page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by SLAYER69

Stories like this kinda put the smack-down on paleotologists.

How is it a 'smack down'? You do realize this is what scientists are trained to do - find new stuff?

In case you didn't realize Jayne Wilkins is a paleotologist in training? So she's smacking herself down? lol

The points in question were excavated about thirty years ago, these findings come out of a study funded by the University of Toronto and the Institute of Human Origins (plus some other places) the four people who are listed as authors are either paleontologists in training or archaeologists with a subject area interest in lithics
edit on 16/11/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

Apologies.

What I meant to say was this flies in the face of conventional knowledge.

It'll shake things up in the scientific community.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
how could a spear last 500,000 years? That makes no sense. not a single atom would be in the same place after that long in my opinion.

Oldest Stone Spear Tips Found: 500,000 Years Old

Stone tips

Stone tips

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Off Topic

My God beezzer your Avatar is freaking me out and is just plain wrong on so many levels
I'm going to have nightmares me thinks

yes...

On topic.

I think this is a potential game changer and they know it.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by beezzer

Off Topic

My God beezzer your Avatar is freaking me out and is just plain wrong on so many levels

yes...

I didn't realise that my punishment would cause suffering for so many others.

On topic.

It'll be interesting to see how they (scientific community) react.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Howdy Beezer

What I meant to say was this flies in the face of conventional knowledge.

It'll shake things up in the scientific community.

Agreed it will - if it stands, as I understand the research they analyzed wear patterns on the stone, those are subject to debate (in my experience), we'll see if any one in the field objects

However I also suspect that it will - ie they (probably) coordinated the study with the other experts before hand - one of the advantages of the internet, peer review by attachment

edit on 16/11/12 by Hanslune because: Added the term 'Probably'

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
I've seen evidence of possible "structures" built by Erectus, but they were individual huts/shelters and not large constructions.

Harte

The next question for me would be how numerous are they and locations?

See, I've read much opposition to your statement in other forums ad articles over the past few years by many both in academia and the general public. Some simply refuse to attribute these types of activities and abilities to our long lost genetic cousins.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Edgar Cayce claims mankind is 1 million years old. The more time goes by the more his statements seem to be true. I bet he is right.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
Edgar Cayce claims mankind is 1 million years old. The more time goes by the more his statements seem to be true. I bet he is right.

The family of Mankind is far older than that.

Modern humans, on the other hand, certainly are not.

Harte

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
To Beez stop with that avatar your makin Cthulhu-kitties tentacles quiver in fear
As to these spear heads. I wonder how many finds are still in the omg what do we have here stage? In the past decade it seems we have had numerous finds that should be making the history books well history. We have added new {old} homids to the mix and numerous archaeological finds changing the accepted histories. All this just makes me think and feel that our ancient monuments are older than we have as scientific fact. Our ancestors were a heck of alot more innovative then we give them credit for. Making fangs and claws for us to compete with other predators would have been top of the list of things ancient man would have tried to come up with.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
I've seen evidence of possible "structures" built by Erectus, but they were individual huts/shelters and not large constructions.

Harte

The next question for me would be how numerous are they and locations?

See, I've read much opposition to your statement in other forums ad articles over the past few years by many both in academia and the general public. Some simply refuse to attribute these types of activities and abilities to our long lost genetic cousins.

I know, and I've seen opposition to the idea as well.

But I like the idea, so it's okay for me to hope it is true.
Note - I'm not claiming it's true. I just think it is.

Here's a blurb about the first Erectus "hut" I ever read about - discovered by Mary Leakey:

“While the earliest dated evidence of huts is controversial and most likely will remain so, the evidence is accumulating that hut-making was a common activity at this time. The earliest one was discovered by Mary Leakey at the DK site in Olduvai Gorge, dated 1.8 MYR ago.16 She found a circular pattern of stones, 12 feet in diameter resembling what is left from modern nomadic huts. At Melka Konture, Ethiopia, the living level was strewn with tools except for a cleared area 8 feet in diameter. In this region the surface was slightly raised above the rest of the area. Once again a few stone piles remained suggesting the presence of poles.
Source: Anthropology.net

There's some more at that link.

