It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Unfortunately, while I disagree with what Denny's is doing, I think there'll probsbly be more of this stuff and similar techniques from these power hungry corporations.

Having worked in the restaurant industry at one time I know most servers are definately not in it for the money. Most of them do struggle to make ends meet. They too become "victims". I'm sure there will be more rude awakenings in the years to come.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

The story of Render under Cesar maybe?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

Yet, those are the people that bought into 0bama's pitch of free health care.

Sad to see happening what was predicted.
There is nothing for free.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
All this arguing is moot. 2014? really?

I tell you now this country won't survive in its current form to 2014.

The economy will crash before then and at the same time the US will be engaged in WW3.

When 50% or more of the population of the earth is gone through warfare and starvation no one will be thinking about obamacare ...

I know ... I'm a kook, a doom and gloomer, a paranoid, blah blah blah

go back to sleep ... enjoy your nap while you can

edit on 16-11-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

This business owner is just making flashy statement. That is all. If he really wanted to offset his "losses" and move on quietly, he would just mark up the menu 5% and be done with it.

I am not sure if the OP was on target with the tip sharing. Not all places share tips (mine doesn't).

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by zroth

I fail to see where in the Bible it states that Govt is supposed to take care of people.

You missed the point.

WE put on two faces as a nation.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I’m not Obamacare fan at all, but I’m starting think it ploy to get more power to the government

I mean right now a lot people are on welfare or need some type government aid, but there are still a lot people that haven’t cross the free cheese line yet. Now with Obamacare the government making even more appealing to ask from government help. Like a crack dealer pushing a drug, saying come get this free sample…then boom you’re dependent. The crack dealer can get whatever he wants as long as you stay dependent.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

It starts with a D let me take a stab Denny's. Other restaurants might want to watch what happens, first, if they think this is a good idea.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Originally posted by zroth

If you were a server, and you should get cancer, that medical treatment is not my responsibility.
Neither is it yours if I get cancer.

America cannot run around claiming to be a Judeo-Christian nation and ignore the basic biblical responsibilities to its brethren.

Divided we fall. This is proving true daily.

Where in the Bible or Torah does it state you must provide charity to one, by forced taking from another? Judeo-Christian values include individual charity but do not support coercive charity. America is a very charitable nation and give to charities more than any other country. We just take umbrage at those who call us "selfish" as they want to help themselves to our bank accounts.

This should cover a third of the people in one command.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27

It is clear your mind is made up by FOX news and right wing views. That is OK.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

The story of Render under Cesar maybe?

It says to give Ceasar what is his. It does not really say exactly what is Ceasars, does it?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
John Metz owns numerous restaurant outlets and plans to impose a 5% surcharge to each customer's bill to pay for his employees' health care insurance.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Metz is the franchisor of Hurricane Grill & Wings, which has 48 locations, five of which are corporate owned, and president and owner of RREMC Restaurants, which runs approximately 40 Denny's and several Dairy Queen locations. He planned to use the 5 percent surcharge tactic in all his restaurants starting in January 2014, when Obamacare is fully implemented.

Metz admits that this tactic will effect the tips, which servers rely on as a substantial part of their earnings. So, while servers are already required to share their tips with bussers, bartenders, kitchen staff and the front desk, plus the fact that they are taxed on 8% of their sales in income tax, Metz refuses to bear any financial responsibility himself, or for his bottom line to suffer one iota.

"If I leave the prices the same, but say on the menu that there is a 5 percent surcharge for Obamacare, customers have two choices. They can either pay it and tip 15 or 20 percent, or if they really feel so inclined, they can reduce the amount of tip they give to the server, who is the primary beneficiary of Obamacare,"

This statement really gets my goat! Servers are not greedy, selfish, lazy, enemies of capitalism. Neither are they the primary beneficiaries of Obamacare. There are also the bussers, dishwashers, cooks and preps, hostesses, commissary and warehouse workers, office staff, etc. who's salaries are derived from the customer's check, and who will also benefit from Obamacare.

