It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 of 8 Republicans skip Benghazi hearing; complain about lack of information on Benghazi

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Republicans skip Benghazi hearing; complain about lack of information on Benghazi
This week, a number of Republican senators have strongly criticized the administration for failing to properly explain the circumstances surrounding the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi. Some of those senators failed to show up for a briefing on the attack Wednesday.

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) has been the leading congressional critic of the administration's handling of the Benghazi attack ...But although McCain had time to speak on the Senate floor and on television about the lack of information provided to Congress about the attack, he didn't attend the classified briefing for senators Wednesday given to the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, of which he is a member.

Committee ranking Republican Susan Collins (R-ME) called out McCain for skipping the briefing and said his call for a special committee to investigate the Benghazi attack was not necessary because the Homeland Security committee could handle it.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), another Homeland Security committee member who was on television complaining about the lack of Benghazi information, also did not show up for the Wednesday hearing. Paul did a CNN interview from the Capitol building Wednesday in which said he had questions about the anti-Islam video, the lack of Marines in Libya, and diplomatic security. At one point he says, "I don't know enough of the details."

dailyk os

Also according to CNN in a story they ran about McCain missing the classified briefing...

The missing lawmakers included Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who at the time of the top-secret briefing held a press conference in the Capitol to call for the creation of a Watergate-type special Congressional committee to investigate how and why the attack took place.

*snip*

According to a Democratic aide on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, only three of the eight GOP members of the committee attended the two hour briefing that ran from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. ET. By contrast, seven of the nine Democratic members were there.

CNN

What the hell GOP? Where oh where has your logic gone to?

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
S&F for bringing this up. Seems like the Republicans just want something to bitch about. If they were truly interested in finding things out they would be there. If they have the facts from being their they can't spread rumors, seems like in congress you can't say something that you KNOW is false but if you don't know you can keep blabbing.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

That's pretty much what I thought when reading it too. Willful ignorance, so they can continue to say whatever they want. Something else popped into my head though, plausible deniability... something about this whole thing has felt like a GOP plot to undermine the administration. If they don't hear classified information that implicates a crony, they don't have to take action against said crony.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Lately the Democrats have been scheduling all the Benghazi items for a time when they are aware the Republicans will not be present (ie they already have scheduled items).

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

What logic? These know-nothing, loud-mouthed, blow-hards go around the country making unsubstantiated claims and stirring up crap about stuff they admittedly know nothing about and then when the opportunity to hear the details of the event is offered, then skip out? What a bunch of useless clowns.

I think they must be aware that their time in government is now short-lived, so they've begun auditioning for a job at FOX News. I can hear their new slogan now, "We fabricate the news, you decide."

We need to get these bums out of Congress!

Good find, F&S for the OP!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

A predictable and boring argument that holds no substance. Schedules for these people are always tentative. Let's try that again shall we?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Republicans exposed....

They could care less...kinda sick to see them complain about the whole Benghazi incident when most of them are pro-war.

Thousands of Americans die in the Bush induced wars and they could careless....

edit on 16-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Lately the Democrats have been scheduling all the Benghazi items for a time when they are aware the Republicans will not be present (ie they already have scheduled items).

Yeah ok, sure they are.

What are the Republicans doing that they are so busy? Meeting with lobbyists? If they can't make time for Benghazi hearings they shouldn't have a job.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

You're joking right?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Apparently it's a matter of getting one's priorities in order. According to the CNN article sourced in the OP, McCain decided it was more important to hold a public press conference and call for a special committee to investigate the truth as opposed to doing his job, as committee member, and attend the hearing to find out the truth for himself.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

The missing lawmakers included Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who at the time of the top-secret briefing held a press conference in the Capitol to call for the creation of a Watergate-type special Congressional committee to investigate how and why the attack took place.

This is willful ignorance! These people don't want to hear the truth and what they're doing is tantamount to screaming "Fire!" in a crowded theatre. It's dereliction of duty for starters and it's sickening and despicable to say the least. Reminds me of when McCain suspended his presidential campaign to go back to Washington and fix everything during the economic collapse of 2008. What a joke!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
What is happening to the people of this country. Something is drastically wrong. Our legal system allows a person to say things that are untrue if they are misinformed. At that point it is an opinion, it is not a lie but a misconception. Blasphemy can only be proven if there is no evidence to substantiate it, evidence can be the consensus of the time. If enough people believe a misconception it becomes reality. Our country is going to fall apart, if we didn't have so much military power I would say let it be. Look what happened to all the nukes in the old USSR, the small countries sold some of them or they basically disappeared. That is more dangerous than the Russians having them in my book.