Couple more:

The oldest recognized buildings in the world are twelve 400,000-year-old huts found in Nice, France in 1960. Uncovered by an excavator preparing to build a new house, the oval shelters ranged from 26 feet to 49 feet in length and were between 13 feet and 20 feet wide. They were built of 3-inch in diameter stakes and braced by a ring of stones. Longer poles were set around the perimeter as supports. The huts had hearths and pebble-lined pits and were defined by stake holes.

Ancient humans thought to be Homo erectus that lived 350,000 years ago near present-day Bilzingsleben, East Germany constructed shelters similar to those of Bushmen in southern Africa. Circular bone and stone foundations were discovered for three huts between 9 and 13 feet across. In the middle of on circle, archaeologist found an elephant tusk, which they speculated was a center post.

Source: Link

It's controversial in that it is not real evidence of huts, but I like it and what sort of evidence for a mere hut would be left after all that time anyway? I submit that any evidence left would very much resemble the evidence we have.

IOW, it's unlikely we will ever prove that Erectus built structures, but also it's even more unlikely that we will ever prove they didn't. The evidence we have indicates they did, but it's not conclusive enough to say anything for sure.

Harte

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

if these ones that we found are 500000 years old, how old are the ones we havent found yet, it amazing how we can find little sharpend rocks 500000 later, it almost makes me wonder, who wanted us to find these? or who finnelly released this discovery and why? great as always slayer keep it up.

I believe you are right on the money with this. It seems more and more likely, to me anyway. They let us know what they want us to know and nothing more.
How is it possible to have missed the date by 200,000 years unless it was on purpose. I think they keep certain things under wrap until the times right for them to release it.

Strict

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I find it fascinating that scientists are so curious about space exploration...they don't realize how much of our own planet is still yet to be discovered. I'm sure there are many more discoveries like this one to be made all over the earth. Kind of makes one stop and think. If these photos are the real deal, and humans date back 500,000 years...and to see how far we've evolved. What could happen in the next 500,000 years? I've always thought that there is more to the Earth then anyone could ever know.

The more we look for clues, the more information we'll find about ourselves and origins.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strictsum

if these ones that we found are 500000 years old, how old are the ones we havent found yet, it amazing how we can find little sharpend rocks 500000 later, it almost makes me wonder, who wanted us to find these? or who finnelly released this discovery and why? great as always slayer keep it up.

I believe you are right on the money with this. It seems more and more likely, to me anyway. They let us know what they want us to know and nothing more.
How is it possible to have missed the date by 200,000 years unless it was on purpose. I think they keep certain things under wrap until the times right for them to release it.

Strict

You seem to be a bit overexcited about this.

It's only spear tips. Sone tools (Acheulean) have been found that date to two or three times older than these. Just not spear tips.

Why would you think that we should have found such old spear tips already? We "missed the date" because we have only just now found such old evidence. That's all.

It's not like these people were leaving their spear points everywhere, you know. There were relatively few of these people in the first place. In the second place, you have to look in the right location to find anything at all that was made by Erectus.

Harte

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charmeine
I find it fascinating that scientists are so curious about space exploration...they don't realize how much of our own planet is still yet to be discovered. I'm sure there are many more discoveries like this one to be made all over the earth. Kind of makes one stop and think. If these photos are the real deal, and humans date back 500,000 years...and to see how far we've evolved.

Humans date back to 2.3 million years ago (link.) So far.

Harte

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
edit on 16-11-2012 by Strictsum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Off Topic

yes...

I didn't realise that my punishment would cause suffering for so many others.

On topic.

It'll be interesting to see how they (scientific community) react.

Ditto on the Avatar
as for the reaction from the "Scientific" Community, they will deny it and possibly try to destroy the evidence
for the next few years then it will slowly be admitted to be true then after another few years accepted as fact.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Just look how far we have come since the 50s. Every year there is a huge find now.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC
as for the reaction from the "Scientific" Community, they will deny it and possibly try to destroy the evidence
for the next few years then it will slowly be admitted to be true then after another few years accepted as fact.

More ignorance.

It was scientists that found it and published it.

Harte

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strictsum

OR

They didn't have the evidence - for grins and giggles I'll ask; how and who would know this before doing the excavations and studies - and be able to control archaeologists all over the world for something, in my eyes, interesting and historic but not very 'controversial'

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC

It comes from the scientific community, 'they' published it. These spear points have been known for thirty years but the new study is recent.....not really understanding your view point on this

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join