It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Black Friday Nationwide Walkout

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider
reply to post by doobydoll

They have the right to treat the workers however they want, because they agreed to pay the workers a certain amount of pay, for a certain amount and type of work.

This is incorrect. We have something here in America called basic human rights.

Some of the conditions in the Walmart distribution centers are pretty dangerous.

Many people had no idea what working for Walmart would entail when they "signed up to do a job". Many had no idea their hours would be slashed to avoid full time status.

You must be one of those "survival of the fittest, care only about myself and screw everyone else" people.

I would have thought that in 2012 we would have progessed as a species enough to move beyond petty self-centered egotism. You come across as a person who already has a decent job and has never had to go on public assistance.

It's one thing to arm chair speculate about others, it's another thing entirely to walk a mile in these peopele's shoes.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

For a bit of perspective, I suggest you get a job at Wal-Mart and then perhaps you'll see what these folks are talking about.

That is, if you haven't bought the corporate propaganda hook, line and sinker.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oh Terrible Walmart! If only you didn't exist! Then Mom&Pop Inc could employ those millions of people and pay them $50k a year with generous benefits and retirement package to jocky registers, stock shelves and sweep floors.

Walmart is the new paradigm of employment for unskilled workers. They're paid what they're worth. Since practically anyone can do the job and there are thousands who WILL do it for what Walmart pays, a strike is pointless.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom

Originally posted by darkhorserider
reply to post by doobydoll

They have the right to treat the workers however they want, because they agreed to pay the workers a certain amount of pay, for a certain amount and type of work.

This is incorrect. We have something here in America called basic human rights.

Some of the conditions in the Walmart distribution centers are pretty dangerous.

Many people had no idea what working for Walmart would entail when they "signed up to do a job". Many had no idea their hours would be slashed to avoid full time status.

You must be one of those "survival of the fittest, care only about myself and screw everyone else" people.

I would have thought that in 2012 we would have progessed as a species enough to move beyond petty self-centered egotism. You come across as a person who already has a decent job and has never had to go on public assistance.

It's one thing to arm chair speculate about others, it's another thing entirely to walk a mile in these peopele's shoes.

that's stupid!!!
years ago you could work at store full time and maybe not be rich but make a enough to get by. So why not now, years of pushing and pushing and wanting more and more have forced companies to switch to part time hiring. You want to walk mile in someone shoes, try walking a mile is someone shoes that has to layoff friends they worked for years because they can afford to pay them anymore. There are some bad companies out there but most the problems today with getting a good job is because workers keep shooting themselves in the foot over taxing companies. I've been their and had to lay off people I didn't want to lose.

link   

reply to post by camaro68ss

I'd pay 20 cents more on an item if I know that the people working were treated like human beings.

Costco is a prime exaple of a retailer that isn't unionized and pays it's employees fairly. Many people that I have known that worked at Costco have done so for many years.

if you dont like the pay, dont work there! if everyone left because of pay, Wal-Mat would be forced natural to raise wages to entice new employees. its the basic laws of supply and demand.

Simple economics here but apparently it’s a hard lesson to a lot of people to learn
edit on 16-11-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag

For a bit of perspective, I suggest you get a job at Wal-Mart and then perhaps you'll see what these folks are talking about.

That is, if you haven't bought the corporate propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Agreed. Many people think that Walmart workers are just bitching and moaning. Many of these employees have no choice but to work at Walmart. I know that some local communities are propped up by the local "Wally-World".

Americans don't understand just how vile of a corporation Walmart is. Part of the problem is that Walmart is very good at keeping a lid on any kind of discusssion about labor issues. Walmart corporate has a private jet that scoots around the country to quell and stamp out labor disputes.

As I have previously said, I am reminded of the Carnegie Steel strikes of the early 1900's with this. I wouldn't be surprised in the next 10 years if Walmart hires private security and things get ugly.

What it boils down to is Americans need to be made aware of what these people have to put up with. I have a feeling if more people knew, they would make more informed shopping decisions.

Many of my family and friends all agree that Walmart is practically the same price as other retailers. They really aren't that much cheaper.

Walmart also buys sub-standard items and passes them off as "the real thing".

Yes, that DeWalt drill you bought *is* made by DeWalt, but the internal parts are cheaper. From the box and packaging you'd think you're buying the same drill you'd pay $60 more for at another store.

If you look closely at the model number, however, you'll see that it's a specially poorly manufactuerd product for Walmart.

The old addage is really true, you do get what you pay for.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

Originally posted by litterbaux
People don't walk off the job without another job.

There aren't enough jobs available to take all the walmart employee's.

