It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
He is the owner of the restaurant and can charge whatever he wants. This is the way taxes work... the cost of all taxes and regulations imposed on business by the government is always passed on to the consumer,

snip

Likewise, the costs endured from so many companies outsourcing jobs and companies to China has come full circle back to them today.

The majority of American's used to be able to afford their healthcare, and had wages increases in scale with the rise in productivity in this nation. That all changed in the past 20 years so that the few can get richer at the expense to the rest of the nation.

The policies these criminals supported is coming back to bite them.

If they all go GALT and close up shop, it will not matter either way, because they will still pay the price if the dollar and perhaps world currencies collapse, and they will have nowhere else to run.

Then finally, the Wall Street criminals will collapse and burn in hell

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by Indigo5

But, I am sure you feel that is just evil, as businesses should be there to employe people, and not make a profit for someone.

Someone admitting that their sole purpose is not "Job Creators" unlike we have been told.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

Then finally, the Wall Street criminals will collapse and burn in hell

From your lips to God's ears!

Or, should I say, "From your finger tips to God's flat screen!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Cute spin, but you fail.

The reason for anyone to start a business is to make a profit.
With those evil businesses making a profit for the owner(s), the by-product is a job within the company.

Nice try, but a failure.

edit on 16-11-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
And who is the evil government made up of?

The common poor American Joe Blo?

Or scumbags from Wall Street like Goldman Sachs and CEO's from Multi National Corporations that go into politics to help their cronies and that give no allegiance to this country?

reply to post by missed_gear

Now, imagine if we had one of those Fed Income Tax holidays people always whisper about.
Or, as more and more people go 1099, that they become more and more aware just how much money is sucked out of the American Workers pockets by the Govt.

The Govt has a win win. They take the money with no real risk, and hand it out like Santa Clause every month.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
And for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The dilemma we find ourselves in is because of the very policies from people you seem to worship, that do not give a dam about this country and use it as a means to collect more wealth, power and control.

Cute spin, but you fail.

The reason for anyone to start a business is to make a profit.
With those evil businesses making a profit for the owner(s), the by-product is a job within the company.

Nice try, but a failure.

edit on 16-11-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

You are proving my point. The Govt can't be trusted with more control or more of our money.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I worship no man. You have your facts and assumptions wrong.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
So are you all for getting the Banksters and Multi National Corporations out of our government and also to end lobbyists?

They do not exist to help you or this country but only themselves.

The Obama Phone railed on by many is a perfect example where the Telecommunications Industry lobbied to create government money to fund these phones.

You are proving my point. The Govt can't be trusted with more control or more of our money.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
If you give support to these Multi-National Corporations and the Big Wall Street Banks in this country, that were all instrumental in destroying this country through their foreign trade and war policies, then you are part of the problem.

The small regional banks and small and medium sized business are the backbone of this country.
The rest are financial and warmongering terrorists that are the enemy of every true American in this country.

I worship no man. You have your facts and assumptions wrong.

edit on 16-11-2012 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

reply to post by defcon5

Oh come on. You are using a single, or handful of outrageous instances to rally against Reps and the idea for less Govt control in business. You know that and I know that.

I have worked for 15 years in right to work states and have yet to encounter anything close to what you suggest. I have worked for some real winners and real losers.

You still have the ability and right to leave there or stay.

And a right to work state has the ability to fire you for no reason along with other unreasonable things the employee has to encounter. I live in a right to work state also. Defcon5's experiences are not the exception. You not having this experience is.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

The business is there to make him a profit, not provide jobs and health insurance to workers.

Finally you speak the truth about the real agenda. So all this talk about raising taxes for the wealthy will affect job creation is BS right?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedShirt73

Originally posted by mrnotobc

So you're saying self employed, and the growing number of people referred to a independent contractors, that don't have health insurance, won't have costs going up.

Myself, I'm self employed. My wife and I have no insurance. When we go to the doctor, we pay with our own money. Now I'm faced with a $1500 fine, which adds to my costs. If I decide to raise my prices to cover these costs, does that make me a scumbbag?