I think who ever is controlling this controls many of the Senators, even without their knowledge. Rumors are spread and people back a political party. Republicans and Democrats are not our country, the people as a whole form this nation. If we split our faith than we give these groups our power, I am an American, I do not agree with the direction our country is going in. I think we the people need to put aside our differences and try to fix this mess, not just shift it into the future. We messed up, it is not the time to shift the blame to others, it is the time to come together and repair what our greed has created. We wanted more than our parents had, thinking that we deserve it. Our parents worked hard to survive yet we think all we have to do is push a key on a computer to become rich. This misconception is going to cause the collapse of a great nation. What our ancestors created is going to fall apart in a few generations. This is the greatest depression of all and thanks to antidepressants nobody will know the truth about how bad this is. Maybe our monetary system has not fully collapsed but the faith in our country has crumbled, thanks to the people in charge and their drama queen tactics.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
regardless of this little non story why are they having classified meetings about it instead of just addressing the public with the info?

Why are they hiding behind closed doors with their info?
sounds like a lot of scheming to me

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I love the liberals sense of anger lol it is so hilariously hypocritical. Didn't the president get called out for missing half of his Intelligence briefings because of golfing then Benghazi happens. Now they post about not showing up to a briefing for people who like us have been lied too multiple times by the white house

I suggest you ask the mods to willingly take down your thread before more like minded people laugh at it
edit on 16-11-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

Washington post article

resident Obama is touting his foreign policy experience on the campaign trail, but startling new statistics suggest that national security has not necessarily been the personal priority the president makes it out to be. It turns out that more than half the time, the commander in chief does not attend his daily intelligence meeting. The Government Accountability Institute, a new conservative investigative research organization, examined President Obama’s schedule from the day he took office until mid-June 2012, to see how often he attended his Presidential Daily Brief (PDB) — the meeting at which he is briefed on the most critical intelligence threats to the country. During his first 1,225 days in office, Obama attended his PDB just 536 times — or 43.8 percent of the time. During 2011 and the first half of 2012, his attendance became even less frequent — falling to just over 38 percent. By contrast, Obama’s predecessor, George W. Bush almost never missed his daily intelligence meeting.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Well said my friend. We have to keep demanding that we meet in the middle, be vocal and loud. Not to put the USG in a parental role here but, if this were a custody hearing and we were the judge, we would be sending the parents to arbitration and counseling so that the parents would learn to put the child before their differences.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Ive gotten to the point that if fox news is the only place reporting a story I know it's BS. The harder they push it the less of a story it is. They are looking for anything to attack the administration over. Instead of focusing on more important relevant topics, economy, job creation, ndaa, healthcare etc they have been non stop cramming this down their viewers thoughts.

The only reason they chose this is because it sounds glamorous and exciting. It makes for good sound bites. It's pathetic but it fools the viewership .

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
reply to post by Kali74

I love the liberals sense of anger lol it is so hilariously hypocritical. Didn't the president get called out for missing half of his Intelligence briefings because of golfing then Benghazi happens. Now they post about not showing up to a briefing for people who like us have been lied too multiple times by the white house

I'm not a liberal nor is there proof the President missed intelligence briefings, nor is it even really possible for any President to miss intelligence briefings. People like to think we don't live in the age of instant information. The President could be sipping maitai's on a beach and will not ever be out of the circle in which he can be informed and act immediately.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

WHAT?? The committee is run by the GOP, the Najority in the house...for efs sake, don't make crap up.

Republicans skip Benghazi hearing; complain about lack of information on Benghazi
Committee ranking Republican Susan Collins (R-ME) called out McCain for skipping the briefing

Notice the (R)???

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

We all know that this whole situation in Benghazi wasn't handled right. It is a fault of the whole system, not just the Democrats. We don't need to know more than that, we just need to know that this sort of thing will not happen again.

If it was just soldiers getting killed it would not be an issue, but when a high ranking official gets killed, one of their own, then it gets blown out of proportion. Sounds like the diplomat was a pretty nice guy and the whole thing is very sad. He had a real interest in helping. Sorry but I just don't think a diplomats life is more valuable than a good soldiers life or any other good Americans life. If I was killed by terrorists in a foreign country, my friends would say I was stupid for being there. At least this guy had a good reason for being there, to try to keep peaceful ties with the countries people.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

Just your title cracked me up a bit. Isn't the hearing being held to bring information to light? Isn't this all about them getting informed?

I guess they just don't want to deal with it!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

here's a link with an article written by the Washington post. This is all the proof anyone needs

www.abovetopsecret.com...

President Obama is touting his foreign policy experience on the campaign trail, but startling new statistics suggest that national security has not necessarily been the personal priority the president makes it out to be. It turns out that more than half the time, the commander in chief does not attend his daily intelligence meeting. The Government Accountability Institute, a new conservative investigative research organization, examined President Obama’s schedule from the day he took office until mid-June 2012, to see how often he attended his Presidential Daily Brief (PDB) — the meeting at which he is briefed on the most critical intelligence threats to the country. During his first 1,225 days in office, Obama attended his PDB just 536 times — or 43.8 percent of the time. During 2011 and the first half of 2012, his attendance became even less frequent — falling to just over 38 percent. By contrast, Obama’s predecessor, George W. Bush almost never missed his daily intelligence meeting.

Ok kali now I have provided a link for you twice please answer this where is your outrage now? LOL

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join