It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
When it is state mandated that the receipt shows health coverage like it is there then I wouldn’t have a problem with it. If this guy had just raised the price to cover the cost like everyone else here then I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Wow, so you have no problem with the Govt levying fines/fees, just not private business?

You truly are comfortable with the Govt controlling more and more of life, huh?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

And those have nothing to do with right to work, but everything to do with owners acting in a criminal manner.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

In all the years since I owned my house, we luckily never had a house fire. Likewise, we were never victims of burglary or robbery. So I never really needed the fire department and the police department. According to your brilliant logic, it makes no sense for me to pay taxes that cover these services.

You did use the word "lucky" in your post, where you described how you were betting your health and avoid going to the doctors for more than a decade. I don't think it's a smart thing to, at all. And of course if your luck did run out, you could be a case study for that Ron Paul moment, where the audience cheered on the idea that they pull the plug on your life support since it was solely your choice to not get any insurance at all. I wonder what tune you would sing then.

edit on 19-11-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation
reply to post by windword

Been offline since Friday evening, just in case you mistakenly believed that you would get away with that load of drivel of a response.

Hey, just because some of you have fallen for his health care scam that is all about making the Government rich and the foolish misled Sheople even more poor than they were before, doesn't mean everyone has. I thought you guys cared about the poor? LMAO!!!

This health care "scam" has been going on long before Obama came into office. You can thank the HMOs and big pharma for that! The Affordable Care Act is an equalizer.

What, you actually believe that imposed fines that are not payed will not have a result? Did you bump your leftist head, are you kidding me? What would be the point then! = Stuck on dumb dumb.

Now, Think about this for a minute, and try really hard to keep an open mind while slobbering over your herO Obama. When I was younger during my 20's, I actually went 11 years without even going to a doctor. I was healthy, and I took care of myself. Maybe a little lucky by not getting a disease or injured in a car accident. Nevertheless, there were millions of us out there, trust me on that.

Sure I got the flu, but I allowed my immune system to do what it was made to do instead of weakening it with anti-biotics or poisoning it with the flue shot. That way, The drug companies didn't make any profit off of me, which was a great thing as well.

Hmmmmm, 11 years, Let's see, 11 x $3,000.00 a year? Well that's $33,000.00 dollars towards a corrupt Governments health care system that I don't even need. Yeah, I will pay as I go because that's what I did back then, no not now, but back then. Had I been required to pay $3,000 dollars a year back then, I would have lost $33,000 dollars instead of having it for college, a vehicle, for rent or for food. Maybe even a down payment on a home? Shakes head.

Oh, okay. You're one of those people who wants to wait and buy health insurance when you're old and or sick. Then you'll go screaming about how unfair it is that you're either denied, based on some precondition, or you premiums are through the roof. And that money that you saved by not having health insurance, your house and your car, all gone to pay the doctor bills!

This will only hold down the unfortunate even more so then they are already held down by their financial situation. The liars have done their work well by fooling these uneducated sheople who vote on nothing but their emotions. It's sad really, because they actually believe that Obama and the Democrats want to help them. That's the scam here. It's not about helping people, it's about more money and more power for the Federal government.

The point is, not that you will get it, is that some young people don't need health coverage at all. Some can pay as they go. Humans lived without health coverage for thousands of years, and I mean those who never needed it. There are millions of people that don't need it period unless they break an arm, then you can get them hooked on vicadin and make more profits, but not until then.

It's a fallacy that young people don't get sick. Young people also pay into Social Security and Medicare, and have for many decades. HOW UNFAIR! They may die before they get old and sick and never get to use it!

Clearly you don't get the "pool" concept of insurance.
edit on 19-11-2012 by windword because: grammer

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I have worked in the restaurant industry and can attest that the reason why the servers and bussers are not paid minium wage is that they are expected to "work it" like a strip club dancer employing many forms of sexual persuasions to get the tip.

Basically restaurants are "whoring" bussers and servers out.

If this wasn't true then why do bar tenders in the same restaurant make a minimum wage plus tips? The job is the same as both serve various types of food or beverages where the quality of the service of the restaurant first resides with the cook and second the server and busser who only support the over all experience.

If I were a busser or a server or hostess I would create unions that fight for their legal minimum wage that they should then be paid.

When pay is fair and equal then the rest of the economy benefits and thrives. But when a business owner creates faux pas drama to facilitate raising prices for poltiical reasons instead of coming out of pocket to offset the cost of a new health program the restaurant business owner will be seen by her or his employees as being a skim artist who is really only insterested in making money for theirselves and then making the rest of those below her or him pay for the offset just so they can be seen as higher art than thou.

If this restaurant owner was really that great of business man he would see Obama Care as a challenge to create new foods for his restaurant that would attract new customers thus allowing him ot expand his operations.

But since he has decided to fold on the challenges set forth by Obama Care and would rather charge his customers more then he will most likely see a loss in revenue and his businesses closing.

