It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Black Friday Nationwide Walkout

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

thats great for you badger and i too worked at walmart when i was young... however let's look at the employee's at a typical walmart store... handicapped, elderly, single moms, a few young cart pushers and stockers.. Most are part-time employee's and some folks don't start at wal=mart they end at wal-mart. Not all people are able bodied or feeble minded.... lets be 4 real.. not everyone is like you.

ps. thank you for serving the nation.

edit on 17-11-2012 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic
reply to post by badgerprints

. however let's look at the employee's at a typical walmart store... handicapped, elderly, single moms, a few young cart pushers and stockers.. Most are part-time employee's and some folks don't start at wal=mart they end at wal-mart.

That's the whole point.
The reason that these people are working for wal mart is that they either can't do more, havent reached the level of making a next step, or won't.
Wal mart is just a low end part time job unless you are management or above.
It's NOT INTENDED to give people any kind of living besides management level and above.

I'm not defending Wal-Mart. I'm telling people that they are short changing themselves by expecting too much out of a piss poor job like Wal-Mart.

It's a low wage stepping stone.

Wal Mart is not a social program. It's a lousy retail chain.

edit on 17-11-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I hate our town wally world, the employees are mean and really could care less about even trying to smile, give eye contact or say hello.....They are our towns poorer and lower IQd group of folks obviously completely dissatisfied with their job.

***Locally we have had Hostess, Best Buy, Sears, Home Depot and Old Navy close all this year.....so where would our poor town Walmart workers go if they went on strike? Nowhere, because nowhere is where our economy is......
edit on 17-11-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
I love it when somebody takes a job and then demands more than they agreed to work for.
If its not worth doing then don't take that job.
Wal mart gets away with paying low wages because people agree to work for them.

I usually only buy toilet paper from Walmart because that's what most of their products are good for but I'd consider spending more on Black Friday just to push a full cart through a picket line.
I've got no respect for the gang mentality.

I totally agree..minimum wage is minimum wage. Don't like the wage, talk to your nearest President you voted in.

Btw, you think the low wages at Walmart are bad? Check out how much other countries like China, Mexico, India, etc... pay their workers.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Good for them, but really if they treat you so bad why not find another job????All you have to do is look! Wal Mart is a bunch of scumbags in corporate though theres no reason they should treat their employees so badly. Why not make the statement and let them make 12 to 15 dollars an hour starting, they sure as hell make a lot of money. Why not have happy employees who want to stay?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceranko
Good for them, but really if they treat you so bad why not find another job????All you have to do is look! Wal Mart is a bunch of scumbags in corporate though theres no reason they should treat their employees so badly. Why not make the statement and let them make 12 to 15 dollars an hour starting, they sure as hell make a lot of money. Why not have happy employees who want to stay?

My question is, why not have a second job? That is what most people are doing these days...looking for residual income

edit on 17-11-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
You should not work for anything less than ten dollars and hour, because your going to have to get two jobs to live, unless you bunk with four people in a one bedroom apt and share rent you can do this if you can rough it and live with your bunkmates. I did this two guys in the "Living Room and Two in the bedroom seperated by partitions. It sucks yeah but when you consider it just a place to sleep and wash its not so bad. We had plenty of money to party and travel. But you have to do this with people you trust no freeloaders. Its like living in a hostel. I miss college.
edit on 17-11-2012 by ceranko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I've never heard of anyone signing a contract to work for Walmart, except in the union warehouses and truck drivers? What did you do for them?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
May I contribute my 2 cents-worth? I work at Wal-Mart.

Originally posted by darkhorserider
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I HATE workers that don't want to honor the agreement they were thrilled to get the day they were hired. They applied for a job, interviewed for a job, and accepted the job when it was offered, for the pay that was offered, and the requirements that were outlined, but then at some point down the road they think they deserve more?

Yes, of course! Workers strive for more money just like the company does. Workers/employees need to take the same mercenary attitude as anyone else. If people had their senses together and their own well-being as first priority, our capitalist system would work better. My vision is bosses and supervisors harassed all day long by good workers requesting better pay.

If you don't like working at Walmart, then stop working there! Sure, the pay is low, the hours are crappy, you are on your feet the whole shift, but that is exactly what you agreed upon when accepting the position.

Try being a CNA for a day or two. Same crappy hours, same crappy pay, but instead of standing behind a cash register, you are cleaning up adult diapers and getting spit on and cursed at, and you have to spend money out of your own pocket for the training and licensing for the privilege of taking the menial, abusive job! Why don't CNA's and LPN's walk out of their crappy jobs and leave all the old folks without care?

Are conditions at Walmart worse than Diamond mines in Africa? Coal mines? 19th century sewing factories? Do these lazy-ass people even know what bad working conditions are? Have they ever seen bad working conditions? I HIGHLY doubt it!

That's a hell of an argument and not properly placed here. As they say, if my uncle had wheels and pedals...

Get up at 5 a.m. on a brisk -10 degree morning to go pressure wash cars at a car lot for $7 per hour, while chipping the ice off your face mask and gloves and going home with blisters in your boots, and wind burn around your eyes, and lips that are cracked and bleeding from the cold dry air. And even that isn't bad working conditions, it is exactly what the job was expected to be, for the pay that I agreed to, and I was happy to have!

