It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

What say you ATS? Do you think it's right to make restaurant servers collect this surcharge personally from each customer and deal with their complaints, most likely loosing a good portion of what would have been tipped to them for their good service. Or do you think that the restaurants in question should raise their prices to reflect their rising costs?

Hell Yes I do agree. it's his Right as a business owner to run his business as he sees fit. He's already said the servers ( who collect thew tips) have to share those tips with everyone else, so your wrong about that in your Op. The government is FORCING an unjustified "tax" on him and his business. He has to be able to pay for it without hurting his profits or he cant stay in business. This doesn't necessarily mean it will hurt the servers or anyone else's tips. We don't know exactly how this money is split up at his business and who how much they make. Many of those who get tips depending on the restaurant come home with more money after taxes than minimum wage earners. I know this, my wife was a server.

I see this as someone fed up with big government doing the only thing he can to fight back at a corrupt system. Something's got to give someplace.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by NavyDoc

To answer your question, neither. The government should not have mandated anything on the employer. I'm surprised so many people think that if only the government mandates things, things happen without any cost or effort.

Great! So the restaurant owner should neither add the cost as an itemization, nor should he raise menu prices, because the government shouldn't have mandated the ACA in the first place.

M'kay, thanks for playing.

Nope, just pointnig out the TRUE underlying cause of the problem. Bitch about the restaurant owner all you want, but we all know who caused the problem in the first place. WIthout the government mandate, this would not even be an issue.

M'kay, thanks for playing.

The TRUE underlying cause is that not everybody can afford to see a doctor, Dr.

Like tens of millions of people, Dr.

So Bitch about the mandate all you want, but there wouldn't be a mandate if there wasn't a problem.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

EVERYONE is going to have to chip in to make this a reality. I pay 30% of my gross pay to taxes, about 800$ every 2 weeks, but I don't complain. My brother just had massive brain surgery in Eastern Canada (free, btw) which would have cost 380k in the U.S, so I don't mind paying my cut.

One might think that humans would have evolved beyond the primal animal behavior of: "Survival of the Fittest" - - - in other words ME ME ME - - Screw You.

Obviously Not.

Not in this crowd.

When they die off, the youth will make better choices than these idiot, selfish pig dinosaurs.

Not soon enough...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thepump

EVERYONE is going to have to chip in to make this a reality. I pay 30% of my gross pay to taxes, about 800$ every 2 weeks, but I don't complain. My brother just had massive brain surgery in Eastern Canada (free, btw) which would have cost 380k in the U.S, so I don't mind paying my cut.

One might think that humans would have evolved beyond the primal animal behavior of: "Survival of the Fittest" - - - in other words ME ME ME - - Screw You.

Obviously Not.

Not in this crowd.

When they die off, the youth will make better choices than these idiot, selfish pig dinosaurs.

Not soon enough...

When we "dino's" die off, who'll pay for the youngsters "choices"?

If people as a whole made better choices then we wouldn't need the government to step in and act as a nanny.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Society pays for it anyways...

Now its time for society to grow up and realize healthcare is a fundamental right.

Then we can all pay for it, like roads, gas lines, telephone poles, Stealth Bombers and the MILITARY.

Unless you should grow up and fund your own military service and healthcare.

Healthcare is not a right. You cannot have a right others are forced to subsidize.

This is common sense. See anything in the Constitution about healthcare? Unless you contend that they didnt have doctors who were paid for treatment in the late 1700's, your argument is 100% wrong, both in logic and in a historical sense.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Obviously Not.

Not in this crowd.

Not soon enough...

When we "dino's" die off, who'll pay for the youngsters "choices"?

If people as a whole made better choices then we wouldn't need the government to step in and act as a nanny.

The better choice is going to be eliminating healthcare for profit.

And PS; we are still paying for Ronald Reagan and your fake ass "conservatism"

We are still paying interest on the 1980's

You guys are also senile

Early onset

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

Society pays for it anyways... Now its time for society to grow up and realize healthcare is a fundamental right. Then we can all pay for it, like roads, gas lines, telephone poles, Stealth Bombers and the MILITARY. Unless you should grow up and fund your own military service and healthcare.