There is an old wrestling moto that I remember "Ordinary men rise to meet the challenge which makes them extroadinary leaders both in knowledge and intelligence"

The restaurant owner in this article has failed to meet the challenge and instead has decided to to wimp out and not expand his business with new and creative foods to create a new customer base.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by defcon5

And those have nothing to do with right to work, but everything to do with owners acting in a criminal manner.

The whole point being that they would not seek to get away with this sort of activity in any other state. They figure that here, they have folks so buffaloed that they can break the laws and get away with it. They use “at will” to keep their employees scared of losing their jobs, and silence them from speaking out against their abuses.

Perhaps you don't realize this, but the entire reason that this state is “at will” is so that both the Orange and Sugarcane growers can basically get away with using slave labor. If you think the exploitation of the Orange pickers is bad, you should really look into what was done to folks further south where they pick sugarcane.

$2.00/ton of sugarcane cut, fear of being sent back out of the US, a company store...Nothing short of slavery.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Ok, I see your statement of them doing so and raise you the fact that they are still violating the law, regardless of right to work state. I will also raise you again as to the crap that unions pull on nonunion workers.

It cuts both ways.
I am sure that there are unions in FL. Just because it is a right to work state, does not mean unions can't exist.
AS for the farmers? They shouldn't be employing illegals. Period.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

So the business is scaring it's workers that are not informed. Sounds like they deserve each other.

A workers ignorance to the laws is sad, but still the fault of the worker. And Unions are not the champion of said people, as they scam the worker into believing other crap that is just as ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I wonder, prices go up all the time, rent energy, ingredients. The money you spend after your bills is gone, you will never see it again. But the money invested into people, might eventually return to you, because unlike a piece of coal people spend.

And yet, when the prices go up for everything but people, its quietly swallowed and passed on, there is no fuzz. But when the one thing goes up in price, that might reinvest some of the dollar it costs extra, people, everyone is like ZOMG, my wallet hurts. It should be the other way around.

Also I wonder what percentage of each bill the owner can pocket for his personal use. If he feels the need to put down what goes towards paying for something so not important like health care, I would be curious to see how much he keeps, just to see how the 2 figures relate to each other.
edit on 19-11-2012 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Ok, I see your statement of them doing so and raise you the fact that they are still violating the law, regardless of right to work state.

People are afraid to report them as they know that the companies will retaliate against them, and there is little here by way of legal protection for the common man. Especially when fighting against the money of a large company. Believe me, from personal experience, the law is a rich mans playground only. Unless you have one hell of a case, you will have a very difficult time getting any legal defense no matter how in the right you actually are.

I will also raise you again as to the crap that unions pull on nonunion workers.

“right to work” state!
Unions cannot and do not pull anything on the workers down here, because all unions are “open houses”. The only way a union has any pull in a “right to work” state is if the company has the same union in other “closed shop” states. Many companies will allow unions, but they ensure that there is a different union at each shop in a “right to work” state, as well as any states that are not “right to work”.

Believe me, I was a union shop steward for an airline company, I know how the scam works. If my station went on strike, there were no other stations from the same company down here to back us up. The company would simply move workers, or scabs, from another station to cross the line. Sometimes other stations would refuse to cross even another unions line, but since they are “open house” the company would simply transport in non-union workers anyway.

Believe me, I am not generally a union supporter, but after some of the things I've seen down here, there are times and places that unions are needed.

I am sure that there are unions in FL. Just because it is a right to work state, does not mean unions can't exist.

Open house unions have no power, as I mentioned above.

They are still humans, regardless of whoever drew what line on some map somewhere. You should understand that no one give you some special privilege as a human to be treated any better or worse based on what side of some border you happened to spring out on. Besides, who gave anyone the authority to cut up this planet into little pieces and proclaim it as personal property anyway.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

reply to post by defcon5

Ok, I see your statement of them doing so and raise you the fact that they are still violating the law, regardless of right to work state. I will also raise you again as to the crap that unions pull on nonunion workers.

It cuts both ways.

There are definitely Unions in Fla. Disney World allows various unions to come in and recruit directly new hires at their orientation days. The Unions come in, make a pitch, pass out signature cards and 99 % new hires will sign the cards point blank.
Then in the workplace, the union people harass non union people and blackball them.
Disney is roughly 50 % Union

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
When it is state mandated that the receipt shows health coverage like it is there then I wouldn’t have a problem with it. If this guy had just raised the price to cover the cost like everyone else here then I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Wow, so you have no problem with the Govt levying fines/fees, just not private business?

You truly are comfortable with the Govt controlling more and more of life, huh?

From your picture I guess you are a soldier, right? From what I observe, the military went to great lengths to keep their soldiers alive spending a lot of money. But they dont have to. Why waste hundreds of thousands on air support on a handful insurgents if you can just send in the marines. So what if one or 2 die, its cheaper and there are more than enough standing in line to fill your boots.

But thank god the military is not run like a business and the soldiers get the best money can buy. If you need half a million worth of airstrikes to not expose 8 guys to a handful of Taliban you get it.

