It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Restaurants Net-Net, depending on many other factors, the range of 8-17%. Maybe.

Already taxed, I'll use Texas for example. 17.5% of Liquor, beer and wine sales not allowed to show in your bill as a "sales tax", due every month on the 20th. 8.25% of food sales due every quarter.

Labor, don't forget about matching Social Security at 7 1/8% of wages, depending on 1099 or W2, etc. A 1% franchise tax, whether you make money or not...of you Net sales. 10k per million in sales! On top of taxes that are paid on all utilities, PPE and property taxes etc.

Add another projected 8-10%, does not make sense to stay in business.

I see where these guys are going, it is to bring this to the front out of protest. I can say, personally. The government makes more out of my businesses than I do. We are taxed to death, now more 'fees'. Other's I have spoken to most likely will close and take the short-term loss and write it off.

MG

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Who needs community? It has been replaced with the all seeing and all reaching centralized Fed Govt.

And what about all those companies that ARE laying people off due to the election? Just spasms or are they real?
The market suggests they are very much real, along with mass sell offs as well.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

So in regards to restaurants, please explain how an 8-10% profit margin is a 'lionshare'. Should the owner have 2-4¢ per dollar instead of 8-10¢?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'd say share the surcharge with the bartenders, i've known some bartenders who make more money than strippers on their busiest nights.

Yeah it's class warfare, and this guy is a greedy turd and he is setting an example others will follow, in effect screwing the very people Obamacare is targetting because those Obamacare premiums are $2500 and those servers would still be getting screwed if they take the $300 fine for opting out. But if you don't have health coverage and need it, something is better than nothing, like me for example, whom cannot get health coverage because i've had to have several major surgeries and currently get denied for pre-existing conditions that i was born with.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by missed_gear

Now, imagine if we had one of those Fed Income Tax holidays people always whisper about.
Or, as more and more people go 1099, that they become more and more aware just how much money is sucked out of the American Workers pockets by the Govt.

The Govt has a win win. They take the money with no real risk, and hand it out like Santa Clause every month.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

So, because you are not able to get insured, you are denied health care?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Just the first of a multitude of businesses that'll pass the extra charges (thanks ACA) to the customer.

All it takes is one dominoe.

And we take the fall.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Lion's share?

Read the post, already taxed by a "Lion's Share"....I am taxed to death. An ADDITIONAL 8-10%, of net. Will put many to the zero mark on profit.

Would you stay in business, put your credit up, invest your money, take the risk? for ZERO profit.....and pay all the taxes.

I am in business to make money, not provide for the government that can not balance their own books. I have to, otherwise I go out of business.

1st order of business is to cut costs....that means labor. No getting around that. Charge more, that means inflation, or just hang it up. 8-10%, that is the window.

MG

MG

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yep.

And that Avatar is by far the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by beezzer

Yep.

And that Avatar is by far the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

I'm beautiful,

Thanks to ACA.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Dude, that was wrong.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

This particular case, however, strikes me more along the lines of a temper tantrum - right up there with the folks who threatened to downsize if Obama was elected. Personally speaking, I love wings - but I would NOT buy them from this person because I do not, at all, appreciate their apparent attempt to punish other Americans for their voting choices.

Whatever happened to sense of community anyway?

~Heff

I sometime ponder how the near financial collapse "outed" most of the crooks and scam artists that up until that peak crisis point had swam undetected amongst the honest capitalists. Bernie Madoff and the thousand other little Madoffs...faking thier deaths, running for Mexico ad nuaseum as they were exposed.

How crisis exposes the nature of people..and that is good thing in the larger context. One of the few silver linings of the economic crisis. It is better to know who the crooks are than to have them undetected and stealing hand over fist.

I think the "culture war"...the division funded by idealogues...is reaching a similair pinnacle in America and the re-election of President Obama has pushed the idealogical extremists to the point where they can no longer maintain a facade of caring about "community" as you put it, For many...thier darwinian nature is raw and visible.

It is as it should be. Consumers can make a better choice and ironically free-market capitalism will punish or reward those business leaders that choose to make political statements through action and words and thus wed thier success to thier partisan idealogy. Foolish business decision (left or right) in my opinion, but good for all of us to know better what idealogies our purchases might be funding.
edit on 15-11-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Please go back to the fluffy bunny you been a good sport and the bet has been satisfied,

No one will think less if you do.

