It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous changes on earth: New huge land cracks. This time in Spain

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
Just a side note, from notes I made years ago, volcanic activity has gone up 300% in the last 2,000 years, I presume the activity is still rising?

If you're right, how do you explain the Global Warning?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

By sucking or extracting the water from the ground, the soil gets porous, less dens and more 'air pockets' are formed in some areas, that the slightest movement( by drilling or a small quake) could lead to a larger slide or EQ in this case. That's why the damage was very local and not spread a 100km from the epicentre?

Basically the soil structure collapses, but I don't think we are talking about soil in the case of Lorca. Think of a thick skin on a bowl of custard. Stick a straw through it and suck out some of the custard underneath (not a perfect example but) the skin would sag and eventually crack.

This is in effect what happens when you drain the aquifers. It happened under London and they had to reduce the amount of artesian water being pumped as the buildings were sinking.

There are artesian wells in Cella, Teruel, and Aragón in Spain, but I don't know how that relates to the area under discussion but having said that any extraction either by natural artesian supply or by pumping will have similar effects.

Without this drainage it would eventualy happen naturaly, it would only take more time.
Because it happened this way, could it be the reason why there were not many aftershocks recorded? Because it wasn't a build up of pressure? Like we saw in Italy, where there are aftershocks up till today.

Theoretically at least if there was no extraction there would be no earthquake as the system would be balanced.

Could it be that after the flooding in September the ground pushed some of the soil in it's former position and making it 'weak' that when it dried in October the ground began collapsing and making these cracks?
So i'm suggesting it's not the ground that is opening but rather collapsing. Or is it just like you see when the ground top layers are splitting because of the heat?

I have to say that I am not familiar with the geology of the area and I have been unable to procure a detailed geological map without paying through the nose for it BUT in my opinion these cracks are way too big to be caused by soaking and drying. These are more akin to my mind to aquifer collapse but I may be wrong.

Also i'm wondering what measures they are taking to prevent this in the future. The region is known to be dry and famous for it's olive and orange(citric fruits) plantations. They need the water and the south is getting drier every year.

There is only one measure. Stop extracting water. It is a tough decision for those living in the area.

And the cracks on the Canary islands have nothing to do with the ones in Murcia, but it's rather the caused by the recent volcano activity? Are there any faults connected or close by between these two regions?

As I said I have been unable to find a fault map for Spain, but I know there are some. The Canaries are a 'hot-spot' like Hawaii so I doubt if they are connected.

edit on 16/11/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
it all over there this link tells a bout a pole shift poleshift.ning.com...
all the plates are on the move its a pretty inresting sit has alot info

Viet Nam: Serious Land subsidence m Dong province- Length; 656ft, Width; 66ft, Depth; 23~33ft
Indonesia: Land Cracks in Ciamis- The area had cracked already reached about five acres.CIAMIS, KOMPAS.com - A number of residents of Kampung Sangkan Onions RT 18/08, Village Kalijati, District Sidamulih, Ciamis, fled after soil cracks that occurred Tuesday (11/13/2012) and then, continues to expand, Wednesday (11/14 / 2012). Cracks due to land four houses devastated. Damaged houses, belonging Rasmudi, Karsimah, Suryadi and Ili.

"The area had cracked already reached about five acres. Kalijati road section that connects to the block Sangkan Kersaratu Onions also ambles about 15 centimeters along the 75 meter," said village chief Kalijati, Rahman Setiadi, via telephone on Wednesday.

According to Rahman, the ground cracks are known to occur approximately at 02.00. "And at that time there was no rain. But suddenly people felt the ground shook, the floor and walls of houses were cracked.

"Watching it, people were running out of the house. However, outside, they also witnessed his yard was cracked," said Rahman.

Cracks land should not only make the home page and floor-4 belonging to the victim cleavage-cleavage, but the gardens and fields around settlements such as torn-torn.

"What happened is not landslide, but the soil cracks. Sobek. Rengkahannya wide there are up to 30 cm with a length of tens of meters. Till today cracked soil continues. We worry that rain will occur landslide. Though the subject area locations cracks a flat stretch of land, this land is in a stretch waist cliff, "he said.

Four houses were severely damaged, said Kades, occupied five families, or 12 people. "The most severe and Karsimah Rasmudi owned homes, has been shattered, was uninhabitable. While Suryadi and Ili's house, still standing but the floor, the courtyard and the walls are cracked-cleavage. Just waiting to collapse. The residents had fled to the home brother respectively, "said Rahman.

Yesterday, even though the road connecting the village Kalijati-Kersaratu vanish, the county's roads still impassable cars and motorcycles. "However, we are very concerned section of road that collapsed is deepening. If that happens, the relationship Kalijati-Cikembulan traffic (highway Pangandaran) can be broken," he said. (Sta)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Okay, ignored. But did you know that December 24th is 38 days away.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
This is pretty interesting.
We had a crack form, here in UP MI, in the US a few years ago, and I'm not sure that they figured out what caused that either, although it is no where near as big as that one.

I think the earth is just changing. We are just going to have to deal with it.

Is that a significant one? Like something to see? Going to the UP for Thanksgiving, if its something along our route, I'd love to give it a gander.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

one of them is explained in the article you link - do people read the articles any more ?

i make no appologies for being snarky - when such mundane incidents are portrayed as " mysterious " - when they are patently not

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
looks like in most of those areas they could use some trees. Trees help to keep the water level higher and the ground moist.

a little perma-culture goes a long way in helping in many areas including weather and water.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Watch how the AGW camp will blame CO2 on this one too...

Anyway, good thread. thanks for showing us this. Perhaps, in time people will realize the real changes that are happening on Earth.
edit on 17-11-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join