Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

Of course its, around that. People never realize they are taxed both ways, when they earn it and when they spend it.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

There is the real issue. A society that believes that the Owner and/or Boss is no different then the Worker.
They are different.

Shouted the plantation owner!! ...Sorry, couldn't resist.

More to the point is the is nature of the difference. Is a waiter or cook less deserving of getting treated for cancer than the business owner?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Any business or business owner will pass along any costs to the consumer that they can. This owner at least chose to tell you why he is raising his prices, most don't.

Put it this way, if you own a Trucking company and the cost of Diesel shoots up by $1.00, you are raising your freight rates.......how is this any different? When the government puts a new financial burden on a business, be it taxes, regulations, fees ect, they will pass that tax along to the consumer. Been that way forever. Tanning stores got hit with the tanning 10% surcharge "tax"....did the owners absorb that cost? No, they passed it along to the consumer. EVIL TANNING STORES!!!

He will be in a better financial situation than other restaurants that don't up their prices to cover increased costs. Just basic business.

I guess you only really appreciate it if you are the one writing the checks out...........otherwise you are a "rich bastard" as some say here.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

But technically, he isn't passing along to the customer. He's openly giving them the option out, by suggesting that the customer withhold a tip from the server.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

As person who worked in the industry for nearly 20 years I can tell you that if you're running an 8-10% profit margin, you are doing it wrong.

I consistently ran a 28% margin and did so with my employees having health insurance and reasonable pay.

~Heff

You can potentially do that if you own the property. Most restaurants do not. And I've never been one to use the exception to define the rule, that's a fallacy. So will you respond to my post?
edit on 15-11-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

As person who worked in the industry for nearly 20 years I can tell you that if you're running an 8-10% profit margin, you are doing it wrong.

I consistently ran a 28% margin and did so with my employees having health insurance and reasonable pay.

~Heff

In a healthy economy, perhaps.

But our current economic status may best be described as anemic.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

There is the real issue. A society that believes that the Owner and/or Boss is no different then the Worker.
They are different.

Shouted the plantation owner!! ...Sorry, couldn't resist.

More to the point is the is nature of the difference. Is a waiter or cook less deserving of getting treated for cancer than the business owner?

Oh good hell, the slave minded will never leave the plantation.

Who owns the business?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Actually I agree 100% with this tactic. And I don't think it makes him look like a moron. It is a statement that needs to be made although it is too late. But perhaps it is good medicine for those that expect something for nothing. Yes they could have just raised the prices or dropped employee hours. But folks really do need to see how this new "hidden tax" will affect them.

There is nothing in life that is truly free. That health insurance money has to come from somewhere and not thin air. I truly don't feel that the folks that were bribed with this Obamacare truly understand that they will be poorer as a result. So for them? It may mean not eating out once in a while. Or buying a new pair of shoes. Selling their car since gas is out of the question. Perhaps even spiraling them deeper into poverty. But hey they will be healthy and have cell service, although homeless. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

The economy is going to suffer big time. You don’t hit up a depressed economy with something this major. In fact, you just don't make such major changes to anything that affects so many people without carefully examining the repercussions. Obama jumped head first into this. Not good... Not good at all... Hold on to your hats folks. Obama will come down as the biggest dunce in the history of the US.

Me? I have a good job and a college degree and had the wisdom to vote for Romney to get us out of this mess. So I will now just sit back and watch the poor hitting the streets in record numbers. Folks dug their own grave, I tried to help...
edit on 15-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
So no matter what:

business owners are always greedy evil people.

No matter what!

Meh

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I GUESS Papa John is doing the SAME THING!!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
So no matter what:

No matter what!

Meh

Huh?...I own two business...And I think this guy is STUPID, not evil...Greedy? Maybe, maybe not...not sure, but this wasn't a business decision, it was an idealogical one...and a very stupid one IMO.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Who owns the business?

Indigo5

link   
reply to post by Indigo5

So?

As if every business operates the same or has the same input costs, compound that with geographic area where the cost of living-the cost of doing business is not even close to being the same from east coast to west coast.

link   
It'll be interesting to see what people will do.

Remember Chick-fill-A?

People do "vote" with their wallets.

link   
He can do whatever he wants. It is his business. I hope his food is good and the service is decent...most people will not groan about it and still pay the normal gratuity to the server anyway.

I didn't want Obamacare either, but apparently for a completely different reason than most. For me, it was not about the money...it was all about the Government telling me I HAD to buy something...THAT is what I personally have a problem with...not only that, it assures the medical insurance providers will be successful and the premiums will continue to flow up to their backers...you know...the securities on Wall Street....yeah.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

So, do tell. How will you recover the rise in overhead and operational costs as taxes increase, material prices go up, Govt fees creep and customers fade?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
There is no "one" receipt, I operate off P&L statements, every week. Each are hidden.

For example, I file each month with the State Comptroller for LBW tax, once a year for State Franchise. Once a quarter for State sales taxes. I file each payroll period OSDI, SS, Medicare and Medicare. I file Annual Federal tax, as well as claims tax, federal gains tax on valuation. Also I pay into unemployment insurance (UI). What gets me, is I am taxed, away from the " Cafeteria Plan"...on paying 1/4 of health insurance on my full time employees. All the perks I pay for great employees/managers....I pay tax on.

On top of that, commercial rates for utilities are triple residential, I pay tax there, a lot. I pay tax on processing of credit cards 1.1% and additional fee of 2.1% to process each transaction. I pay taxes on claimed tips for employees, which are now 100% of 15% of sales. The Quatter's formula is no longer used.

When I go to the store, I pay tax, go to the pump, pay tax, renew my registrations for cars, pay tax. My home, pay tax. Write my own check...pay tax. It is endless.

Go to the TABC site in Texas, look at the tax requirements. Go to the Texas State Comptroller for their requirements...it's the same in many States. If you have time, read through the Federal Tax Code....all of it is insane. A decade ago I opened my first, in 2013 I will close all of the locations.

MG

link   
Then this guy is in the restaurant business which means food:

Which there was a drought, then there was the care act, then there is all the talk of new taxes being levied.

Grain prices have soard the past few years, so has fuel which makes everything more expensive at the same time the continued devaluation of the dollar.

Which means the dollar buys less than it does each and every day.

link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Again, instead of deflecting, why not just answer the question.

I will try again. Who owns the business?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

So?

As if every business operates the same or has the same input costs, compound that with geographic area where the cost of living-the cost of doing business is not even close to being the same from east coast to west coast.

Right...So WTF were you talking about?

So no matter what:

No matter what!

Meh

No...Not ALL business owners are ALWAYS greedy evil people...

But some are...Is this guy those things? I don't know...don't really care...I know he is stupid. I have eaten at his restuarants before...but will not again and I am sure I am not the only one. I am also certain he has business associates reading these headlines and re-thinking thier association with him...All partisanship aside...it was a dumb decision.

Stupid is about the only thing I can tag this guy with...greedy? evil? Don't know him, don't care.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join