I know for a fact that if every single Walmart employee walked out on Black Friday and got fired, they would fill every single position by the following Monday. That is just how bad unemployment is in the US right now.
And that is exactly why those assholes can treat their employees like crap and give them wages they can barely live on.

It's disgusting really.

Walmart also buys sub-standard items and passes them off as "the real thing".

Yes, that DeWalt drill you bought *is* made by DeWalt, but the internal parts are cheaper. From the box and packaging you'd think you're buying the same drill you'd pay $60 more for at another store.

If you look closely at the model number, however, you'll see that it's a specially poorly manufactuerd product for Walmart.

Another disgusting part...

Can we just get rid of Wally World already? It's obvious they don't care about anything but the $$$$ and are a detriment to society... Pleeeeeease??
edit on 11/16/2012 by ArrowsNV because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I DO NOT WORK FOR WALMART

Jesus people, how many times do I need to say it.

And no, I never shop there and will not be shopping there anytime soon. I don't support companies that bait and switch their employees.

And no, I don't expect an entry level retail job to pay 50k a year. It should pay a liveable wage though. People working full time should not be on government assistance.

I would have thought you crazy conservative people would want these people to stop milking the government's entitlement programs.

Depending on the location, some employees of Walmart qualify and utilize food stamps and other programs -- costing YOU YOUR TAX MONEY.

.20 cents more for a box of crackers so that I don't have to pay for someone's food stamps is a-ok with me.

link   
It all comes down to a really simply equation...

Don't like your job ?
Then quit.

Plain and simple.

No sympathy from me... there will be 200 people lining up to take your job for you.

It's pathetically delusional thinking to expect to make higher wages when you're working an unskilled labour-type job at a discount retail store. The company is not there to hold your hand, they're in business to make profit.

Don't like it ?
Then quit and go work for Dunkin' Donuts.

Wake up.

link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

Except in both cases, WalMart comes in and drives out the little business. Apparently you haven't seen the towns where the only place to go is walmart.

Where have you been?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Tell that to someone who must find a job to survive. What if you live in an area where the biggest single employer is Wal-Mart?

Lest you forget, this economy is still a mess.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I DO NOT WORK FOR WALMART

Jesus people, how many times do I need to say it.

And no, I never shop there and will not be shopping there anytime soon. I don't support companies that bait and switch their employees.

And no, I don't expect an entry level retail job to pay 50k a year. It should pay a liveable wage though. People working full time should not be on government assistance.

I would have thought you crazy conservative people would want these people to stop milking the government's entitlement programs.

Depending on the location, some employees of Walmart qualify and utilize food stamps and other programs -- costing YOU YOUR TAX MONEY.

.20 cents more for a box of crackers so that I don't have to pay for someone's food stamps is a-ok with me.

It's not Walmart's fault that the government-set minimum wage rate is not a livable one.
You're boycotting the wrong entities folks.

[insert slap forehead here]

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

And then what?

In this economy?

ATS: Home of the Internet's Best and Brightest.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag

And then what?

In this economy?

ATS: Home of the Internet's Best and Brightest.

What's the point you're trying to make ?
That you can't find another minimum wage job somewhere else ?
Or that you can't force the government to increase minimum wage to a livable one ?

Either way, you are making my point for me.
Accept the reality of today's economy, suck it up, and doing everything in your power to hang on to the job you have... and be damn grateful for having it.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I think you doubt which way public opinion will sway. Remember, Obama just won the election.

If shoppers are inconvenienced on Black Friday at Walmart -- I think they'll blame the parent company more than the employees. Not everyone has a "survival of the fittest, screw everyone else but me" mentality.

If Walmart is crippled on the largest shopping day of the year from walkouts and voluntary boycotts -- it would send a message -- one I think at least half the country would support.

I agree with you 100%

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

And most likely these companies have pretty powerful lobbyists to make sure that these wages don't go up.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
here a dumb question, the USA has pissed away most it manufacturing.
So with no industry jobs, what's left, it wasn't for wal mart and consumer based companies like it...who would employee you?
What you ideal economy?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Believe it or not, there are places where you can't find much if anything.

Discard the smugness and then perhaps a productive discussion can come about.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Again, you are sucking up the corporate kool aid that corporations are propagating so that they can take workers standards back to the 1920s.

Let me reverse it, if these companies can't afford to give people decent living wages and benefits, then they can't afford to do business and deserve to go out.

Walmart made 405 Billion dollars in 2011. IN what galaxy can they not afford to play employees?
edit on 16-11-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'm not sucking up corporate anything.

The simple fact of the matter is that inflation has gotten to a point that minimum wage is no longer a livable wage. This is simple fact and has nothing to do with "Walmart" per se.

Like I said, you people are boycotting the wrong entities.

You're not looking at the real gorilla in the room.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join