Want to try again?

A corporate product healthcare is not a human right it is a corporate product just like everything some people deem to be "rights".

That has a created the current state of the union were those who beleive in that fundamental right where more people are taking out of that system than return to it./

Roads,gas lines,bridges are what property taxes are paid for, just like what state incomes tax pay for, what lotteries pay for,

They are the responsibility of those states themselves not someone elses who does not live there or will ever use them.

So yeah It is time for people to grow up and stop thinking they are the center of the universe and have their existence paid for by others.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreebirdGirl

I disagree. The reason it is a news story is utility workers make a lot more than $2.13 an hour. Servers and bartenders make $2.13 an hour from their employers. Thr rest of their salary is based on tips. At most companies they must pay a percentage of their sales to others ( bussers,hosts and bartenders) out of their tip money. They are also taxed on sales not their actual tips. Big difference from knowing you are making $10-30 an hour guaranteed. So in essence the tipped employee will suffer. The op explained this.
edit on 15-11-2012 by FreebirdGirl because: (no reason given)

I'm only passingly familiar with the pay structure of waitstaff, I've always thought it was unfair, but I don't see why it makes a difference. For me, I tip based on the service I receive. Good service, good tip; sub-par service, sub-par tip. If I have a problem with an establishment's policies, I just don't go there. I'm not going to go to a business that has a policy I don't like and take it out on the waitstaff. For instance, for reasons that are off-topic here, I won't do business with Verizon or McDonalds. I won't get a Verizon phone and then harass their customer support line. I won't get a Happy Meal just to berate the cashier.

If people don't like what this guy is doing, they can choose to go elsewhere, and all the employees will take the hit. But I don't see why. This guy is just doing what every other business is going to do. He is just being demonized for being honest and up front about it

Just wanted to add, the primary benefactors of Obamacare are the insurance companies. I hope everyone complains just as loudly when they raise everyone's premiums.
edit on 15-11-2012 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

You guys are also senile

Early onset

And who is supposed to pay for this "right"?

Oh yeah, just those of us who work and make money.

Entitlement minded is no way to go through life.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Now its time for society to grow up and realize healthcare is a fundamental right.

B.S. !

I take it " is a fundamental right" to mean everyone has an exclusive right to this health care and it should be free or dirt cheap.

That ONLY works in a society with such a structure that allows it to happen without anyone incurring the bills or having to pay extra money for it. This U.S. Government and our Republic society is Not set up for this.

Sure it would be Great if it could be done. Everyone was cared for, no one got cancer from all the chemicals government is allowing in our foods, or poisoned by the pharmaceuticals government shoves down our throats etc. The structure of capitalism in America doesn't allow for this. The U.S. Constitution doesn't allow for this. Wanting something so great, so noble is good, strive for it, but don't force it on a system that cannot handle it as it's presently designed. you either have to change your system of government or change the healthcare system - or both.

Obamacare as such will never work. it will cause way more problems than it will solve. Look to other countries that have a similar system and see the problems they are having.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Typical shoot from the hip whining republican. It's a sure way to lose customers considering an average 20 percent tip is like paying for another person in your dinner party. It's bad enough these restaurant owners are too cheap to pay their waitress or waiters a decent wage, now they're going to add a surcharge.

When you consider a spaghetti dinner is probably the least expensive dinner to create for a restaurant owner, some restaurants will charge anywhere from $10.00 - $14.00 for it. I'm sure more than 3/4 of that cost is nothing but profit. Considering customers are paying the majority of a waiter, waitress, or bartenders paycheck, maybe it's about time they start taking responsibility for their workers instead of pushing it onto the customer.

My son's girlfriend's parents own a franchise of a well know restaurant chain. Believe me, paying a small percentage toward their employees healthcare isn't going to break the bank.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

You guys are also senile

Early onset

And who is supposed to pay for this "right"?

Oh yeah, just those of us who work and make money.

Entitlement minded is no way to go through life.

Oh yes, you are the only person who works in the world.

This is you guys when you let your guard down.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

Who made the choice to be a server?
Wasn't me.
I am not there to carry your load in life.
Time to be an adult and make decisions accordingly.

