It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Muscle Is 200 Times Stronger Than the Real Thing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I thought this would be an interesting discussion topic.

They're small but mighty. The tiny artificial muscles created by an international team of researchers are 200 times stronger than human muscle fibers of comparable size.

In the future, improved versions of the muscles could go into the next generation of motors for robots arms, flaps on airplane wings, medical devices — any inanimate thing that moves.

source: www.livescience.com...

There are a lot of applications that this sort of technology could effect. Just think if this sort of muscle could be insert into a next generation prothestic limb! You could be the bionic man/woman!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Perhaps this is also why androids/artificial humans are always portrayed with super strength in science fiction?

Interesting find.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Stop scientists! Don't you watch sci-fi? This is only going to end in tears.

But on a realistic side I think the applications for bionic limbs, exo-suits and battlemechs is promising.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Foundryman

You have an interesting point... It seems like these sci-fi movies should be offering us some sort of warning, but we don't heed them and keep pursuing all of these super cool technology and then before you know it a T1000 terminator comes knocking on your door.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHistorian

I was just reading about this on Phys.org - Link

Way cool stuff!!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I wonder if they could be used to produce power? coz it says in the article that they work by heating the wax.
Imagine miles of the stuff stretching out across deserts with pulley systems attached that coud turn generators, by day they pull, and by night they release.
?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
hey tell them that if they need a human test subject to implant it on for fun I'm game

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

It sounds like there are numerous possibilities once they are able to mass produce this stuff.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
human ants!

Need to move house? just pick it up with a few friends

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I'm not too worried about the ramifications....you still have to "power" this super strong
muscle. Human muscle will work for decades on bologna sandwiches and water.....

Now if this muscle could be powered all day by a can of Vienna Sausage...I would start worrying

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

(Half joking)To reference another movie. Maybe at some point when machines take over they power these muscles with people, a la the Matrix. Essentially, just water and bologna.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

"There's a lot of excitement," said Richard Vaia, who studies high-tech materials at the Air Force Research Laboratory at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio.

Interesting...

When they perfect that exosuit, I'll be buying the flame red and charcoal one.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'all take a full swap, please. Haha
Unfortunately the rest of your body isn't suited to withstand the rigors that would be imposed on it by doing things like bench pressing a car.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It would still be nice to know that you COULD bench press a car though, if needed. Haha

new topics

top topics

join