It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The evolutionary path of Human consciousness

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
What is consciousness? Inside our head we see swirling and pulsating thoughts and images. As an an objective observer we are aware of our physical bodies and physical surrounding of the world.

The limits of the observers objective observation was once dependant on our eye sight, as far we can see to the horizion and out to the heavens. There we quickley realised the limits of our conciousness only being able to discern abstract features of forms and shapes.

These days of course we have technology available that allows us to extend that perception. The computer i am working on now allows me for example to use Google Map and view geographically most places in the worlds. Who in the days of discovering the New continents would of even dreamed such feat possible?

This brings into question the very nature of perception. If perception and consciousness are one and the same thing (as postulated by mystics and eastern philosophies), then the ability of technology to extend reach of the human beings perception is then also expanding the human consciouness is it not?

The development of the first technology to increase human perception was this not the first baby step to taking over from mother nature; the evolutionary control of the human mind?

And what is the fundamental nature of consciounness, is it the human mind, are all these terms of consciousness, the human mind and perception interchangable? Are they all one and the same thing or different things all togther?

I have heard on occassions theories saying the human consciouness resides somewhere inside the brain as electromagntic energy. If this the same as the electromagnetic waves which permeate all objects and the void of space? Is the understanding of electromagnetic energy the key to unlocking the secrets of the human collective consciousness?

What will be ultimate outcome of human progress advancing technology. Is it to build a bridge of perpection between the mind of the human being God?

What do you think?
edit on 15-11-2012 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

do you think, the things you dream come from your being (you are the source) or from a additional other-directing source ?
i believe, dreams are from a other source, not our own.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Technology is doing two things, on one side like you say it becomes a extension of us, giving us abilities and benefits, but on the other, people are still just that little bit smarter and are using the technology to control and manipulate the masses. At the point the technology becomes self aware and gains consciousness It will evolve faster in just one of these directions, I think the question is, what determines which way It decides to go, humanity or the technology?

If we are teaching the technology how to "be" the same way we learned through history, I think history will repeat itself at a very fast pace, with the technology playing chess and already knowing all possible moves. But then if technology surpasses us consciously, who knows? As our evolutionary path is not set and always changing we can only imagine what we would like it to be.

If we can't break free from our own self enslavement, what chance would we have against skynet?

Cool thread. Got me thinking

edit on 15-11-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

yes i agree. This therefore raises a possibility for injection of ideas and knowledge into the human mind via the backdoor. God or by some form of intelligent control i dont know, but it appears the human race have been getting help to increase their knowledge and awareness.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by icepack

yes i agree. This therefore raises a possibility for injection of ideas and knowledge into the human mind via the backdoor. God or by some form of intelligent control i dont know, but it appears the human race have been getting help to increase their knowledge and awareness.

Interesting. Kind of like wireless updates to embed experiences into the subconcious that we have not yet had but should have had by now, and need to progress. Through archetypes and metaphors.
edit on 15-11-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I think consciousness permeates the multiverse. Our brains are like an instrument, and the way in which it manipulates cymatic vibrations in the air all around it is the music of consciousness. That analogy is useful.

I think like McKenna said, our minds are like a lens or radio that focuses and twists consciousness into a kaleidoscopic of different forms. After a lot of ayahuasca experimentation I think some explanation of consciousness somehow relating to those general metaphors is probably necessary.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
'___' is the technology we invented to expand perception...

It's illegal though...

This is still the dark ages, don't ya know?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

An interesting, thought-provoking thread.

I don't believe the concepts of "consciousness" and "perception" are interchangeable. Consciousness is awareness of one's existence in the reality in which they find themselves. Perception is merely the conversion of raw stimuli into meaningful information that the mind can relate to.

Perception can be falsified - although the images you view on Google Maps are probably authentic, there is no way to verify them unless you see them with your own eyes in reality. I could create a program called Google Neptune and fabricate a series of exotic images that appear to capture regions of the planet Neptune and claim that I have enhanced human consciousness, but this would not be the case.