Screw these people, I hope they get fired on the spot.
edit on 16-11-2012 by darkhorserider because: (no reason given)

Fired on the spot? To what end? That seems harsh.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by WhamBamTYM

To the end that other employees might get hired and be dependable, and actually work on their employer's busiest and most important day of the year.

This is extortion to threaten to walk out on Black Friday. Hell, I think they should get fired and replaced for the mere threat of it. Why wait until Friday? Fire them now and find replacements before the day comes.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

To the end that other employees might get hired and be dependable, and actually work on their employer's busiest and most important day of the year.

This is extortion to threaten to walk out on Black Friday. Hell, I think they should get fired and replaced for the mere threat of it. Why wait until Friday? Fire them now and find replacements before the day comes.

oh don't worry they will all be fired.. it'll be a witch hunt of walmart employee's.. who said unionize? oh no they don't put up with that.. it will be squelched.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
If Walmart ever goes the way of Hostess, FEMA will have plenty of ready made detention centers.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

reply to post by ldyserenity

I've never heard of anyone signing a contract to work for Walmart, except in the union warehouses and truck drivers? What did you do for them?
I worked as a cashier they have an agreement it's not exactly a contract but it outlines the terms of your employment so It is a legal document. Maybe not exactly contract but they did dishonor my terms of employment so I dishonored it as well.

ETA: and in that document I was stipulated to work between 30-40 hrs a week, Not ten I negotiated that I would not take parttime, I have done retail for fifteen + years and passed theirs and many other management tests. I should have negotiated for management but they just didn't have an opening so I was hoping I'd be able to at least bring in some money until someone left in management (A lot of them were leaving for another newer Wal Mart store opening nearby) but then after 1 month they decimated my hours to ten That wouldn't pay my gas to get there and I loved ten minutes away!
edit on 17-11-2012 by ldyserenity because: add

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

The way I see it Black Friday is not Black Friday anymore. They are being asked to report at 3 PM on Thanksgiving Day, for the sales to begin at 8PM Thanksgiving night.

I remember 10-12 years ago the Walmart sale began at 5AM on FRIDAY, not 8 PM on Thanksgiving.

All the stores keep starting their sales earlier and earlier to "beat the competition".

Soon we will be skipping Thanksgiving Dinner just to shop.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917

The way I see it Black Friday is not Black Friday anymore. They are being asked to report at 3 PM on Thanksgiving Day, for the sales to begin at 8PM Thanksgiving night.

I remember 10-12 years ago the Walmart sale began at 5AM on FRIDAY, not 8 PM on Thanksgiving.

All the stores keep starting their sales earlier and earlier to "beat the competition".

Soon we will be skipping Thanksgiving Dinner just to shop.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
If you ask me, the people who ought to be walking out are the customers right along with
the employees.

Somewhere down the line we have lost that social contract that jobs have to pay a living wage.
At the rate we are going if you worked 80-90 hours a week at 4 different part time jobs you'd barely
manage to pay your way in this country. What good does that do? It makes it appear like all these people are employed if they are merely counting jobs "created".
People can't schedule enough time to work this much.

This has to stop. That's what unions were about in the first place.

Oh Ross Perot, the giant sucking sound has come and gone and this is what we are left with.
I wonder if people remember you told them this a long time ago.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I agree with these people.being treated like crap for the holidays.Worked to death and the Walmart owners are mega rich billionaires.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I shop at Wal-Mart (and Target and Costco and other such places), because it is cheaper, end of story. As populations grow, stores will grow. Mom and pop shops other than in small towns, are no longer the norm. I don't buy something there if it is obviously cheap junk. But they sell many items that are quality items.. or at least as much quality as anywhere else you normally buy.

As far as employees go.. if you don't like it, find another job. No one is forcing them to work there. A lot of places.. a LOT.. have sub-standard working conditions. Boohoo. They don't know "substandard." What.. they only got 45 minutes for lunch? They actually have to WORK the entire time they are at work? How terrible. What is substandard? The wages? Then get educated / experience / a trade.. and find another JOB. People should be happy to have a job.

I lost my job of 15 years when the fortune 500 company I worked for cut 25% of their support staff. So now I am working IT in a construction company, for less money, and working longer and harder hours than ever before. But I am happy to be employed at all. And I have busted my butt in the first 6 months I have worked there, and have already been promoted to the manager of my department, and been given several important projects. Because I am willing to work, not moan about how unfair it is. And this is nothing.. NOTHING.. compared to most countries.

Typical whining Americans.. omg I can't browse the web and be lazy when I should be working, STRIKE STRIKE!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I am strongly against any corporation that chooses to be open on Thanksgiving day. Rather than simply boycotting them however, I plan to make my statement by going to my local Walmart on Thanksgiving evening to fill up several (read: as many as possible) shopping carts full of frozen foods and small cosmetics items while acting as a legitimate shopper. I will then dump these carts off, choosing to "change my mind" and costing them tens of thousands if damaged merchandise and labor costs restocking emptied shelves. Have fun paying to re-stock the entire cosmetics department. Happy Thanksgiving!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Go ahead .. Walk out.. I will send down all my unemployed friends to take your place.. They would love to work for what you are unhappy with... and IF I want to go to Walmart on Friday or any other day I will walk past your line.. IF you are still there....YOU KNOW.. when you are fired you are walked OFF THE PROPERTY....

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join