It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hostess, maker of Twinkies and Ding Dongs, says closing business

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Annee

Yeah let's talk about bullies considering the majority of people in unions were never given the option to join one that is of course until right to work came around.

Please do not address me.

Your one sided extremism - - - - dismisses any credibility in your opinion - - - - as there is no balance or middle ground for discussion.

edit on 16-11-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAngryFarm

Nope, never been part of a union, nor would I ever. Actually turned down jobs in Vegas solely because they were union.

I regret that I did It never sit right with me that I had to pay someone else for the "privlege" of having a job.
edit on 16-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   
I work in Health Care in Canada and am part of a union. But the union here has benefited the staff and actually being part of the union, makes our jobs safer, than those who are not part of a union. I'm glad to be supported by a union, but feel sad that these workers lost out because of the strike.

link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
reply to post by neo96

"Right to Work" is a newspeak term for "Low-Wage Slavery".

Don't be fooled.

Ain't that the truth.

Found that out in a move from CA to AZ.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Aww shucks free country and a free board and really want to talk about one side extremism?

After that post?

one sided extremism perfectly describes unions and their supporters.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Actually I disagree...

The fact a 23 year old with no other skills thinks 11.00 an hour is not enough pay for doing some bakery work and if they close she has no problem going on unemployment

or a 17.70 an hour man complaining its not enough money for unskilled labor

Try again... the UNION killed hostess and lost 18000 jobs... they should be arrested and thrown in jail

PS... it was quoted yesterday on the news and I am not looking for it....

The UNION won right it showed the big fat cats they mean business...

I hope the union bosses enjoy christmas....oh thats right the Union bosses still have jobs... the worker for the Union not the workers

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO also think about all those who are getting laid off in the midst of the holiday season.
Sad day indeed

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The idea that ONLY corporations can be greedy is what drives the rampant growth of UNIONs. But it's not only corporations that get greed, it's the unions too. Too many people are biased to think this way. So when a union attacks a corporation, everybody is with the union. This kills jobs. This is why so many of our jobs here in the US go overseas. We need to give more support to corporations.

What's going on is corporations in the US are being neutered and dying out. I wish people would stop looking at the corporations. You turn on TV and they're attacking corporations. Same everywhere.

All the while people in asia and mexico and elsewhere are getting the jobs because they have a fairer relationship between the employees and the companies. We need to model after them.

Fairness is what we don't have anymore. 100 years of unions have destroyed it.
edit on 16-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

I regret that I did It never sit right with me that I had to pay someone else for the "privlege" of having a job.

Exactly. Good employees are in demand, and usually have no problem getting a job.

Uneducated and unmotivated losers go to unions because they need to be placed in a job instead of getting it on their own. In reward for that, unions get their "dues" (as in you owe us for getting your sorry ass a job), which then get bundled into political donations and given to people who promise them more of other peoples money.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Maybe if they hadnt ruined everything they made. All snack foods just taste like corn anymore

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
My Mother was laid off last Christmas when the company she works for was sold to another company. They did away with the union. I am torn on this issue really. On one hand I want my mother to make all the money in the world and have benefits. On the other hand she writes down numbers off of train cars. 25 dollars an hour was a bit high for that in my opinion. She makes 17 an hour now and lives reminiscing about the "glory days" of the union.

The workers there now talk about trying to form a new union and I couldn't be more against it. It killed them the last time and now they want to do the same. I wont be surprised when she is out of a job.

What I don't understand is how can a union justify trying to get increases in this economy? Dont they realize how many out of work people will readily take their place?I know everyone has bills but most people live outside of their means. The poor in America have Iphones, refrigerators, cars, and flat screens.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

So this is the promise of labor unions. I hope all these union folks are paying attention. They just killed 18,000 jobs.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

This is a tragedy. I don't eat Twinkies or Ding Dongs much anymore. I really liked them as a kid. Twinkies are still really good occasionally.. The poorly named Ding Dongs" seemed to have changed, they don't taste the same and no longer are wrapped in the foil that i remember.

