It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soviet competitors to B-2.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
In Soviet union/Russia there were two projects of flying wing, similar to Northrop B-2. First of them, a low key development Tupolev Tu-180 evidimka, was a direct rival to B-2. Project was abadoned not for financial easons (as was usual in Soviet union), but for technical problems. Soviets id not have any relevant experience with flying wing shaped aircrafts and hey turned attencion on much perspective projects as Suchoj T-60S or MiG izdeje 3.01

The second, Myasishchev M-67 `Kreiser` (Cruiser) was a flying wing spy high altitude aircraft. It was a part of big project M-67 developed by yasishchev Design Bureau by order of Ministry of Deffence as a respond to USA SDI (Strategic Deffence Initiative) programme. Flying wing was only one of the concepts, there were proposed also non stealthy or unmanned planes. Typical mission included fly on high altitudes up to 20 km with 10-15 crew members up to 8 hours. This heavy type aircraft has high echnology optical equipment on board and was able to locate quickly target and to transfer necessary info about subject immediately. It�s shape was optimized for high altitudes rather than low observability

For more unusual planes see my web at: www.hitechweb.szm.sk/pi.htm

[edit on 21-10-2004 by matej]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Good find matej,

I have seen some intersting Soviet era designs, but I did not know that they had developed any or tried to at any rate flying wings. I wonder if they did get any of the Horten brothers projects during WWII. maybe the allies got all of thier wings.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Been done in the past on the Tu-180.
Maybe this will be of some assistance or be further aid to the discussions that may take place on this matter:
russian B2??? what in the...

As has the Blackjack, T-4/S-100, etc.

Good find on the M-67 though.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Excellent find! I had no idea but it does not surprise me, them Russians have damn good engineering.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The Tu 180 is a fake. It is a doctored photograph of a Tu-160 that was published as an April Fools joke 8 years ago. It doesn't matter how much you search that is the only photograpph you wilol find. The reason being that it is the only one in existence as it was a hoax.

The original article, the April Fools one, stated that Tupolev itself had just 'revealed' its latest bomber. If they had I think we would be seeing more than just the one grainy photo in 8 years.

As for the Myasischev one, I've never heard of it before but as its a model I'll reserve judgement.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:13 AM
link   
It is true that picture that is here is a fake. Because that I added the description, that it is a collage [or ilustration]. For example you can see very big gear in a very thin wing. But the project Tu-180 was real but it ended before something should be build. The exact shape of the aircraft [as a 3 view] can not be published yet, because it is still secret. It is only known, that Tu-180 proposal had greater wingspan and maximal take off weight in comparison to B-2.

I wrote in original article that Tu-180 and M-67 were only projects. Soviets did not build any real flying wing after WW2!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
"Myasishchev"

- Wow, it's been a long long time since I've seen that name cited anywhere.

But why would that design bureau/company be doing anything new anyway?

Beyond the relatively few M4 (Bison) four jet bombers they made, the still-born single example of the M50/52 (Bounder) and the handful of high altitude research M17/55 planes they haven't had any experience in a large miltary project for over 40yrs!

Sorry but this sounds like fantasy to me.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   

But the project Tu-180 was real but it ended before something should be build.

I knew this was an April Fools joke from years ago, I was assured by someone on a different message board that it was a real programme that the photo had merely been mocked up to illustrate (after I pointed out how it was a Tu-160 photo, before that they were crowing about how marvellous an aeroplane it was). I googled and Yahood "Tupolev Tu-180" and guess what I got? Zip, other than this picture and article or references to it!

I then decided to tackle the actual Tupolev website, the official one as used by all manufacturers to brag about how clever they are, Not a sausage. IT IS NOT REAL.

[edit on 22-10-2004 by waynos]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
just posting to make sure my signature works

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
hello?
still trying to make my signature work

top topics

join