It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hostess, maker of Twinkies and Ding Dongs, says closing business

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RunningFromSpider
reply to post by Suohhen

Sure be a slave for minimum wage if you want.

Just wonder how many out of 18,000 people are going to end up living on the street. I'd reather be a slave for awhile than that. I take it, that you have no idea what that's like. Easier to face the lion, than the face of a hungry child. Especially when its yours.

You and I and all others are slaves to something, or to someone.

Even the rich are slaves to the wealthy. The wealthy write the checks.
I'm sure you have heard the old saying that crap rolls down hill.

Well, the Wealthy don't care about the rich.
The Rich don't care about the well to do, and the well to do don't care about you. Unless buy chance, you should be one. In that case, you don't care about me, because I'm way under you.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
This country is divided in many ways.

One way were are divided is those who think results are the measure of success and those who judge based on intent, or fairness.

Well, the result is jobs lost. Those who judge on results will blame the union workers who did chose to stay away from work.

The intention was to get fair treatment and wages, well good for them, they really stuck to their guns right up to the moment they were squashed like a bug.

If you think about it, what really matters is the end result. And maybe if you were thinking the other way you should consider switching sides.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
OK, they don't taste like they did when we were kids

They've changed so much over the years.... I guess it's the name and the appearance that I remember and get nostalgic about.

Maybe the names will just go into the public domain and individual bakeries can start making their own twinkies without having someone trying to sue them for using the name. They'll be much better than the ones that come in the little plastic package.

Ho-Hos and King Dons haven't tasted the same since they did away with the foil wrappers.

I guess all good things must come to an end.

Hopefully whatever takes it's place will also provide jobs for the workers who were destroyed because of company greed.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kawika

At least, no thanks to the greedy companies, the workers will be eligible for unemployment benefits while they seek another job that will treat them more fairly.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
i enjoyed eating Twinkies back in the day's of my youth .. until one day i ate a whole box of them .. Since then if i even have one that's all i can do ..Thank god for LiL Debbie .. getting some browines today

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Pathetic and sad to shoot yourself in the foot.

I belive in unorganized unions to fight for a cause. What I dont believe in is striking for more pay/benefit. I am sure we have some newly minted citizen immigrants that would have LOVED the job.
Labor union strikes are deplorable, and then taking aggression out on "scabs" who are trying to feed their children because you are too privileged to work. I cant imagine the major majority of Hostess job positions require high level degrees. If you make minimum wage to pack a twinkie for a living with pension support, hell your doing amazingly well.
To run your own company in the ground is ridiculous. You all dont deserve work, because you walked away from your jobs.
What people dont realize is a strike is a direct threat to close the doors of your employer. Such is the case of a boycott, but under different circumstances.
Keep your job continue to work, organize and fight while the doors are open. When you go on strike it is ridiculous to assume its to win your cause. Strike should be your FINAL course of action to directly attack your organization and close its doors if they dont surrender. You should be fully prepared to no longer have a job if you walk away from it.
edit on 17-11-2012 by Quailar because: additions

edit on 17-11-2012 by Quailar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
This country is divided in many ways.

One way were are divided is those who think results are the measure of success and those who judge based on intent, or fairness.

Well, the result is jobs lost. Those who judge on results will blame the union workers who did chose to stay away from work.

The intention was to get fair treatment and wages, well good for them, they really stuck to their guns right up to the moment they were squashed like a bug.

If you think about it, what really matters is the end result. And maybe if you were thinking the other way you should consider switching sides.

The saying goes, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

I personally believe that to be true. Idiots can intend well. Intelligent people can create results. An intelligent person with good intention can work wonders. That is who I strive to be.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Hey! What a great question.

Are they eligible for unemployment if they basically choose to not go to work??

Are they still "on strike"?

ABA Family Legal Guide
Law and the Workplace
Leaving a Job

Unemployment Insurance
Are workers who are on strike entitled to collect Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits?
It depends on the specific state law. A few states allow workers to collect UI if the strike is caused by an employer's violation of the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) or an employer's breach of the collective bargaining agreement. Some states allow workers to collect UI if the employer has locked out the workers.

Most states, however, do not permit workers on strike to collect UI benefits. The period of disqualification varies by state--in some states, the disqualification lasts for the duration of the strike; in other states, the disqualification lasts for a fixed period of time. If a striker is permanently replaced, however, the worker then may be eligible for UI benefits.

American Bar Association Family Legal Guide
Copyright © 2004 American Bar Association

edit on 17-11-2012 by kawika because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2012 by kawika because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by kawika

Hey! What a great question.

Are they eligible for unemployment if they basically choose to not go to work??

Yes, based on their state laws.

They will be terminated from employment under the Warn Act.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quailar
What people dont realize is a strike is a direct threat to close the doors of your employer.
I'm guessing that you have never tried to negotiate a labour contract...I'm guessing I'm about the only one on this thread who has. A strike is the final stage, and is not entered upon casually as it's pretty well known that you never quite make your money back. BUT...it is the only stick that labour wields when negotiations deteriorate.

Let's face it...if the company was planning to go tits-up anyway, forcing a strike saves them some dough as well.

Unions...those folks who brought you the weekend.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kawika

They can't collect during the strike, but they can if the company closes it's doors, which happened. They will be eligible as of yesterday's announcement.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

So in a twisted sort of way, this helps...

We had some Fridays off in October and one of the union workers was standing up suggesting why drag it out? Just lay us off. And that is what she had in mind is she wanted benefits not available to those who are working 4 days a week.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
A shame.
I loved their chocolate cupcakes. It was a favorite snack of mine in college.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

You are correct. I have never had the privilege of having a union to look out for me or my colleagues. however, this particular situation doesnt make any sense. It appears Hostess went through a form of bankruptcy twice this year. The company also asked the employees to make some concessions in order to bring the company out of the financial deficit to gain a better financial footing. Instead they break the companies back. From the minute a company starts talking bankruptcy you owe it to yourself to look for work, or force the doors close so you can collect unemployment.
www.usatoday.com...

I may be missing the point, but if my boss says we need to all chip in to keep the doors open, I wouldnt say screw you pay me more and fullfill my pension and, oh by the way, ill cripple your prospective income while you decide. Makes no sense

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by FlyersFan

The Hostess cupcakes look nice.

Warning: I bought them and ate one. They're awful!!! Now, the Ho Hos are pretty good.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAngryFarm
Way to go unions!!!!

Protecting American jobs

Further proof unions are nothing but a haven for degenerates and losers.

so...i guess your the expert on why the bakery workers went on strike...i always like the part where the company spokesmen goes on air and always says we are just trying to provide jobs in this bad economy, but the unions are making demands that force our company to close, move, sell, downsize....but...the actual details of what the union workers are striking for... is never included, the most you get is "they are stiking for better wages or benefits"...that's it.
i guess workers here in america, should be just be saying....thank you for paying me less, thank you for cutting my hours, thank you for cutting my benefits, i'm just so grateful that you even hired me, and are alllowing me to work for you. if there is anything more that i as a worker can give back to the company so i can keep my job, please let me know.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Way to go Union workers.. shot yourself in the foot right before the Holidays....

What the hell was the Union thinking?

maybe the union thought they had a good case considering this news
thinkprogress.org...
see this is the problem...you don't get the whole story....
edit on 17-11-2012 by jimmyx because: addition

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

edit on 17-11-2012 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Union workers at Walmart - Planning Walkout on Thanksgiving

www.inquisitr.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

edit on 17-11-2012 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join