Can America survive without Twinkies? Probably. Is it a place we want to live? Maybe not....

I will be buying all the twinkies i can this weekend as a show of support for this Icon. BONUS: I'm sure they will be good survival food come the apocalypse.

V

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Your one sided extremism - - - - dismisses any credibility in your opinion - - - - as there is no balance or middle ground for discussion.

Since you mentioned one sided extremism, I find it odd that you would describe yourself as a "feminist" (LOL).

Want to see one sided extremism in its purest form? Talk to a bunch of feminists.

You will probably reply with something alone the lines of "if thats what you think, then you know nothing of feminism", but you would be wrong.

There has never been a larger group of extremists than those fools who partake in modern day "feminism".

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by darkhorserider

Walmart, though one of the profitable companies in the world, pays employees so little, that they bank on the states to pick up the costs through welfare to pay for all those underpaid people with no benefits.

So while YOU may think it is a great plan, the rest of the taxpayers don't. Especially from a company that makes enough money to build a small planet.

Which is why the majority of the workers there take it as a second job, or a college job, or a job to supplement their income. If it weren't for the flexible hours, good working conditions, and employee discounts, many of those people WOULD HAVE to apply for benefits, but instead, they are lucky enough to get a pretty good second job that will work around their other schedule.

If someone is supporting a family on a Walmart wage, that is unfortunate, but how is it Walmart's fault? It should be the fault of that person, not the employer that was kind enough to hire them.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NihilistSanta
On the other hand she writes down numbers off of train cars. 25 dollars an hour was a bit high for that in my opinion. She makes 17 an hour now and lives reminiscing about the "glory days" of the union.

Lol wait, she makes 50k per year writing down numbers of train cars? Thats it? I imagine its some sort of tracking procedure correct?

With no disrespect to your mom, that makes it into the top 5 of all time most overpaid BS union jobs.

Thanks for dropping that gem.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
It's ARMAGEDDON I tell ya!!!

you mean ARMACHITEN

sorry mate .. no more twinkies
switch to the MAYWEST

Eggs everywhere!!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I think there is the other side of the story we are forgetting here! Lets start with some of the first unions in America. Where did they come from? Unions were created because company's would make their workers bring their own materials and work sun up to sun down and pay shortages were often reported. Union mills had no such problems.

en.wikipedia.org...

It was not the unions who treated workers like slaves! Instead it was companies. It wasn't the unions who made people buy from their commissary with with non legal tender! IT was the companies. People have worked and worked their hands off and died as a result of poor working conditions. And yet almost 200 years later people get fired for reporting bad work conditions. When a company is destroyed by company officials (Enron, TYCO etc.. they exact rules (Sarbanes-Oxley Act) which affect lower level employees and not management. When after all employees at lower levels did nothing. There is a need for Unions. History has written that point over and over. Management is never put in the spotlight. Why?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAngryFarm

I completely agree and take no offense. I used to have to pick up parts from a Seimens warehouse and it was the most annoying thing in the world. I would come in to get a part and everyone you talked to it wasnt their job. They would get in trouble for doing the other guys job. These guys stood around in a warehouse passing the buck all day with insane pay and benefits.

I dont agree with outsourcing over seas but in some of these industries the unions are making it unprofitable. What is worse is a lot of these big union operations are with business and industries that receive Govt subsidies.

I am all for a safe and fair work place but some people are living in fantasy land while the rest of us are scraping crap for a living.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I have failed in my quest! I immediately traveled forth in search of the ever tasty Hostess Ding Dongs, and there was not a box to be found in my city. I searched every single store that carries anything even resembling food for naught. I feel soooo dirty!

Tomorrow I travel to the city (Houston) for a social affair. I shall leave several hours early and continue the quest. Somewhere there must be Ding Dongs......somewhere....

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join