It is sad for those that have lost their jobs. But, it is not my burden to bare.

What burden are you speaking of?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
Typical shoot from the hip whining republican. It's a sure way to lose customers considering an average 20 percent tip is like paying for another person in your dinner party. It's bad enough these restaurant owners are too cheap to pay their waitress or waiters a decent wage, now they're going to add a surcharge.

When you consider a spaghetti dinner is probably the least expensive dinner to create for a restaurant owner, some restaurants will charge anywhere from $10.00 - $14.00 for it. I'm sure more than 3/4 of that cost is nothing but profit. Considering customers are paying the majority of a waiter, waitress, or bartenders paycheck, maybe it's about time they start taking responsibility for their workers instead of pushing it onto the customer.

My son's girlfriend's parents own a franchise of a well know restaurant chain. Believe me, paying a small percentage toward their employees healthcare isn't going to break the bank.

You clearly have no clue about owning a restaurant. There are things called costs.

These costs include food cost, the labor cost for the line cooks, the prep cooks, etc etc. Then you have your standard overhead such as gas to fuel the stoves/ovens, water, insurance, lease/mortgage, electricity, the list goes on and on.

If you want servers/bussers/bartenders to be paid a "decent wage" (whatever the hell you think that is), you would see prices go up enough for you to then whine that prices are way too high.

Only a fool comments on something they know nothing about. You just proved that .

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

B.S. !

I take it " is a fundamental right" to mean everyone has an exclusive right to this health care and it should be free or dirt cheap.

That ONLY works in a society with such a structure that allows it to happen without anyone incurring the bills or having to pay extra money for it. This U.S. Government and our Republic society is Not set up for this.

Sure it would be Great if it could be done. Everyone was cared for, no one got cancer from all the chemicals government is allowing in our foods, or poisoned by the pharmaceuticals government shoves down our throats etc. The structure of capitalism in America doesn't allow for this. The U.S. Constitution doesn't allow for this. Wanting something so great, so noble is good, strive for it, but don't force it on a system that cannot handle it as it's presently designed. you either have to change your system of government or change the healthcare system - or both.

Obamacare as such will never work. it will cause way more problems than it will solve. Look to other countries that have a similar system and see the problems they are having.

The only reason it won't work is because people fit it and don't believe in it.

People in the 1800's use to say ending slavery would destroy America... Same with segregation
and suffrage.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

Next we is to implement universal healthcare, then your senility will kick in (again) and you will forget who paid for what, just like you stopped keeping track of who paid for the pavement on your street.

The federal government did not "pave my street".

So tell me since SS,medicare,medicaid can already be not paid for and has never been solvent what makes people think universal healthcare will ever be able to pay for itself?

16 trillion dollars in deficit right now current federal spending is 2.5 trillion dollars, with another trillion being borrow from other countries.

Who pays for it?

Those who are using for programs sure the hell are not hence the never ending tax the rich stupidity.

Rinse and repeat typical failed ideology that offers no solutions except taking from the so call greedy to the needy.

And all that grand ideal has never once been paid for.
edit on 15-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

And have you priced heath insurance lately? 24 years ago, I was paying $500 a month for a family of 3. Now, many folks pay this amount as just a SMALL SHARE of the expense.

The average annual premiums in 2012 are $5,615 for single coverage and $15,745 for family coverage.

Kaiser Family

Multiply the anticipated average dollar amount per employee by the number of employees for each restaurant. I figured out the dollar amount to be the lower number times 2 (husband and wife coverage at $11.239 per year) Now on a busy shift, I see at least 8 employees. So this would be perhaps 24 employees then? So take my guestimated average rate and multiply by 24 and you get $269,520 per year. (With the potential to be as high as $377,880 per year.) Divide this by 366 days, and you get $736 per day. So at 5% the restaurant would have to take in $14,747 per day to cover expenses. With an ave check amount of $10 they would have to have 1475 customers a day to cover this Most family style restaurants would be doing a happy dance to have this much business.

This brings up another point. If you were a business owner, would you hire a family man/woman vs. a single? This Obamacare is going to wreck havoc all around in ways folks haven't even thought of yet.

edit on 15-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join