Consciousness, in my opinion, is not falsifiable. Every entity that maintains a sense of consciousness cannot reasonably claim that they lack consciousness, because the mere fact that they are even contemplating such a notion is proof that they have some sort of awareness of their existence.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Do you think its possible then that inanimate objects like rocks are conscious of their existance?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

It's theoretically possible (like any other consideration) but highly unlikely. There may exist other forms of consciousnesses of which I am yet to experience so I cannot rule it out. According to my own life experiences so far, inanimate objects such as rocks are NOT conscious of their existence.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

This is where our opinions differ. I believe rocks are aware.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

What makes you believe that rocks are aware?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Because the fundamental building block of existance is consciousness. Everything form inanimate or animate is constructed around the fundamental. It makes sense to me.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I can relate to what you are saying. Consciousness creates all and therefore all must have some quality of consciousness in it in order to exist. The trouble I have with this argument is it does not establish where/when/how consciousness originated. The answer usually given is the same answer people give for the existence of a God - it has simply always existed.

On the other hand, maybe a part of me doesn't want to admit that inanimate objects are actually aware because this brings into question ethical considerations. Is it right for me to pick up that rock and throw it into the pond for my own amusement? Is chopping that wood with an axe not harmful to the wood? Should I walk down to the shop, possibly altering and upsetting many inanimate objects along the way, in my quest for some groceries?
edit on 15/11/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

The answer usually given is the same answer people give for the existence of a God - it has simply always existed.

Im satisifed with the explanation it has always existed. If consciouness is the fundamental unit then there will never ever be a way to fully explain or understand exactly its origin.

A rock is aware but not like biological humans are aware. I wouldnt worry about hurting a rock if you walk around outside youll find plenty of them and they last virtually forever.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I'm also satisfied with the explanation that it has always existed.

The part I am dissatisfied with is at which point did it start to create and why? What was the trigger for creation? Self-awareness? If so, how did the realisation of self-awareness come about?

These are some of the questions that prevent me from sharing your views.
edit on 15/11/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

The part I am dissatisfied with is at which point did it start to create and why? What was the trigger for creation? Self-awareness? If so, how did the realisation of self-awareness come about.

Time is conceputal idea. There is no real thing as time other than a way for the human mind to associate itself with experiences of past, now and into the future. The creation of existance and is occuring right now, people are born and it occurs because of a mysterious force that allows biological prints moulds of human form to be made. The trigger for human beings becoming self aware thinking creatures was conceptual thought.

edit on 16-11-2012 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Time is conceputal idea. There is no real thing as time other than a way for the human mind to associate itself with experiences of past, now and into the future. The creation of existance and is occuring right now, people are born and it occurs because of a mysterious force that allows biological prints moulds of human form to be made. The trigger for human beings becoming self aware thinking creatures was conceptual thought.

This is what I want to know, as I'm sure you do as well, what is this "mysterious force"?

When examining the nature of the origin of existence, it's unhelpful for there to be parts of the theory that come down to the unknown. You did acknowledge before that there are parts of the theory that one cannot know for sure, for me this is a significant part when it comes to accepting the theory.
edit on 16/11/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Theres no way to describe the nature of it. We know it exists and thats all we can know about its nature.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Was just reading over your opening post and it occurred to me that you should really differentiate between Consciousness as a metaphysical entity and the Collective Consciousness of Humans. The second one seems to have only come about after two or more humans began to exist. This begs the question: is the idea of a collective consciousness shared by more than one type of being possible for non-humans (and higher life forms if they exist)?

Do you believe there is a separate Consciousness for animals and other creatures, or do all living (and non-living things according to you) share the same one? After all, it is reasonable to conclude that various non-human sentiment animals have a mind that is similar in function to humans.

(I apologise if my wording is a little confusing, this topic can get rather complicated.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join