It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Black Friday Nationwide Walkout

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Walmart is not a fun/leisure shopping experience. It's get in,get yours & get the hell out. Then the parking is another story.

Nobody goes to Walmart for a good wholesome family shopping experience. It's ruthless cutthroat consumerism at its finest.

That being said, with low wages and disgruntled rude & impatient attitudes of consumers, do you really expect the staff to be above and beyond standard customer service? This blackout is a meager attempt of this years "occupy"

Good luck at making a change in Walmarts shopping experience!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tbrooks76

That is a fallacy. The USA is still the world's leading manufacturer, beating China by over 40%.
The gap has just gotten smaller, is all.
Everyone buys into the myth because all the household and cheap products are made in China. But what the US produces is things on a mass scale, scientific equipment, chemicals, pesticides, airplane parts, computer equipment, military equipment. STuff that doens't have "made in" on it.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

yep they could be like the hostess workers go on and strike then no job to go back too, in to days work market be glade you have a job, oh yea that's right it is a welfare state now, yea go on and strike get the doors closed, no job openings for other job seekers.
122112 could be the end after all, no more Hostess, no more walley world er Walmart, nor more respect for Unions, or need.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

Home depot does the same thing with almost everything, not just tools. A locksmith guy once did a demo for home owners, showing them why a deadbolt straight from the company was almost double, and why it was worth the price. Cheaper guts made the lock very easy to break. That is why it is so much cheaper.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider
reply to post by doobydoll

They have the right to treat the workers however they want, because they agreed to pay the workers a certain amount of pay, for a certain amount and type of work. The workers don't have to take the job, but once they take it, they are expected to deliver their end of the deal.

I don't shop at Walmart. If you disagree with their practices, then find a nice little local place and support it instead! That is what we all need to do. Support a business that has a local owner, and the whole world becomes a better place.

Workers have kept to that agreement too.

They agreed to work for pay, they didn't agree to be treated like cack while working.

And I do support my local corner shop, the owner and his lovely family are immigrants from pakistan and he employs 4 people in his small shop. He treats his employees with respect and has a wonderful relationship with them, The atmosphere is uplifting and I love going in there.

Forget Walmart, Tesco etc, they can't push you through the tills and out the doors fast enough, and none of it with a smile.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

They are unethical in their business practice, but not in the way they treat their employees. I worked there for a couple of years, and I thought it was a pretty decent company. I know people that retired from there as millionairres from the stock sharing alone!

I never said you worked at Walmart, but it is your OP, and you are advocating the strike, so the reply naturally went to you.

These workers are still being ridiculous. If you don't like working there, go to work somewhere else!

I wonder how many of these striking workers are also buying their Thanksgiving groceries and Christmas gifts at the very place they are calling unethical?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by hollwd
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

What they thought they could get more money if they walked out... Stupid is as Stupid does....

your attitude fits quite well with the bottom line in my sig. now get back to work peasant, lest you loose your meager servitude.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

Just curious, do you live in canada? I never heard of the stock sharing options in the US, first time I heard about it was up here. Up here it seems that walmart is a great place to work. I know 4 people that work at one and are happy with it.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Tbrooks76

That is a fallacy. The USA is still the world's leading manufacturer, beating China by over 40%.
The gap has just gotten smaller, is all.
Everyone buys into the myth because all the household and cheap products are made in China. But what the US produces is things on a mass scale, scientific equipment, chemicals, pesticides, airplane parts, computer equipment, military equipment. STuff that doens't have "made in" on it.

you think...I can give you list of chemicals plants I know have closed down. 4 plants I use to do work for have closed. Also show me a made in the USA TV.
it's not fallacy, the fallacy is false believe we don't have a probem with industray leavings.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I would have thought that in 2012 we would have progessed as a species enough to move beyond petty self-centered egotism. You come across as a person who already has a decent job and has never had to go on public assistance.

You call it "progress" to reward people for not honoring an agreement? To enable people to do less and demand more? To forget personal responsibility and demand someone else fix their problems? I'm glad we haven't progressed to that point yet, but it frightens me how close we are getting.

