It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hostess, maker of Twinkies and Ding Dongs, says closing business

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by gangdumstyle
The union workers were VERY selfish... Now they can sit on unemployment for 5 years at 400 bux a week. People really need these jobs and they piss it away? Dumb, these were not minimum wage jobs... This was not working at burger king..
edit on 16-11-2012 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

I agree.

I don't think ALL the Unions were in agreement also, from what I hear. Some of the Teamsters KNEW that the jobs, would be lost.
Jimmy Hoffa would be (or is) rolling in his grave right now... He would of took care of the minority of idiots screwing it up for the majority..

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
So the unions would rather be out of work and have tens of thousands of people laid off then take a pay cut. Makes perfect sence

The union bosses wont be feeling any pain. Maybe the devastating loss of the Twinkie will open a few more eyes in terms of how detrimental and what straight up BS unions are.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
We're going to see a lot more. One of the reasons is the massive number of "administration jobs" that seem to be the norm now. It's in business, it's in education, it's in every possible corner of the workplace. The number of adminstrators compared to the number of actual workers has grown exponentially over the past two decades and we are now reaching a breaking point.

When the companies realize they hire anywhere from 2 to 100 workers for the price of their "administrators" or supervisors or vice-presidents that don't really do much actual "work", then alleviate that problem, things will turn around and there will be positive changes that take place.

If we are going to continue with the "capitalism" ideas, they need to be refined and the extra bells and whistles need to go or they are going to continue to fail miserably.

A company can't function when there are more chiefs than indians. Somebody has to do the actual work. If they didn't waste all their revenue paying their sister's kid to sit behind a desk and not do any actual work while drawing a hefty paycheck, they wouldn't be in this position to start with.

Restructure the company, do away with the 'fluff jobs' (as opposed to the "fluff" in the Twinkies) and rebuild.
Too late now and it IS directly the unions fault...

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I have zero faith in politics/politicians.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
My prediction is that that the Mexican company "Grupo Bimbo" will eventually buy the company at a fire-sale price, and continue operations using all the same name brand products.

Grupo Bimbo (pronounced "BEEM-bo") (BMV: BIMBO) is the world's largest baking company,[2] with brands in the Americas, Asia, and Europe.

For more information on Grupo Bimbo, go here:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Will they be reopening operations in China or Mexico perhaps? They're just doing the same move Dole did. The wages are simply way too high. 20 dollars per hour almost to make doenuts. Plus union, plus all the other million things the g--v forces employers to have to pay for. Makes no sense anymore. They could ship all that to mexico or asia and get it done for a small fraction of the cost. There they could hire workers for .50 cents and hour easy. So that's...

Local: 18000 x 20 per hour = 360,000 per hour in labor to run in the US

Asia: 18,000 x .50 cents = 9000 per hour in Asia

Plus they could build more modernized plants in asia that require less workers and are more efficient and productive. So likely they could get away with 10,000 employee's so that's like 5000 per hour in wages compared to what they're paying here.

Why people are still living in this paradym of our parents and grandparents where we could get a job down at the factory for a huge dollars and union benefits and work that our whole lives. Something called globalization has taken place. That era of working for these huge wages is over in a lot of industries.

0:53 watch his neck....he swallows....he's nervous.....he doesn't want the truth to leak out

edit on 16-11-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I used to LOVE Twinkies!! This is so sad.
Anyways - Can't survive Zombieland without twinkies.
Zombieland Rules

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Perhaps.

But so is the era of high prices for fuel, medicine, food and shelter.

Gone is the idea that your home should double in value every few years. In fact -- the average 3/2 home will now be valued at 3-4 times the average annual salary in any particular zip code, which -- bubbles aside -- is how it really is anyway.

Don't forget: If wages are depressed, so is everything else, or 100 million people will take what they need by force. The modern world is no cushion against the reality of human nature.

link   
That sucks about the jobs but everything they make is # and makes my stomach ache. Good riddance, its a "wonder" they ever even called that crap bread. If im gonna eat something sweet it'll be something fresh baked from home or a good bakery, not something a sugar yeti crapped out.

