It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hostess, maker of Twinkies and Ding Dongs, says closing business

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
Why doesn't the CPUSA step in?
Why don't the emploees collectively buy the company?
Why doesn't the union take a loan to buy the company for the workers?

This is a glaring example of the lies we are fed daily. Workers/unions/communists don't want want to share the risks, they only want to share the profits.

Perhaps they will prove me wrong and step up to the plate. I'm not holding my breath.

Employees cannot buy Hostess....it is a very large corporation. They can try to buy a segment of the business which makes Twinkies, but that wouldn't make sense for Hostess to do.

Sharing profits actually means employees are greedy and want more money...plain and simple.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I'm anti-union, so it's tough to deal with a situation like this, especially with my brother getting laid off, but it is what it is.... Unions will slowly decline in this country, many folks are developing "anti union" feelings towards them, me being one of them, it just sucks that a company and its workers couldnt figure out a way to make this work...

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
nice job unions.

I bet the workers can find employment in your offices right?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
To take a 8% pay cut or not job have,seems simple take the 8%, but not so . Now they do not have jobs but still have the dues to pay.
Could this be the end of unions?
They do not have jobs and I do not have my favorite snack any more, whom to blame? Not the workers but the UNION.

Those people should have been happy to be employed. Do you know how many people are looking for jobs these days???? They should have taken a pay cut if the business was losing money so at least they have work . Now they will become part of the unemployment rate.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Hostess isn't going anywhere. Make pain through the holiday season and see how the people like their union come March. There will be a big change of tune. Those things have an unlimited shelf life so they will slowly become scarce
edit on 16-11-2012 by mikellmikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Unions took cuts to their pay and what did mgmt do. Come back and asked for more concessions. Poorly run company placing blame on workers. Same old, same old.

As a union, when do you stand up to the beat down? Do you keep taking pay cuts or do you finally say enough is enough? If you allow a company to keep beating you down, who knows how far they will take it if you dont show any resistance...

Just my 2 cents
edit on 16-11-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
There's not a company out there anymore that can afford to pay an unskilled labourer $30/hour for sweeping floors due to the global economic structure in today's competitive society.

IT IS the unions' fault for not waking up to this reality for the past 30+ years.

The time-old tradition of patriotically standing behind these unions has gone by the wayside. Nobody can protect anybody's jobs anymore. Wake up and smell the reality.

If a company can't make ends meet for a variety of reasons including ridiculously high wages, then they inevitably have to shut it down. Period.

The days of making good money with no education under your belt are long gone charlie, folks.

Everybody is at fault here: the banks, the governments, AND the unions... including the naive employees who still grasp at the concept that someone can keep them in a job.

Employees can no longer back a company into a corner and win. Companies are no longer desperately trying to keep in operations, they'll just simply shut 'er down and/or relocate to somewhere that they can pull a profit.

It doesn't matter if it was the unions in the past that forced proper pay rates, employee protection laws, etc etc... The realities of today can no longer support your dogmatic idolizing of the union structure because of what it has done in the past tense. Period.

It all comes down to simple mathematics.

Like it or not, that's the direction the world has gone.

This is yet another sad day for the North American economy... the domino effect of this shutdown is reason enough to hang our heads in mourning, never mind the idea of losing brand names.

RIP Hostess.
edit on 16-11-2012 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

What will the yanks eat during the apocalypse now??

MRE’s?

But seriously though, this is terrible news for all those workers.

No its not….it’s their fault. Hostess is yet another victim of the Obama economy and liberal labor unions. This is another example of the destruction caused by the "takers" among us. Some people just can't stop demonizing corporate America and control their own greed. Now those 18,500 idiots who were on strike (from a good job) are going to be on the gubment dole sucking up even more of our tax dollars. This is a sad day!! Don't you just love the NEW America??

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
Unions took cuts to their pay and what did mgmt do. Come back and asked for more concessions. Poorly run company placing blame on workers. Same old, same old.

As a union, when do you stand up to the beat down? Do you keep taking pay cuts or do you finally say enough is enough? If you allow a company to keep beating you down, who knows how far they will take it if you dont show any resistance...

