It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hostess, maker of Twinkies and Ding Dongs, says closing business

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
My heart goes out to the workers who will be losing their jobs. I have been through this twice, and it sucks.

I am having a hard time with the notion that a company which makes sugary snack-cakes can't find a working business model in a nation of pot-heads and fatty's.

If that isn't proof that our blind worship of business people isn't misguided, I'm not sure what is.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Well....

My state is a right to work state, so if they wanted to relocate and restructure, they technically could sell out to someone with a shared interest and reopen shop I guess....

I just don't wanna lose my Twinkies

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yeah, I hear you.

I don't think half of the workers could make a loaf of bread, from scratch.

I dont think half of America could do it either.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
And just to show that the people from the Democratic party don't always blindly follow their leaders like the other side does....

Obama should step in like he did with GM. Hostess is an American company with a long history in this country. Unfortunately, Michelle won't let him step in on this one because Hostess goes against her "food program" thing

....I still support the Democratic party and the President, but I don't support each and every thing they do
**Tea-Party Republicans take note, that's how it's supposed to work (I know that non-Tea-Party republicans do the same as the Democrats do in this particular area)**
edit on 16-11-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Wow a lot higher than I thought it would be!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by badgerprints

Were all 18000 employees unionists?

Genuine question.

Looks like part union and part non.
They have manufacturing, distribution and sales.

I wasn't talking specifically about Unionists.
It really doesn't matter anyway.
Non-union workers can strike.
I'm simply talking about the basic math.
Not all businesses can support the expectations of high priced employees.
Hostess operates off of a slim margin.
The real money is being made downstream at vending and convenience sales stores.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I support this message, up until the democrat part.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

12 different Unions, 15000 member's......

Link

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is terrible to hear. My thoughts are with all those that lost their jobs, and with their families. This company has been around for a long time. I grew up eating these snacks, though I haven't had them for sometime now as I've been eating healthier. It's a shame something couldn't be done to keep this company open.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Have no fear:

[Homemade Twinkies
Adapted from Gourmet Cookbook by Joy the Baker
Makes about 12

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
1 cup milk

Put a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Create your own Twinkie-like molds by wrapping heavy-duty aluminum foil around a 4-inch-long spice bottle. Leave the top of the mold open so you can pour in the batter. (For a how-to video, click here.)

In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Beat in eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute in between each addition.

Beat in vanilla and almond extract. Reduce speed to low, add half of the flour mixture, and beat until incorporated. Add milk and beat until incorporated. Add the rest of the flour, and beat until incorporated.

Spray prepared Twinkie molds with nonstick spray and divide the batter between them. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the cakes are just slightly golden and a pick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before filling with marshmallow cream.

Marshmallow filling
by Todd Wilbur of Top Secret Recipes

2 teaspoons very hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups (one 7-ounce jar) marshmallow creme
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine salt with hot water in a small bowl and stir until salt is dissolved. Let cool.

Combine the marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl and beat until fluffy, using an electric mixer on high speed.

Add salt water and beat to combine.

When the cakes are cool, use a skewer or a chopstick to make three holes along the bottom, moving the stick around slightly to create space inside the cake. Fit a pastry bag with a small tip and fill it with the marshmallow creme mixture (or scoop it into a resealable bag and snip off a tiny bit of one corner; pipe filling into each cake, using the three holes.

DIY Twinkies

LONG LIVE THE TWINKIES!

~OkieDokie
edit on 16-11-2012 by OkieDokie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OkieDokie

Not the same, Im afraid...........

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The union workers were VERY selfish... Now they can sit on unemployment for 5 years at 400 bux a week. People really need these jobs and they piss it away? Dumb, these were not minimum wage jobs... This was not working at burger king..
edit on 16-11-2012 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

I'm simply talking about the basic math.
Not all businesses can support the expectations of high priced employees.

I agree completely.

Australian mining industry is placing itself well and truly into that area and it will crash badly if something isn't done.
(Basic premise of what Gina Rinehart said, but got completely taken out of context)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by gangdumstyle
The union workers were VERY selfish... Now they can sit on unemployment for 5 years at 400 bux a week. People really need these jobs and they piss it away? Dumb, these were not minimum wage jobs... This was not working at burger king..
edit on 16-11-2012 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

I agree.

I don't think ALL the Unions were in agreement also, from what I hear. Some of the Teamsters KNEW that the jobs, would be lost.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I support this message, up until the democrat part.

That was included because we all need to stop looking at political parties and look at our country as a whole. It's our responsibility as citizens, regardless of our party affiliation, to help move our country forward.

Democrats and Republicans need to come together for the good of the nation instead of staying at one another's throats and the small factions of people who want to keep it a political contest need to step back, let both sides roll up their sleeves and address issues we have to make our country, our Beloved Country, a better place to live and a leader in the world once again.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Democrats and Republicans need to come together for the good of the nation instead of staying at one another's throats and the small factions of people who want to keep it a political contest need to step back, let both sides roll up their sleeves and address issues we have to make our country, our Beloved Country, a better place to live and a leader in the world once again.

I don't think Obama will "Bail" out this Company. I am almost sure that ALL its Union members voted for him also.

Ironic.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
We're going to see a lot more. One of the reasons is the massive number of "administration jobs" that seem to be the norm now. It's in business, it's in education, it's in every possible corner of the workplace. The number of adminstrators compared to the number of actual workers has grown exponentially over the past two decades and we are now reaching a breaking point.

When the companies realize they hire anywhere from 2 to 100 workers for the price of their "administrators" or supervisors or vice-presidents that don't really do much actual "work", then alleviate that problem, things will turn around and there will be positive changes that take place.

If we are going to continue with the "capitalism" ideas, they need to be refined and the extra bells and whistles need to go or they are going to continue to fail miserably.

A company can't function when there are more chiefs than indians. Somebody has to do the actual work. If they didn't waste all their revenue paying their sister's kid to sit behind a desk and not do any actual work while drawing a hefty paycheck, they wouldn't be in this position to start with.

Restructure the company, do away with the 'fluff jobs' (as opposed to the "fluff" in the Twinkies) and rebuild.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It's a sad, sad day.

Walmart shelves already emptied of twinkies!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
So the unions would rather be out of work and have tens of thousands of people laid off then take a pay cut. Makes perfect sence

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join