Oh it sounds like theyre gonna try to dump their load on some other guy some maybe you'll get your twinkies afterall, maybe with a new brandname.
edit on 16-11-2012 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Sure, it was bad management to let the unions help them get $3 Billion in debt! They should have followed the Walmart plan and fired everyone that ever mentioned a Union, and banned them from the premises, and got an injunction from them even buying a Hostess product!

Unions were important a century ago, but these days we have plenty of Labor Laws that make unions entirely obsolete. Nowadays a Union only serves to bilk the employee and employer for protections that are already guaranteed by law. They take money to ensure their own existence and influence politics, but they do nothing to help employee or employer. In fact, what Unions do is technically illegal, because they are charging people for something that is already guaranteed by law for free.

An HR department and a 401k plan does the same thing as a Union, but they do it for 20% of the cost and 1% of the legal headaches, and none of the backlash, negative PR, and political commentary.
edit on 16-11-2012 by darkhorserider because: (no reason given)

Worse part is that when the Union dues are up for these 18000 people and there is no more for the Bakers union to do they are al screwed and then stuck either in others jobs which are rare or leaning on government aid to get by as wel as unemployment. Not sure how wel that will go with al these states going near bankrupt to pay unemployment benefits and food assistance. The company is accountable for it's part but in my huble opinion Unions are nothing but a legal form of extortion nowadays.

link   
I am in mourning!

There is nothing on this Earth that can replace the satisfaction I get from eating a Hostess Ding Dong taken from the icebox at 2:00 am.....nothing!

.......wanders about the house aimlessly in a state of shock......

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

We'd better stock up!!!

::preparing to attack Wal-Mart for Twinkie supplies!!::

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

I have zero faith in politics/politicians.

You do have a good point....

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

My local walmart and Piggly Wiggly were already empty, I found 12 packs at 2 different gas stations.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Sadly , unions and businesses need to work together to keep the business strong and the benefits to the union members fair.

In the US, the unions make unreasonable demands and stick to them even when the economy will no longer support the wage and benefit packages. Then whole business go under and all the workers lose their jobs.

This will not be the first time and it will not be the last time.

However, if you are an entrepreneur maybe it's time to come out with a twinky substitute.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

BOTH sides take part in the negotionations. BOTH sides are at fault, not one over the others. The company wasn't getting what it wanted so it decided to take it's ball and go home. That's absolutely, positively, no better than what the union side may or may not be doing.

If they company hadn't allowed things to deteriorate to the point they did, the union would not have called for a strike to start with. It's not just unions and nothing else that are at play here, that's just what faux news wants people to believe about it.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I am with you! Must....have.....Ding dongs!!!!

I RIDE!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

BOTH sides take part in the negotionations. BOTH sides are at fault, not one over the others. The company wasn't getting what it wanted so it decided to take it's ball and go home. That's absolutely, positively, no better than what the union side may or may not be doing.

If they company hadn't allowed things to deteriorate to the point they did, the union would not have called for a strike to start with. It's not just unions and nothing else that are at play here, that's just what faux news wants people to believe about it.

When Unions are involved, the company can no longer make critical and timely business decisions such as cutting work force, lowering wages, or adding extra shifts. Once a Union is involved, the company becomes lethargic and unreactive to market conditions, and locked into long-term agreements that hurt its competitiveness.

Sure, the company has some blame, but it is likely their hands were tied in many ways for decades before it came to this. It isn't an equal 50/50 split of fault, it is more like an 80/20 split with the Union taking the majority of the fault.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
There is nothing on this Earth that can replace the satisfaction I get from eating a Hostess Ding Dong taken from the icebox at 2:00 am.....nothing! ..

Hostess cupcakes were my favorite. I can't have them now (Sjogrens) but man o man ... those things were PERFECT. Chocolate or Vanilla Hostess Cupcakes with a scoop of Cookies and Creme Icecream. MMMMMM.. Twinkies were second favorite for me. I can't believe this is going away. Next thing you know, someone will take away the (The Great American) Hershey Bar. What is happening to this country!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

I am with you! Must....have.....Ding dongs!!!!

I RIDE!!!!!!

Arch-pseudo-enemies UNITE!!!

We will take Walmart by storm!!!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join