It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The God Gene: Is God in our Genes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Question:
Which came first, God or the human need for God?

Time magizine has a very intersting read this month and one that I highly recommend be read. This articles seems to mesh/mix religion with science in hopes of maybe answering or starting to answer the ever-present question of God and why ever since the dawn of thinking man that we Humans have always considered the possibility of God or gods. Belief, faith, conviction, and spirituality has always been present within Man, whether he was awe worshipping the Moon or the stars, falling commets and asteroids, to nature.

Know that science and more importantly, since the Genome Project, the study of genes (genetics) has accelerated tremendously. Science is showing that once held beliefs, such as homosexuality is a choice, may actually be connected to our genetics, our genes. That these 'things' may be inherited and passed on by means of the genes. According to this article, the answer may and most probably is found somewhere within our genetic makeups, our genes.

The question of "Is there a God" and the assertions that there is and that there isn't may be beyond the realm of science for now, but a 'connection', a possible answer, if there is one, may reside within our very own genes.

Reason, if you will, why do we seek to believe that there is a God? Think to the time prior to Jesus and others, why do we want there to be a God? This is NOT a question or debate on whether there is a God, but on why we, as humans, seek to believe/create the need for a God? Is it possible that there is a 'God' gene that instinctually causes Man/Humans to create the need for a God?

If Charles Darwin was right and natural selection favors some traits over others, what reasons can we find for the persistence of human spirituality? This is a matter for educated guesses, rather than exact science. But one of the important roles that God genes may play in natural selection is to provide human beings with an innate sense of optimism -- the will to keep on living and procreating, despite the fact that death is ultimately inevitable.

Are we born with a God gene?
a 'god gene'?
Scientists sift evidence for a 'God gene'

Think about it....
Comments or thoughts?

seekerof

[edit on 21-10-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Vrey, very interesting! We all have a spark of the devine in us...everyone. A higher power that lives within us. I fully intend to garb a copy!

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Is the science and chemistry that is behind the "God-seeking gene" any different from the science and chemistry that causes humans to search for anything else? We are always seeking knowledge, technology, science, music, food, gossip, love, movies, television episodes... We are driven by looking. Searching. This is how we evolved to become the most powerful survivors on the planet, yet we have no claws, fangs, venom, camoflouge, wings, or whatever other traits that make a species strong.

Humans are totally awesome.

Zip

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
``

sure is some thought provoking material...

that can? lead to searching; 'God Consciousness' or 'Holographic Consciousness', ' The God Part Of The Brain', 'Spirit Molecule' ....

Noetic Science, and such... which ret. Astronaut Ed Mitchell is/was involved

blending science/philosophy/theology/shamanism....

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
There was an excellent paper I read a while back from a geneticist...I'll have to dig it up, went along with a lot of the above, and it was interesting to see ideas I've had since childhood, shared by others...

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I appreciate everyone's comments thus far and Gaz...I would love to read that paper.

I posted this topic because in thinking about this, I have found that there are genes for almost everything: genes for intelligence, genes for atheletic ability, genes for sexual orientation, genes for inheritable cancers, etc. If this be the case, then wouldn't it be almost a sure bet that there are genes which possibly govern 'our' humanist need for a higher thought, higher Being, a God, per se'?

I have great tendency to think so and this article and others have me leaning greatly in the direction of this belief. Perhaps science will eventually confirm such...

seekerof

[edit on 22-10-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I posted this topic because in thinking about this, I have found that there are genes for almost everything: genes for intelligence, genes for atheletic ability, genes for sexual orientation, genes for inheritable cancers, etc. If this be the case, then wouldn't it be almost a sure bet that there are genes which possibly govern 'our' humanist need for a higher thought, higher Being, a God, per se'?
[edit on 22-10-2004 by Seekerof]

Interesting, so maybe I should quit university and use my computer programmer gene?

What I point at is that in the current Genomania people tend to forget other factors.

I personally always thought that we invented god because we are aftaird to take responsibility for our actions.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I don't think it's a gene per se, but just a basic human feeling towards our own mortality. Most of us want something more after this life, so that's how all these man-made religions came out, as an answer to that.

I think if we were immortal, or somehow not aware of our own mortality, we would not be as interested in seeking out God. But we aren't, so some people look to God as a way to ensure that they are immortal.

So it's not a "god gene" per se, but just a basic human emotion that manifests itself as "seeking someone higher," which they are trying to attribute to a gene. At least that's my opinion.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Good topic Seekerof.

I've been debating this one a little while since seeing it on CNN and being passed a similar article. Here's what stands out to me (some have it; some don't!)...

The third step was to search for specific genes involved in spirituality. By comparing self-transcendence scores with DNA patterns, one such "God gene" stood out. It's called VMAT2, and it is linked to a protein that controls the amount of crucial brain-signaling chemicals. Interestingly, these same brain chemicals can be triggered by certain drugs that can bring about mystical-like experiences.

The "God Gene" is VMAT2? And can be triggered by drugs as well? This makes total sense. TOTAL sense.

You hear about the "natural high" of God and spirituality all the time. Works for some. Not for others. Why is that?

And some get addicted to drugs. Some don't. Why is that?

Also the emptiness (or lacking) of some people that seek to artificially inflate spirituality (or kill "pain") with drugs. Okay, that's judgemental. Chemical is chemical, so is one more artificial than the other? Did Terrence McKenna literally find God with hallucinagenics? Can I?

And if it's really definable (this "God" gene) as a presence of VMAT2. What about this?

"Loss of striatal vesicular monoamine transporter protein (VMAT2) in human coc aine users"

CONCLUSIONS: Human coc aine users lose VMAT2 protein, which might reflect damage to striatal dopamine fibers. These neuronal changes could play a role in causing disordered mood and motivational processes in more severely dependent patients.

Cocaine blocks the "God" gene. Well, in long term use. Though in short term use it helps you "find" him? In other words, you can run out of God?!? That it's probably a genetic trigger that makes one search for or feel His presence (or not) may be true, but it's the DOPAMINE that'll get you every time.

I submit then, God is neither inifinite or in unlimited supply. In high demand no doubt, but finite nonetheless. And can be found on your local street corner for a benjamin.
Don't be left out!!!

[edit on 23-10-2004 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It has never been out of my mine that we are part of the same source, what created us has to be part of us and we part of it.

God, creator, supreme being whatever you fancy to call it, has always been connected to us.

We are not a lonely species in this planet but we are also part to everything that lives in this planet and part of the universe, but when it comes to the "creator, god, or supreme being" he not necessarily has to be part to anything else but us human beings of the species when it comes to sharing the same genetic make over.

Very good article Seekerof, it reinforces more my personal beliefs and connection with the creator. Thanks

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for discovery of the psychic gene. Wonder how long before they locate it?

new topics

top topics

join