It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man sentenced to 15 years in jail for selling 6 counterfeit discs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If this isnt overkill, I dont know what is.
Its funny how the crooked and corrupt AG Holder will go after something like bootlegging cd's so aggressively, yet wont cooperate in the Fast and Feurios investigation, something that has actually gotten people killed.
I guess we know who this administration cares about, the entertainment industry.

Link

Speaking before the crowd at the Intellectual Property Law Enforcement Grant Award Event in Towson, Maryland last month, US Attorney General Holder announced that the federal government would be handing out $2.4 million to more than a dozen law enforcement agencies across the country to help crack down on IP theft. Touting the Justice Department’s accomplishments under the Obama administration, Holder announced that alleged IP criminals are about to face a tough challenge if they plan on continuing to dabble in counterfeiting.

“As much as we’ve accomplished in recent years, we’ve also learned that the Justice Department can’t win this fight – and keep pace with today’s IP criminals – alone,” said Holder. “We need your help. We need the assistance of industry leaders, law enforcement officials, and IP crime victims. And we will continue to rely on the leadership and engagement of each one of this year’s grant awardees.”

edit on 11/16/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Welcome to the next version of the war on drugs.

The war on intellectual property theft...

Just as costly and just as useless.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The thread title is a nice grabber, but the weight of the matter are all the other things that were found during the investigation: 10,500+ counterfeit discs and computer equipment to manufacture bootlegs. There was also weapons and an assault rifle found, but apparently that didn't factor in to the sentence.

So, sure, he got busted selling 6 discs, but there were thousands waiting to get cashed in.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TravisBickle451

Did you even read the entire article? If so, you wouldnt have missed this part, which was pretty close at the top of the page.

but it was only the six counts of piracy that will put him away until 2027.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Did you even read the entire article? If so, you wouldnt have missed this part, which was pretty close at the top of the page.

but it was only the six counts of piracy that will put him away until 2027.

Did you read and understand my post?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I know exactly what you said but the article said the he was only tried and convicted for the SIX that he sold to the agent, nothing else.
A little over two years for each count, which falls in line with this trial, which is ridiculous as well.

King’s sentencing is the second of two piracy cases resolved in Mississippi court as of late that resulted in hefty sentences for the accused. On October 31, Antwun Sharell Jones of Meridian, MS was sentenced to two years for selling a single pirated movie.

edit on 11/16/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Even if that is what he was convicted for, I'm sure all the other stuff was taken into consideration for sentencing?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

But did you see the second case I posted? Another guy was convicted on Oct 31 for selling just one DVD and was sentenced to two years.
This administration is convicting people for selling a DVD and ignoring much more serious crimes, especially ones committed by major corporations and their own Government.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
But, If your a Bankster you can steal $ TRILLIONS
and you get $ Millions in Boneses.

Irony is quite Ironic is it not ?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I'm not saying I support the sentence, but I'm pretty sure that even if the sentence was for selling one DVD, there is more to the story than just that.

If it was just some guy who happened to have one pirated DVD he would not have been under investigation in the first place. Just like they got Al Capone on tax evasion his sentence reflected all his other known, but not convicted for crimes. He got 11 years, the longest sentence ever at the time for tax evasion.

Not siding with the court here, just trying to point out the way the system works. 15 years is a long time for 6 DVD's, but in reality he was sentenced for the stuff he wasn't convicted for also. Even though I agree the sentence is ridiculous.

Originally I was just supporting what Travis said.

edit on 11/16/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join