It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I take it nobody here owns a business it's going to get expensive %5 is not going to cover it I was informed i should plan on %300 within 5 years to cover it. I won't have any fulltimers by then

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

What is the problem?
Why does the business owner need to carry the financial burden that the Govt has forced the people to pay?

This is how businesses will stay afloat, by being creative in billing.

Prices go up when overhead and operational costs go up.

Good for him.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Yep, because DAMN HIM FOR OWNING 20 RESTAURANTS!!!! *Shakes fists in the air*.

Again with the "greed" line????
Do you do his books or manage his money? No, no you do not.
Did you help build his business? No, no you did not.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Well, speaking as a former executive chef for fine dining there isn't profit margin room to absorb an additional 5%. The restaurant wouldn't survive. In fact 8 out of 10 restaurants go bankrupt within 10 years anyways. Charging the customers an additional 5% is better than making all his employees part-time labor to keep from having to pay for their medical, which is what an enormous amount of companies are going to do. People will soon be only getting 29 hours a week.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

Universal healthcare?

What?

Pass the cost on to 330 million people same thing as the guy in the op is being decried for so those who are on government assistance pay?

Nope because they are already taking more out of a system than pay back in to it.

So no thanks considering private healthcare is the best in the country.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

The problem, in my opinion, is in the restaurant owner scapegoating one, and only one, facet of his employees, placing a sense of guilt onto the servers. That's a cheap shot at these employees, that they don't deserve.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
I take it nobody here owns a business it's going to get expensive %5 is not going to cover it I was informed i should plan on %300 within 5 years to cover it. I won't have any fulltimers by then

Yep, companies are going to hire more workers and everyone will be part time associates. It's the only way they will be able to survive.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedShirt73
Lets see:

48 Hurricane Grill & Wings locations (5 Corporate owned)
40 Denny's and Dairy Queen locations

Me thinks he's getting a pretty penny back from all these franchises, wouldn't you think? But if he has to pay for his employees healthcare he won't be able to get that new hummer.
edit on 15-11-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

What do you think his profit margin is?? I guarantee you it's about 10%. Sure he owns many restaurants, that also means he carries an enormous amount of debt.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I'm not opposed to raising prices to cover the costs. I'm opposed to his method.

I was a server for 35 years and I never worked a full 40 hour week. Usually it was under 29 hours.

Regardless of Obamacare, most corporations have by-laws that kick in to provide medical benefit packages to full time employees. You'll be hard pressed to find full time servers though, maybe 2 or 3 per restaurant, even before Obamacare was a whisper of an idea, that was a rule of business.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

No it isn't.
He is doing this to keep his business afloat.

Which is worse?
The Govt forcing people to purchase something and taxing businesses?
Or a business instituting a 5% surcharge for said taxes and 0bamacare?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

I'm not opposed to raising prices to cover the costs. I'm opposed to his method.

I was a server for 35 years and I never worked a full 40 hour week. Usually it was under 29 hours.

Regardless of Obamacare, most corporations have by-laws that kick in to provide medical benefit packages to full time employees. You'll be hard pressed to find full time servers though, maybe 2 or 3 per restaurant, even before Obamacare was a whisper of an idea, that was a rule of business.

But you cant just arbitrarily raise menu prices. That kills the business. There are a plethora of options out there for dining, and people want more for less. As a chef you cant really raise prices or cut portions, that's why we do food costing in the business. The price i pay for product determines the menu price.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
just wait until this happens across the board, overnight everything increases by 5-10% to cover the bottomlines of the businesses this will affect.
And corporations will show the true colours by doing this, they will not allow profits to take a hit from this if they can make you pay for it, price fixing on a national level like has never been seen before is about to happen.

Also that video of the guy with parkinsons, america is going to destroy itself with no more help from anyone, the fact that those who have money can treat others who have no hope of being able to work, not because they are lazy but because they cannot, with such disdain and unnecessary venomous derision, shows that a large section of american society is no better than gutter scum.
those in real poverty from medical issues CANNOT help it, so they are impotent by juris of inability, not by choice.
edit on 15-11-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

They can either pay it and tip 15 or 20 percent, or if they really feel so inclined, they can reduce the amount of tip they give to the server, who is the primary beneficiary of Obamacare,"

^^This. This is the problem in my opinion. Scapegoating one faction of his employees for a political reality that can't be escaped.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I'm glad these business owners are encouraging us to eat less fast food, less crappy food and save money

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Menu prices are based on far more that food costs. That may your professional expertise, but it's not the bottom line.

Prices are never, in good business practices, arbitrarily raised. Fuel costs, cost of living rises, food costs, insurance, etc. are all costs that are factored into the rising menu prices. Some things, if they are too costly are just taken off the menu completely.

I've seen it and explained to my regular customers many, many times.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

No, let the people choose.
Just because it goes against 0bamacare, does not make it bad.

The customer gets the choice. Maybe people that are servers might start to look at higher paying jobs, instead of worrying about a 5% dip in pay.
But, at least the Nanny Govt gets them their "free" health care.

Nothing is free and this is a prime example. Someone ends up paying for it.
This is the reason why wealthy people will remain wealthy, they know how to take a crap sandwich and make it sell-able.

link   
reply to post by The X

Of course it will happen overnight, cost of living will rise dramatically and wages will not. People are going to get exactly what they asked for. The only chance to repeal Obamacare has gone and went. America will be fundamentally different forever.

link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by RedShirt73
Lets see:

48 Hurricane Grill & Wings locations (5 Corporate owned)
40 Denny's and Dairy Queen locations

Me thinks he's getting a pretty penny back from all these franchises, wouldn't you think? But if he has to pay for his employees healthcare he won't be able to get that new hummer.
edit on 15-11-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

What do you think his profit margin is?? I guarantee you it's about 10%. Sure he owns many restaurants, that also means he carries an enormous amount of debt.

I googled up the moron and he owns a venture capital firm/only partner that has what he claims is a minimum of 75-100 Million to play with. Otherwise he has that money in the bank...so the bit about him potentially being in debt or having a small profit margin is BS.

By the way, he also buys struggling retirement homes....hate to be in one of those homes with this guy's less than charitable (ef you - pay -me) management style.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Until all business start this to offset the cost of a crushing Fed Govt.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
He is the owner of the restaurant and can charge whatever he wants. This is the way taxes work... the cost of all taxes and regulations imposed on business by the government is always passed on to the consumer, and yet this logic seems to escape the progressive policy makers in government. Whenever the cost to produce goes up, or whenever the cost to employ goes up, the cost is paid for in the end by the consumer buying a product or using a service. I do think that it is somewhat foolish for this restaurant owner to advertise the 5% charge, because it is clearly a political statement, and considering half of the voters last week voted for Obama, it is safe to assume that he will lose customers as a result of this 5% charge, which will ultimately end up costing him more than the added cost of ObamaCare. This is the free market at work, and the employees may get tired of the reduced tips and seek employment elsewhere as a direct result of the owners tactics and ideas. Now, let's get rid of the federally mandated minimum wage and apply this same logic and then we can clearly see that employers would be forced to pay competitive wages or suffer the consequences of having substandard employees and perhaps even going out of business, instead of having the "excuse" of paying the substandard, non-competitive minimum wage.
edit on 15-11-2012 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

I really have nothing to add to what you said above, but wanted to re-post if for others to read.

You have summed things up quite well.

Good post! star for you!

edit on 15-11-2012 by defuntion because: because

edit on 15-11-2012 by defuntion because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join