A Walmart warehouse is not even on the same planet of "dangerous" working conditions as most of the working class. Tell that BS to the workers killed on the oil rig this morning, or the cashiers that will be killed at convenience stores tonight, or the guys dragging their asses out of the coal mines today. Calling a Walmart Distribution Center "dangerous" is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Hell, by those standards, I should be receiving hazard pay for having to come up 2 flights of stairs to my office, and for the death threats I get weekly on the phone. I remember running a forklift at a warehouse, and it was a pretty fun job! I never felt nearly as endangered there as I do here at my cushy government desk being hated by the world, LOL!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Just curious, do you live in canada? I never heard of the stock sharing options in the US, first time I heard about it was up here. Up here it seems that walmart is a great place to work. I know 4 people that work at one and are happy with it.

Nope. US. I used to work in some of the greatest Walmart stores on Earth! Springdale, Arkansas, and Bentonville, Arkansas. The stores there are just HUGE and spotless! When I was a kid, before the "Supercenters" had been invented. Many of my friends moms worked at Walmart, and many of them retired in their 50's with millions in stock. My mom kicked herself for not going to work there, LOL!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Except in both cases, WalMart comes in and drives out the little business. Apparently you haven't seen the towns where the only place to go is walmart.

Where have you been?

I've definitely seen that, and I have no problem demonizing Walmart for their business practices. Personally, I do not shop at Walmart, or any other giant corporation, I shop local, even if I have to drive across town to do it.

BUT, to say they are unfair to their employees is just false. They are very decent to their employees, except for the unfortunate side-effect of working retail, where retail hours interfere with weekends and holidays. Blame the throngs of people that will be in there on Thursday buying last minute items. If there was no business, they wouldn't be open. Blame the consumers.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

My sister gets over 17.00 an hour at Walmart been there under two years. her pay is double what the average job is there and she has full benefits. Sometimes people get greedy.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

My sister gets over 17.00 an hour at Walmart been there under two years. her pay is double what the average job is there and she has full benefits. Sometimes people get greedy.

As a manager trainee there 18 years ago, at the ripe old age of almost 21, I made $33,000 per year, plus small bonus potential, plus good benefits, health insurance, 401k, and discounted stock purchase and employee discount. I'm sure it pays more by now. I didn't have a college degree, and I was newly married. They paid to relocate my wife and I to a new town, they trained me, and they are still a wonderful reference on my resume to this day.

There isn't anything wrong with Walmart's hiring or employment practice. I am still amazed that they get away with their business practices, because those are criminal, but the employment practices are on the up and up.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider

I HATE workers that don't want to honor the agreement they were thrilled to get the day they were hired. They applied for a job, interviewed for a job, and accepted the job when it was offered, for the pay that was offered, and the requirements that were outlined, but then at some point down the road they think they deserve more?

Since when has asking for a raise/more benefits been unacceptable? Especially after giving years to a company. It used to be that worker loyalty was rewarded with bonuses/raises/pensions but somewhere along the line things changed for the worse. Now loyal employees are only a necessary evil cost of doing business. Pay them as little as possible with as few benefits as possible to make a few extra points on profit margins is the new norm in business today.

I have heard many times over many threads/conversations that employers aren't in business to provide for their employees, only to make a profit for the owners/shareholders. That is exactly right. And they will do whatever they can legally get away with to reduce costs and increase profits, all in the name of capitalism. Damn the costs to humanity/the environment/etc.

I don't want to demonize business owners per say, just the ones that feel cutting workers' hours/pay and taking bonuses for themselves is ok. I think we should have laws like some other countries do where the CEO can only make a certain percentage more than his lowest paid employee.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I don't know whether to support it or not. If I was with the strikers and talked with them long enough to understand what they're going through and if I thought they were honorable and not just losers in disguise then I might support it. Otherwise, they kind of look like complainers, but it's hard to tell.

I'll be honest though. If some of the things people say on the various youtube videos about walmart are true then walmart deserves every bit of backlash they get from their employees.

However, a lot of youtube videos are much ado about nothing. So it's easy for me to think that Walmart is a fine and lawful company and doesn't deserve to be attacked by its employees.