IF the government seen how many times you have changed that avatar, and levied a tax on it, and you had some employees, they'd want to unionize it levy taxes and make you pay for someone's healthcare where as you have to offset the cost by pass the cost on to the viewer.

So please Go back to the Beezer we all know.
edit on 15-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

"Near financial collapse"????? You are kidding right?

You speak of it as if it has been diverted and not actually taking place right now. Today.
It is coming, as Govt will continue to crush people and their pocketbooks.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This guy is a selfish pig. Not because he is a business owner but because he seperates himself from his employees. I am sure he can pay his health premiums but he does not care if his employees can do the same.
If one of these business owner would pull out their profit and loss statement and actually show how the healthcare law hurts their ability to maintain their lifestyle I would have sympathy for them. But to make your employees assume all the costs( healthcare,wage stagnation) and risks(right to work states, quality of life) at your gain is evil. It seems business are so use to entitlements they are unwilling to give. One question how does this 5% of sales work when it exceeds what healthcare premiums would have costs? Does the owner pocket the excess as profit?

edit on 15-11-2012 by FreebirdGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by missed_gear

Now, imagine if we had one of those Fed Income Tax holidays people always whisper about.
Or, as more and more people go 1099, that they become more and more aware just how much money is sucked out of the American Workers pockets by the Govt.

The Govt has a win win. They take the money with no real risk, and hand it out like Santa Clause every month.

Hey.. who said votes were cheap?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreebirdGirl
This guy is a selfish pig. Not because he is a business owner but because he seperates himself from his employees. I am sure he can pay his health premiums but he does not care if his employees can do the same.
If one of these business owner would pull out their profit and loss statement and actually show how the healthcare law impants their ability to maintain their lifestyle I would have sympathy for them. But to make your employees assume all the costs( healthcare,wage stagnation) and risks(right to work states, quality of life) at your gain is evil. It seems business are so use to entitlements they are unwilling to give. One question how does this 5% of sales work when it exceeds what healthcare premiums would have costs? Does the owner pocket the excess as profit?

Alright fair enough, please explain then where this extra 5-10% operating cost is going to come from if not passed along to the consumer.
edit on 15-11-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

Um, they are different.
He is the owner. He has taken HIS own time to build HIS business.
The worker did not build the business for him, did not take chances on starting it. You don't know what he had to leverage to build it.

There is the real issue. A society that believes that the Owner and/or Boss is no different then the Worker.
They are different.

And I do believe he touched on his profit margin for the restaurants.
You are just stomping feet mad because he is passing the wonderful charges of 0bamacare to those that want 0bamacare.

Well, if you want it, then pay for it. Instead of looking to others to foot the bill.

That is really all this boils down to. Some here are mad because the Owner is not wanting to pay for the choices of others.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by missed_gear
Restaurants Net-Net, depending on many other factors, the range of 8-17%. Maybe.

Already taxed, I'll use Texas for example. 17.5% of Liquor, beer and wine sales not allowed to show in your bill as a "sales tax", due every month on the 20th. 8.25% of food sales due every quarter.

Labor, don't forget about matching Social Security at 7 1/8% of wages, depending on 1099 or W2, etc. A 1% franchise tax, whether you make money or not...of you Net sales. 10k per million in sales! On top of taxes that are paid on all utilities, PPE and property taxes etc.

Add another projected 8-10%, does not make sense to stay in business.

I see where these guys are going, it is to bring this to the front out of protest. I can say, personally. The government makes more out of my businesses than I do. We are taxed to death, now more 'fees'. Other's I have spoken to most likely will close and take the short-term loss and write it off.

MG

I for one would love a reciept that showed all the embedded costs and taxes government lays upon business and think it would open some eyes to those who argue tax the companies! - never realizing they only serve to drive up consumer cost.

Heaven forbid someone could actually work out and realize that total tax load is somewhere around 60% of income for middle class - right now they think its 28% to 33% heh!

Its a wonder laws don't allow transparency. And no wonder that system educated see a problem with this business doing so.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

As person who worked in the industry for nearly 20 years I can tell you that if you're running an 8-10% profit margin, you are doing it wrong.

I consistently ran a 28% margin and did so with my employees having health insurance and reasonable pay.

~Heff

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join