No doubt it will be hard on some people. Just a quick question, are there any tax breaks that you guys get from this?

What I'm told each year at tax time is, since my actual out of pocket expenses are less than $7500 I don't qualify for a tax break. If my expenses go above $7500 I would be intitled to deduct some of the amount above $7500.

That may come as a surprise to some people here that think businesses get all these huge tax breaks.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Originally posted by Thepump

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by NavyDoc

To answer your question, neither. The government should not have mandated anything on the employer. I'm surprised so many people think that if only the government mandates things, things happen without any cost or effort.

Great! So the restaurant owner should neither add the cost as an itemization, nor should he raise menu prices, because the government shouldn't have mandated the ACA in the first place.

M'kay, thanks for playing.

Nope, just pointnig out the TRUE underlying cause of the problem. Bitch about the restaurant owner all you want, but we all know who caused the problem in the first place. WIthout the government mandate, this would not even be an issue.

The TRUE underlying cause is that not everybody can afford to see a doctor, Dr.

Like tens of millions of people, Dr.

So Bitch about the mandate all you want, but there wouldn't be a mandate if there wasn't a problem.

A problem that was created by the government in the first place, from FDR capping wages in WWII so to get more skilled workers, industry added benefits such as healthcare and tied it to work. Regulation, taxation, Medicare, Medicaid, mandates to cover ALL medical on dialysis patients, SSDI, out of control malpractice litigation,etc, etc.

It boggles the mind that people turn to those who created the problem in the first place for the solution. Of course a jaded person would suggest that was the whole intent from the beginning.
edit on 16-11-2012 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

That is ignorant... The fact of the matter is a person who works for minimum wage can't
pay for the the labor of a Doctor, nurses, labs, technicians, receptionists and the like. It
is a simple economic equation - when food and shelter are at risk, people will chose those
over medical attention, it's the same way around the world.

Can a person who makes $430 dollars a week, afford to get their cancer treated by you?
And pay for their food, gas and rent?

Tell me how that works Doc? You and all your staff are not going to be-able to get the
job done for the $40 left over that people have after paying for the incidentals of life.

I don't mean to be pissy, but it is insulting... I suspect you can't relate because you do not
have to worry about destitution. I don't forget where I've come from and how it's like.
edit on 16-11-2012 by Thepump because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Here is an idea, have the owner take a 5% cut off his profits. Oh wait that will hurt him. The owner would rather his community foot the bill then take a leadership role and suck up the costs as part of operating business.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
They already do this in San Francisco. I don't think people really notice. The server could actually make more money because a lot of people tip based off of the Total and not subtotal.

Look under where it says tax, there is a line for Health Insurance.

They've been doing that for years now.

If you can't see the image it says:

2 coffee 4.00
1 FRENCH TOAST SAUSAGE 8.95
1 LRG BAGDAD SPC 11.25
1 S/ONE EGG 2.00

SUBTOTAL 26.20
TAX 2.59
SF HEALTH IN 1.02
TOTAL 29.81

Bagdad is pleased to offer health insurance to all of its employees under San Francisco's ground-breaking Health Care Security Ordinance. The above 3.9% surcharge helps us to pay for the related cost. Thank you!

I like the bottom paragraph. It makes it sound nice that they're offering health insurance, and when you think about it, it is nice!
edit on 11/16/2012 by Xaberz because: added text of receipt

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaberz

Right. I would've had no problem with this guy doing it that way. My problem was with him throwing his servers under the buss, blaming them and suggesting that customers who don't like the charge take it from the server tip.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaberz
They already do this in San Francisco. I don't think people really notice. The server could actually make more money because a lot of people tip based off of the Total and not subtotal.

Look under where it says tax, there is a line for Health Insurance.

They've been doing that for years now.