Why should the civilian sector be different? Why should an employer be able to say its okay you die of cancer and cant afford the cure Jack, dont you worry none, there are enough Mexicans and unemployed to replace you.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Fear is a crippling mentality that has secured the Govt grasp on people. What is there to fear? File a case with the DOL and let it fly.
It sounds to me too much like an excuse to just keep taking it.
But, there is nothing forcing said people to stay at that place to work. They can move to a different company, a different city or different state.

As for Unions not pulling crap??? Oh really? Having worked in many many states, including FL, I have had the wonderful time of an almost physical altercation with Union based people on a job site over myself and my crew not taking breaks when they did. There is bullying there just like your non union companies. The biggest difference?
In the non union, the bully is the owner and I can leave. In the unions, the bullies are the union members themselves? They are not singular in nature to company and are everywhere.
Now, that doesn't mean that all union members are bullies, but they greatly out number owners.

The Unions where I reside now create the laziest, most incompetent and most specialized maroons that I have ever worked with. And, they are creating the environment that are causing the company they work for to shed employees and lose business as they have priced them out of competition just to maintain overhead costs.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Merinda

I understand your questions, but they show a lack of any understanding of the Military.
Yes, the Military did spend money on my training and my low salary.
Just sending in the Marines is not the solution all the time. Why put a person in harms way, when an airstrike will do the job.
As for the Military being run? It is a cluster to say the least. And no, the normal GI does not get the best money can buy. The best goes to the Special Operations people. There are many of people that went in when I did, say mid to late 90's, that were issued damaged or worn out Vietnam Era M16s.

Comparing average citizens to military members is a far stretch and apples to oranges.
The military member makes a 4 year agreement and is basically property of the Govt during that time.
I fail to see where the average joe blow is doing the same.
edit on 20-11-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Fear is a crippling mentality that has secured the Govt grasp on people. What is there to fear? File a case with the DOL and let it fly.

Obviously you have not dealt much with such issues.
Unless you are a member of a protected class, there is not really much in the way of help that you can get without having big pockets of your own to rely on while it goes through litigation. Even then, you will get very little in the way of compensation, because despite what the real harm was done, they will claim there is little to nothing in actual damages.

As for Unions not pulling crap??? Oh really?

The only way that a Florida Union has any power is if they are part of a bigger union that spans to other states, and those other shops are willing to go on strike in support of wrongs done to the shop in Florida.

The Unions where I reside now create the laziest, most incompetent and most specialized maroons that I have ever worked with. And, they are creating the environment that are causing the company they work for to shed employees and lose business as they have priced them out of competition just to maintain overhead costs.

I agree that there are unions that are worthless and support laziness, but I've been in both instances myself, and there should be a happy medium. That happy medium is best if it came not from the unions, but from actual government restrictions on what companies can and cannot do. Real laws that are fair, and give a fair shake to the employees, not just the ones who fit into a “protected class”.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Your reply included laws, yes?
Looks like the laws are not enforced, due to fear, from workers not wanting to report the illegal activities.
Sorry, but i have no sympathy for people that operate in this mindset. They have tools there to help correct the issue, yet they take no action.

I have seen just how the DOL and the States operate when it comes to these things. It may take time, but it does work.
New laws and new groups are not needed. Just the enforcement and learning of the current laws.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This just in!

John Metz Denny's Obamacare Surcharge Stirs Big Mess For Restaurant Chain

Denny's chief executive John Miller privately reached out to Metz to express his "disappointment" with the Florida franchisee's controversial statements about Obamacare, which sparked a wave of backlash for the national restaurant chain over the past few days. Metz released a statement Monday night expressing "regret" over his statements.

"We recognize his right to speak on issues, but registered our disappointment that his comments have been interpreted as the company’s position," Miller said in an email to The Huffington Post.

And:

Some Denny's franchisees have since dealt with angry customers, calls for a boycott and declining sales. A spokeswoman for Metz said he will not conduct more interviews.

Metz, whose RREMC Restaurants owns more than 30 Denny's locations, said in a statement, "We regret that the statements we made may have been interpreted as representative of the Denny’s brand or of other franchisees, which they are not. Our stores do not have a 5 percent surcharge. Despite recent media coverage, RREMC Restaurants is committed to exploring viable and effective ways to deal with the changing economic climate, including the implementation of The Affordable Care Act. We have always been and will continue to be 100 percent dedicated to our employees and customers and will work tirelessly to find solutions that are in their best interests. It is our intention is to fully comply with the law."

Too little too late?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

What a coward.
This is the reason why 0bama got elected and people think that they are entitled to Govt stuff. People are to cowardly to stand up for what they believe.

Now I won't eat there. Before I would have.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Ain't payback a bitch? On the other hand, this is the perfect opportunities for those of the Right to rush in and support those Denny's outlets. Will they pay the surcharge? Or reduce the tip?

Such a conundrum!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
this is the perfect opportunities for those of the Right to rush in and support those Denny's outlets. Will they pay the surcharge? Or reduce the tip?

Verily, verlily thou has spoken.

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join