It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Democratic Headquarters in Lucas County, OH Burglarized, Voter Details Taken

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The Lucas County Democratic party headquarters was burglarized overnight by an unknown number of thieves. Amongst the stolen items were three computers that contained sensitive details about Democratic voters and details about the partys finances.

The three computers contained sensitive voter information by way of phone numbers of voters, campaigners and volunteers and some secret campaign manuals issued by the DNC to help swing the vote to Ohio. The computers also contained emails of support for the volunteers and candidates and this is a major psychological blow to Democrats in the region.

What troubles the staff at Lucas County HQ is the fact that the thieves knew exactly what to steal. There was little damage elsewhere and only the three computers and several documents. No valuables were taken either.

Lucas County is a heavily democratic county and without details of voter names, addresses and phone numbers then this WILL seriously hamper the Get Out The Vote campaign. With Ohio being a swing state this could literally tip the scales over to Bush for in the county alone. The county has an estimated population of 500,000

ToledoBlade
"We are pretty certain it was not an 'inside job,' nor was it any outside agency trying to take the computers," said Sgt. Bob Baumgartner, a burglary detective.

He said investigators believe greed - taking the computers so they could be sold - was probably the motivation for the theft. Police have a suspect in the break-in, he said, but he declined to provide any further information and emphasized that no charges have been filed.

The computers are worth about $5,000.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The thing I tend to question is just how they know this is not politically motivated? I mean, stealing three computers loaded with campaign documents and details of voters is a big political prize, and with the police having not caught anyone yet I find it a little weird that they can strike out motives before they even know who did it.

Blogger Report
Indymedia
Toledoblade

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
It is interesting. What do we have?

1) The alarm failed to go off. Either they forgot to set the thing, or someone knew the overide code?

2) I would like to see the completed police report. Simple robbery of 3 computers does not fit the bill. Thiefs and junkies would get little money for the heavy bulky items.

3) Disguntled worker maybe?

This will be an interesting story as things pan out. Ohio has and may continue to be in the spotlight till the election.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
No valuables were taken either.

ToledoBlade
"We are pretty certain it was not an 'inside job,' nor was it any outside agency trying to take the computers," said Sgt. Bob Baumgartner, a burglary detective.

A little more of the story.

Toledo Blade
Sergeant Baumgartner said information obtained by police has "pretty well eliminated" any rumors or speculation of possible political motivation for the theft.

How do you know it is politically motivated (because you obviously think it is)? $5,000 in computers stolen, but no valuables were taken? Perhaps the tax rate in the U.K. needs to be adjusted upwards a notch or two?

A person with journalism as a career goal should emulate this man, not Dan Rather.

Stick to the facts.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I would say inside job. There is no real need for voters names. Couple of 'volunteers', eye the new Dell poweredge servers they are using to store the data. Why take the old PII handme downs some of those places use.

But, 1) Lucas COunty, OH has a democratic HQ
2) Lucas County Also has a GOP HQ
3) Republicans work and live there
4) Republicans own returants there
5) Republicans eat beef there
6) Beef comes from Texas
7) BUsh is from Texas

"Seven Degrees of Bush"...it was him,,,Cheney and Rummy dressed up and they wanted their own little Watergate in Ohio.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Nerdling,

I hate to break it to you, but Bush headquarters have been getting attacked across the country for over a month. Dozens of files and computers have been stolen.

So... why is this incident different than all of those?

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

Nerdling,

I hate to break it to you, but Bush headquarters have been getting attacked across the country for over a month. Dozens of files and computers have been stolen.

So... why is this incident different than all of those?

Please give us a source. Where did you hear that Bush HQ had items stolen?

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Originally posted by Nerdling
No valuables were taken either.

ToledoBlade

A little more of the story.

Toledo Blade
Sergeant Baumgartner said information obtained by police has "pretty well eliminated" any rumors or speculation of possible political motivation for the theft.

How do you know it is politically motivated (because you obviously think it is)? $5,000 in computers stolen, but no valuables were taken? Perhaps the tax rate in the U.K. needs to be adjusted upwards a notch or two?

A person with journalism as a career goal should emulate this man, not Dan Rather.

Stick to the facts.

I meant "other" valuables aside from clearly targeted goods. There would have been a petty cash box as well as other valuable items. Televisions, other computers and such.

I think it is politically motivated because of the type of attack. They took computers that had the most valuable information, loaded with voter details and campaign strategies whilst leaving other high value items such as TV's. This could seriously hamper the Dem campaign effort and final push. With Ohio being a swing state and the outcome of this election being down to a small margin of states then forgive me if I'm not too quick to agree that it was just thieves.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
First Kerry being left off ballots in one county in OH , then comps with voter info in another county, busy state, Ohio. Although if it were an inside job I'd think it would be easier just to copy a disk of the wanted info, they obviously didnt have any problems getting in and out undetected. Then again maybe they knew the police would take that into consideration, easier to make it look like a robbery lol.

new topics

top topics

join