If you can't see the image it says:

2 coffee 4.00
1 FRENCH TOAST SAUSAGE 8.95
1 LRG BAGDAD SPC 11.25
1 S/ONE EGG 2.00

SUBTOTAL 26.20
TAX 2.59
SF HEALTH IN 1.02
TOTAL 29.81

Bagdad is pleased to offer health insurance to all of its employees under San Francisco's ground-breaking Health Care Security Ordinance. The above 3.9% surcharge helps us to pay for the related cost. Thank you!

I like the bottom paragraph. It makes it sound nice that they're offering health insurance, and when you think about it, it is nice!
edit on 11/16/2012 by Xaberz because: added text of receipt

It seems reasonable to me too. All business expenses are factored into the bottom line. Any business that doesn't do that won't last long.

I think our country has nourished a generation of whiners that feel they're entitled to something because they were born.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
When it is state mandated that the receipt shows health coverage like it is there then I wouldn’t have a problem with it. If this guy had just raised the price to cover the cost like everyone else here then I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Unfortunately the guy has decided to make a political statement which hurts the employees so I am making a political statement by boycotting his restaurants.

I will spend my money at his competitors establishments helping them grow while his shrinks. His employees will become his competitor’s employees. With any luck he will change his business practices or he will be forced to sell his business to someone that doesn’t flaunt their d#$hness.

It is his business and his choice to make bad business decisions so my business shall follow those who make good business decisions.

It is too bad to because I kind of liked Hurricane Grill and Wings which is one of his chains but there is a place a couple miles away that is just as good in my opinion.
edit on 16-11-2012 by Grimpachi because: add

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by NavyDoc

To answer your question, neither. The government should not have mandated anything on the employer. I'm surprised so many people think that if only the government mandates things, things happen without any cost or effort.

Great! So the restaurant owner should neither add the cost as an itemization, nor should he raise menu prices, because the government shouldn't have mandated the ACA in the first place.

Nope, just pointnig out the TRUE underlying cause of the problem. Bitch about the restaurant owner all you want, but we all know who caused the problem in the first place. WIthout the government mandate, this would not even be an issue.

The TRUE underlying cause is that not everybody can afford to see a doctor, Dr.

Like tens of millions of people, Dr.

So Bitch about the mandate all you want, but there wouldn't be a mandate if there wasn't a problem.

A problem that was created by the government in the first place, from FDR capping wages in WWII so to get more skilled workers, industry added benefits such as healthcare and tied it to work. Regulation, taxation, Medicare, Medicaid, mandates to cover ALL medical on dialysis patients, SSDI, out of control malpractice litigation,etc, etc.

It boggles the mind that people turn to those who created the problem in the first place for the solution. Of course a jaded person would suggest that was the whole intent from the beginning.
edit on 16-11-2012 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

That is ignorant... The fact of the matter is a person who works for minimum wage can't
pay for the the labor of a Doctor, nurses, labs, technicians, receptionists and the like. It
is a simple economic equation - when food and shelter are at risk, people will chose those
over medical attention, it's the same way around the world.

Can a person who makes $430 dollars a week, afford to get their cancer treated by you?
And pay for their food, gas and rent?

Tell me how that works Doc? You and all your staff are not going to be-able to get the
job done for the $40 left over that people have after paying for the incidentals of life.

I don't mean to be pissy, but it is insulting... I suspect you can't relate because you do not
have to worry about destitution. I don't forget where I've come from and how it's like.
edit on 16-11-2012 by Thepump because: (no reason given)

ANd your assumptions are pretty damned insulting. I've clawed my way up from poverty so your class warfare schitck does not fly. Also insulting is the assumption that I and my fellow MD's do not do any gratis work. I can gurantee you that I have done more charity work in the last year than you have in your entire life, so stow that stupid #.

THe answer is quite simple: government regulation and litigation has made medical care much, much, more expensive than it needs to be. That is a fact and it is silly to turn to the very entity that has had a hand in the cause of the problem as a solution to the problem. Make charity medical care 100% tax deductible and you will see physicains and hospitals lining up to take care of the truely indigent. Of course that will never happen because that will mean that politicians will lose control.

SImple economics.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join