It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hostess, maker of Twinkies and Ding Dongs, says closing business

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Headlessshell

Unions did their role by bringing workplace safety and fairness up to a civilized standard but now they are nothing more than a literal tick to most companies by demanding unjustified pay and benefits for jobs that are not even skilled labor some of them.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by NihilistSanta
My Mother was laid off last Christmas when the company she works for was sold to another company. They did away with the union. I am torn on this issue really.

Its kind of like corporate raiding from the inside.

Close the company - - sell off the products - - new owners expand and hire "chosen" employees for less money.

All the CEO's and upper management will probably have no problem being hired at their top salary with another manufacturer.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Headlessshell

There is a need for Unions. History has written that point over and over. Management is never put in the spotlight. Why?

There was once a time and place for unions. That time was very long ago, and there is no current need for unions. It's time for unions to be retired since they wont give up their scam willingly.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Unions don't bring in Jobs. Look at all the auto plants in the south. No unions = More jobs. Lower paying but you aren't on the govt tit or starving.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
18000 people losing their Jobs, right before Christmas. Looks like the Union didn't help the employees after all.

Its like saying if the company fires you, the company is screwed. Somebody else will pick up their buisness, or even buy up the brand names and produce Twinkies.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Yee haw for the my way or the highway mentality

Someone saying don't talk to me cause I don't like what you say to give me more money or we strike and make 18,000 people lose their jobs.

Yep it's like that looks like that instant self gratification crowd "wins".

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
And people said Romney was the job killer.

link   
My childhood favorites, oh how sad. A 40-year love affair ended so tragically. Truly a sad day for America

link   
reply to post by Merinda

You are right. I'm sure since there is apparently profit in Twinkies that someone can just go get a loan and open a Twinkie factory.

In reality some mega conglomerate will get a larger market share now for their low overhead pastry treat produced in Mexico.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Do none of the posters understand why unions started in the first place????????????
Do some real research into the conditions of workers forced to do in circa 1900. In the mines or mills of this country. My lord. The conditions and wages were deplorable. This country was founded on slave labor.
Im not saying all unions are good but reallly??? Hostess is in billions of debt. Did the unions do that????
No. Management screwed it up. Instead of golden bonuses for them maybe they should have investerd the money into the business. Does no one here look at the bonuses that these corrupt scum get????
The big problem I have with unions is the nepotism. If you go to work high or your lazy then you should be fired.
Most people want to work at a fair wage and safe work place. They don't want to destroy the company. Simply be a part of it. Its called being reasonable.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAngryFarm

You have no clue. Do some research as why unions were started. Are you even old enough to be on here?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KoolerKing

Most people want to work at a fair wage and safe work place. They don't want to destroy the company. Simply be a part of it. Its called being reasonable.

There are already employment laws in place in regards to wage and safety.

That negates the need for unions to continue to exist.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
At least in schools now .. the kids will be more focus without twinkies
and less (f word)

it is just sad for the 18000 underpaid employees working in shop
doing the same thing over and over again like robots
i have worked in a food shop when i was 18 yrs old .. (quite depressing)
very boring routine
edit on 11/16/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
even fast food is fixing to start closing down ... McDonalds just missed its numbers, Jack in the Box is offering premium quality burger combo's for 5$.... Carls Jr. two burgers for 4$ ... And Burger King is offering 55 cent Whoppers towards the end of this month to celebrate its 55 yrs.

I asked the mgr. of Mcdonalds whats there number one burger,French Fries is best money maker and seller and it is the McDouble for a 1$ and number 2 is McChicken also for a buck.... then their preimum sandwiches Angus burgers... what happend to Big MAC and Quaterpounder with cheese ??? yea, things are getting weird in retail for sure.... you cant make a profit suffiecent to expand and you cant plan because of this weird environment... and now Obamacare and tax hikes ... Yikes a recipe for an economic collapse is not far off - just raise the gasoline price and the job is done.

edit on 16-11-2012 by 1BornPatriot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
Fairness is what we don't have anymore. 100 years of unions have destroyed it.
I served as a chief steward while working for what would be considered a VERY enlightened employer. I was kept busy as hell keeping management on the straight and narrow...which is to say keeping to the collective agreement which they had negotiated and signed as well. I repeat...NO employer gets a union unless they richly deserve it! You guys join in that race to the bottom if you wish - God only knows some folks just can't manage life without a scapegoat - but the corporations are sitting on their dough and as laughing as the lower classes duke it out to find somebody...anybody...to blame for their woes.

And the fools readily oblige.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Errr....not reading all these pages...just to let you know...Hostess was in Bankruptcy before Obamacare came into being....so stfu if that is what you are thinking...

I am soooo going to miss these guys....they were a staple of my childhood back in the 70's. I take pretty good care of myself and generally eat healthy...but on occasion...I really-really liked a Hostess Lemon Pie...damn those things are awesome!

I caught a report coming out of DC this morning that the executor is going to be selling off rights to the "favorites"...which means Twinky, Ding Dong, Swiss Rolls will prob still be around. I wonder how many of these Little Debbie will grab up? I remember when I was a kid, "Little Debbie" was about the equivalent of "generic"...now they are pretty mainstream.

Hostess just poorly performed and that is that. They used to do just fine...oh...before someone goes there....they rocked back in the 70's...during the boomtime of unions so stfu...again. Has nothing to do with it. If I had to guess, I'd say their downfall was probably the next generation of owners/controllers sucked at their job...it's not like the name needed to be marketed..."everyone" new who Hostess was.

I will say this and bow out...I will not argue.

I am a Libertarian and I believe it is a dog eat dog world...but the worker is one of those dogs in the fight. If you continuously overlook the guy doing the work that buys your next yacht...he is eventually going to make sure you get bent...that is the law of the jungle Tarzan. People should be allowed to make a decent living and corporations need to be able to make a profit. What is missing in this equation you ask?....The Gov...they need to take a long walk off a short pier.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

Hostess doesnt make little debbie.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by KoolerKing

Doh...re-read...I did not say that! I said 'I wonder how many of these little debbie will pick up"....doh!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
God only knows some folks just can't manage life without a scapegoat - but the corporations are sitting on their dough and as laughing as the lower classes duke it out to find somebody...anybody...to blame for their woes.

And the fools readily oblige.

Allow me to fix the bolded portion for you.

God only knows some losers, degenerates, criminals, and lazy jackasses just cant manage to get a job without unions.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Again, as someone in a union, I wouldn't lay blame on the union itself. Our union, before making any major decisions takes a poll from its members. If the majority of the members support a strike, then the union will go for it. Personally, I dread the thought of a strike. I think the closure of Hostess was due to a number of factors.

Poor economy, facing bankruptcy, poor management...looks like the company was struggling to make ends meet and the strike was just enough for them to make the move to shut down for good.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join