It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barnett Jackal crossbow. What is your opinion? shtf home protection..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I carry pepper spray when biking. If I'm on the local trail that runs through some lonley parts near downtown, I carry a pistol. You just never know...

I did have to use the pepper spay on a dog for the first time a few weeks ago. I had bough the kind that said something like "the kind the police use". I had ridden about 10 miles...

Pretty much dropped the snarling, foaming german shepard in his tracks.
edit on 16-11-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I was thinking in a shtf scenario,

What do you do when you run out of pepper spray.

Personally I would be way more affraid of a Guy with a crossbow, than a can of mace.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
i thought the 2nd amendment says you have a right to bear arms, it says nothing about not being a felon or a model of society.

it clearly says every american has a right to bear arms. the way i see it, the state of illinois has left you unarmed and stripped of any serious means to defend yourself.

does the constitution trump illinois or does illinois trump the constitution.

if you're an american, the call is easy to make.

if they arrest you, get a good lawyer and fight it in the courts. that is what its there for.

I do not mean any harm or offence by this. And I appreciate you commenting on the thread but

Are you serious?

Do you live in the states?
Have you ever faced a judge in a court of law?
Do you read the news papers or watch the television?

Seriously man Illinois is like the most( except maybe new York ) gun control happy state in the union.

If you are a felon and get caught with a firearm, it is automatically double digit time in the prison cell.

There is no fighting the state law when you are a broke azz like me.

Sorry man but I sure am glad you do not give me law advice, and I sure hope you don't give any to anyone else. Sorry man but you gave to be smarter than that.

Although my mother has a foid card.

edit on 17-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowcast
My advise, Go shoot a crossbow and see how difficult and in efficient it is to reload. Better hot that first arrow or you'll be asking the burgled to help you reset the crossbow.
edit on 16-11-2012 by Shadowcast because: (no reason given)

I have been known to aim straight.

There is also the scare factor in looking down the shaft of an arrow shoved in your face with one of these.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
I have a Parker crossbow, if someone breaks into my house, they will get a bolt in the throat, face or chest, I'm not worried about manslaughter charges, if you shoot n kill an intruder, most states have the castle law, I think you'd be protected under that

That is kind of what I was thinking.

It might be worth a few months in the county, knowing the intruder didn't harm my family.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

A German Shepard is a little different than a crackhead.

You ain't gonna stop a gang o f crackheads with pepper spray.

Thank you for the input though.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
i thought the 2nd amendment says you have a right to bear arms, it says nothing about not being a felon or a model of society.

it clearly says every american has a right to bear arms. the way i see it, the state of illinois has left you unarmed and stripped of any serious means to defend yourself.

does the constitution trump illinois or does illinois trump the constitution.

if you're an american, the call is easy to make.

if they arrest you, get a good lawyer and fight it in the courts. that is what its there for.

There would be nothing to fight. The Supreme Court has long since ruled that 'reasonable' restrictions on the 2nd amendment may be enacted by Congress, and the ban on felons owning firearms has been accepted for a very long time now. A felon using a firearm to defend their home might avoid a homicide charge, but the conviction on weapons charges would be all but guaranteed.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Your probably better off not being on a government list of owning a firearm. Just go buy a gun on armslist from a private individual. Better than being on a list with the FOID.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well I dunno about that particular CB .. but I do know that if I had one pointed at Me I would feel quite nervous. Even a pistol crossbow would make me uneasy ( I used to have one and it was enough to damage ).

As far as pepper spray or bear spray .. um yea.. they can be an effective tool when used in a fight or flight scenario. Limited usage for sure.

*** Disclaimer !!! Next is Just Personal Experience and should be Verified by your Local Laws ***

When I had a sailboat in the caribbean there was some issue with me boats and guns in different countries. I was 20 .. I did not have a gun on my boat but was warned about intruders boarding MY vessel. I was Instructed by a long standing Captain to fill a Joy bottle ( any soap bottle with a snout tip ) with Ammonia. If I was boarded I was to squirt the solution on the boarder(s). I was told they would not be able to breath and jump overboard into the water to counter the affect of being blasted with Ammonia.

Understand that this solution could be Fatal in application !

**** End Disclaimer ***

Now I dont know if this is Illegal or not in a household situation ..but I sure felt safer on my boat without a Pistol. I did have a few fish spear guns ( Riffe ) that would damage as well.

Bottom line is between my Riffe and my joy bottle with ammonia .. without a gun .. I was feeling as close to protection that I could get personally.

JG.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
What you do is if you get attacked you spray the attacker in the face first, then in the balls. It would be like putting a hot firey torch right to there balls! I'd shoot the guy in the face. Then I'd hand cuff them. Then I'd pull down there pants and shoot them in the balls. Then I'd crack open a beer and watch the show! LOL

I think you would get charged with something for that bit of extra torture...
If you cant get a firearm, it would be your next best(legal) bet. Dont listen to the trolls.
It does take time to ready, though. You can leave it strung and cocked for extended periods of time, but if you do leave it cocked, make sure to loose(aka shoot, you dont fire arrows, and they are actually not bolts) it at least once a day. This relieves tension on the limbs and various other parts. You can do really bad damage if you leave it cocked without doing this for extended periods.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join