Just my 2 cents
edit on 16-11-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

The fact that one of the worst unions on the planet (Teamsters) called out the bakers union speaks volumes about how retarded the bakers union is.

Unions are a joke and the end of them cannot come soon enough.

Whats that? You want to continue to be paid from a pension long after you retire and no longer do any actual work for us? Screw em, I'd let them starve too.

The union bosses will feel no pain, the kids of the bakers on the other hand, they will feel some pain around Christmas time because they have a degenerate irresponsible parent.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

You probably shouldn't call out 18,000 people you don't know... Not everyone of those people wanted the strike, but I'm sure you know how strikes work... But its cool how you lump them all together calling them names...

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

You notice how the fall of the middle class coincidences with those good jobs going overseas? THAT is how we got sold out. Now it's a pecking party out after the last man standing...those who still have the good union jobs that built the western post-war economy. Instead of going after unions, how about going after those Wall Street scum like...oh, I donno...Bain?...who make money off your economic demise?

They have you fighting amongst yourselves and ignoring the fact that they exist. How amusing. Stop thinking so small.

Want to know why those jobs are going overseas? A large part of the reason is because unions wanted unskilled uneducated losers to get paid $25 or $30 an hour for doing a job a monkey could do. Unions and government are the 2 big reasons jobs are going offshore.

The unions have destroyed the middle class they always claim to protect. Unions are like polio....they need to be eradicated and remain where they squarely belong: Just another sad chapter in American history.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAngryFarm

Degenerate irresponsible parents?? Easy there guy... My brother was one of those laid off and he wanted to work and was willing to take another pay cut, unfortunately he was in the minority of the union... Stop with the name calling of these people, lots of them are now having to deal with this issue in tough economic times, they already were living on little and now have zero income coming in right around the holidays and the only thing you folks care to do is call them names on here...

Just pathetic....

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Bloomberg and Michelle O are probably dancing a jig.

Yep considering all the white house meetings with union leaders over the past 4 years, and the first lady's campaign about people eating healthier right along with Bloombergs campaign agianst big gulps etc.

True enough government and union collusion strikes again.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Does anyone else see the similarities between. . .

The union (government) making demands (taxes) on the company (American people) and seeing similar results?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

the hole point is the Union is to blame!
The workers would have taken the 8% pay cut , the union would not, when the union says strike you strike.
Now thanks to the Union, (a long time snack is no more) they the workers do not have jobs, but will have to pay the dues to the union out of their unemployment, that is if they get unemployment.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well that shucks I like Twinkies........

Stupid Union.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAngryFarm

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

You notice how the fall of the middle class coincidences with those good jobs going overseas? THAT is how we got sold out. Now it's a pecking party out after the last man standing...those who still have the good union jobs that built the western post-war economy. Instead of going after unions, how about going after those Wall Street scum like...oh, I donno...Bain?...who make money off your economic demise?

They have you fighting amongst yourselves and ignoring the fact that they exist. How amusing. Stop thinking so small.

Want to know why those jobs are going overseas? A large part of the reason is because unions wanted unskilled uneducated losers to get paid $25 or $30 an hour for doing a job a monkey could do. Unions and government are the 2 big reasons jobs are going offshore.

The unions have destroyed the middle class they always claim to protect. Unions are like polio....they need to be eradicated and remain where they squarely belong: Just another sad chapter in American history.

Utter nonsense.
2nd Line

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Nope that wasn't

Unions are all about getting paid for what "they think they are worth" not on the actual work performed.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

Walmart, though one of the profitable companies in the world, pays employees so little, that they bank on the states to pick up the costs through welfare to pay for all those underpaid people with no benefits.

So while YOU may think it is a great plan, the rest of the taxpayers don't. Especially from a company that makes enough money to build a small planet.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

"Atlas Shrugged" comes to mind here. People are just not seeing the greed of the Union leadership.

Twinkies will go on, probably under the Hostess name as well, but just under someone else who bought the name on the cheap at auction.

They probably won't taste the same either though.

To be truthful though, I have not had a Twinkie in decades. They just don't trip my trigger. But if they were to disappear, I would still miss them.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join