The worst jobs I've had were those ones where the managers and supervisors rush everything to a rate that's greater than it should be. What makes it worse is crappy workers too. And the supervisors can miss that. When you combine the two it leads to a crappy company that struggles to survive. And I think it's natural for managers and supvervisors to want to rush production. Same deal goes for the workers. The workers have a natural urge to conserve their energy and not be their best. What happens is there's a very dynamic conflict between the two that can end terrible for both of them.

I've been thinking latley about the differences between communities and companies. Looking at communities, they operate more like a family. If a man works a little slower, you don't fire him because you still like him and so you just restrict what he can do. But in a company you'd just dispassionately fire a slow guy after a time. At the same time, companies can produce a lot of product because they're very efficient. Whereas communities can be less efficient because they hold onto people longer due to emotional connections. So both have their vices and so are not perfect.
edit on 16-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thov420

There is nothing wrong with asking for a raise, asking for a promotion, or jumping ship to a competitor that will pay more. In fact, there is nothing wrong with walking out and opening up your own store to compete for business.

There is a HUGE problem with threatening a walkout on their busiest day of the year, and stomping your feet and refusing to go to work like a child!

If they offer to pay you $9 per hour, and work around your college schedule, but the tradeoff is you'll have to probably work weekends and some holidays, and you agree to that, then you have no right to turn around some time later and say it isn't fair. They did their part, so you should do your part.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I heard a little about this on the news radio coming out of DC earlier today. Kudos to the people for trying to say "enough is enough".

Look...I am not against Capitalism at all...I participate in it to the best of my limited abilities...but here is the rub.

"I" remember when things pretty much closed down "for family time" and the sidewalks were rolled up. I remember that "Black Friday" was intended to be a fun time as most every average worker had the day off and those that actually worked the stores, got big fat bonuses cause the sales were going to justify it.

Now...that isn't good enough...."Let's invade Thanksgiving day".

The sad part is, there are some bi-polar, manic depressive consumerists that are going to lose their mind if they are not the first inline.

Take a step back from the crack pipe and try using your mind....

Christmas is not about "what" you give...it is all about the act of giving. Here is a real throw back thought for you...my hobby is woodcarving...I like to carve "utilitarian" things...(in other words, useful things). I hand carve bowls (not turned on a lathe) and spoons and cooking utensils (called treenware). I give a lot of these things away for Christmas presents. Is it because I am cheap? No...it's because the things I make will be around for your grandkids to use. My stuff is made from the best local hardwoods and a spend a lot of time making them as close to perfect as I can get. There is no way I could ever put a price on the things I make because I am somewhat anal and I spend a huge amount of time making them just right.

People need to stop feeding this monster...the consumerist mindset. That is not our purpose here folks...though the TV and the media will sure make you feel like that. You are not a mouth on legs...your soul purpose is not to "consume".

I fully intend to boycott Wal Mart and others this holiday season. Does it matter? No...there are too many empty skulls that will still go buy their cheap imported junk to give away and feel like they did a good thing. If and when I buy a gift, it will be from a mom and pop shop somewhere. Not only because it supports them, but chances are they are selling far more unique items than a mega store like Wally world, Target, Sears, Penny's...etc. Supporting the local mom and pop shops...chances are you are also supporting another local vendor.

Screw Walmart....I have nothing but ill wishes for that corporation and the family behind it.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Sounds like the one my cousins work at. I might consider working there too, but that would mean driving around 2 hours each way.

People calling walmart dangerous better stay away from construction sites and such.

This year, my cuz got killed working for a mine. A chain snapped and ended up cutting him in half.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Meanwhile, the bankers are sitting in their leather chairs with their feet propped up on their desks, sucking on their stogies, sipping on their $500 bottle of scotch laughing their asses off at the idiot consumer addicts cutting each others' throats fighting over higher wages in a discount store and all the while refusing to pay $0.25 more for a yet another crappy product they don't need in the very same store that isn't paying them that wishful higher wage...

Yup, bankers are raking in the dough for doing nothing but exchanging numbers on a computer, controlling dollar values and inflation rates, while consumer addicts cut off their own noses to spite their face...

We really are a pathetic society.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join