so special? And that I'm above paying back someone I borrowed from?[/sarcasm]

I agree that bailing out companies with taxpayer dollars is wrong, but what kind precedent are you setting when you just voluntarily wipe out other peoples' debt, randomly?

I think this is the beginning of a slippery slope that may create more problems than solutions.

edit on 17-11-2012 by sumgai because: Addition of one word.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Now why didnt they do stuff like this in the first place instead of waisting 2 months trashing public parks

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sumgai
reply to post by XPLodER

So you should be allowed to borrow money to buy things you can't afford and not have to pay it back?[quote]
are you suggesting if someone gets sick and is poor they should simply just die?

sarcasm]Can they wipe out my credit card debt? Just for me? Because I think I'm so special? And that I'm above paying back someone I borrowed from?sarcasm

I agree that bailing out companies with taxpayer dollars is wrong, but what kind precedent are you setting when you just voluntarily wipe out other peoples' debt, randomly?

SIMPLE, people over profit ie when people get sick, it matters not how hard they USED to work,
it matters that they cant pay to get better and back to work,

what the hell is wrong with you?

I think this is the beginning of a slippery slope that may create more problems than solutions.

edit on 17-11-2012 by sumgai because: Addition of one word.

if by slippery slope you mean people helping people in need (medical bills)

then good

you are selfish and short sighted

xploder

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

It is called life, and there is no guarantee that it will be a good one. It is also called personal responsibility, you made an agreement, honor it.....or face the penalties. Unless you are saying no one should be responsible for anything....hell, why do I spend my money wisely while others go out and blow it. I might as well do the same, and then cry when I can't pay off my bills.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

The occupy movement has a lot to do with whats now going on with states trying to secede. I shouldn't say states because it's not the state acting, it's just a few wealthy republicans and business owners.

Push has come to shove, its so sad of a time that the government has now had to stick thier nose in corporate business to tell them that they are not takiing care of their slaves. No one probably thinks of the poor as slaves, but when you only get enough compensation to cover food and rent, there you go, your a slave.

IMO this occupy movement is the same thing. People don't want to be slaves any longer, we all deserve decent wages. Someone asked me, well how much is enough, I replied, well enough so that the government doesn't have to stick thier nose in corporate america to let them know they are not taking care of their slaves.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Maybe we need the Rolling Jubilee to get the US out of debt. $269,913.00 purchased $5m worth of bad medical and student debt, what is that, about .05 on the dollar? What an amazing concept. Why not? It's being bought any way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join