This "D bag" wants to place the onus of Obamacare squarely on one employee, the server. The earnings of other, non tipped hourly employees will not be effected.

In my opinion, this is class warfare and dirty politics.

What say you ATS? Do you think it's right to make restaurant servers collect this surcharge personally from each customer and deal with their complaints, most likely loosing a good portion of what would have been tipped to them for their good service. Or do you think that the restaurants in question should raise their prices to reflect their rising costs?

edit on 15-11-2012 by windword because: OCD Spelling and Grammar

I take it he doesn't already have an employee health insurance plan. If he did, "Obamacare" would represent a sigbificant tax break for his business, with the 35% tax credit for employee health insurance plans.

I encourage him to do this though - it will be nice to see his business fail.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Where in the Bible or Torah does it state you must provide charity to one, by forced taking from another? Judeo-Christian values include individual charity but do not support coercive charity. America is a very charitable nation and give to charities more than any other country. We just take umbrage at those who call us "selfish" as they want to help themselves to our bank accounts.

This should cover a third of the people in one command.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27

It is clear your mind is made up by FOX news and right wing views. That is OK.

Ah, dodge, obfuscate, and tehn a personal denegration. Where does Jesus say to insult people?

1. We are supposed to be a nation with a secular government. Using Bible verses to create law would have Thomas Jefferson rolling in his grave.

2. That verse you quoted still does not mention forcing charity upon your neighbor. Find me a quote where God said "feed the widow by robbing her neighbor" and you might have something to argue with.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind

The economy will crash before then and at the same time the US will be engaged in WW3.

When 50% or more of the population of the earth is gone through warfare and starvation no one will be thinking about obamacare ...

At least preface by saying something like, "I have a weird feeling that...", or "I had a dream that..." otherwise, might as well juat file this with billions of other statements which have been posted on the internet about the certain demise of the US, whose doom dates have passed.

Its clear people understand very little about how things really work if they truly think the US is in peril.
edit on 11/16/2012 by dogstar23 because: moar!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

i don't think a 5% percent markup would cover anything.
I don't know now days, but about 12 years ago in Texas when I was helping run a business the markup on person wages to cover payroll, taxes, workman’s comp, and company insurance (not an individuals) was about 27% and that’s without factoring in overhead or profit which varies and be up to a 50% increase on top of the 27% depending on how much overhead you’re company has.

Its nothing for 10 an hour person to cost the company 20 an hour and not make a profit off them.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dogstar23

Originally posted by MegaMind

At least preface by saying something like, "I have a weird feeling that...", or "I had a dream that..." otherwise, might as well juat file this with billions of other statements which have been posted on the internet about the certain demise of the US, whose doom dates have passed.

Its clear people understand very little about how things really work if they truly think the US is in peril.
edit on 11/16/2012 by dogstar23 because: moar!

Yeah everything is just fine and dandy ... please pass the kool-aid, don't be a hog!!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I can also say, the company I help get started, and we couldn’t offer healthcare. We were a contractor biding jobs and the cost of man power is expensive. All it took is for one company cut benefits to save a few bucks on man power and their price on a bid would drop. It is tough market, so the only way to stay competitive with others was to do the same.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tbrooks76
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

i don't think a 5% percent markup would cover anything.
I don't know now days, but about 12 years ago in Texas when I was helping run a business the markup on person wages to cover payroll, taxes, workman’s comp, and company insurance (not an individuals) was about 27% and that’s without factoring in overhead or profit which varies and be up to a 50% increase on top of the 27% depending on how much overhead you’re company has.

Its nothing for 10 an hour person to cost the company 20 an hour and not make a profit off them.

Correct. Your benefits (on top of wages) can be calc'd at about 30%. If you want to calc wages and benfits as a % of revenue, unless your business runs 110% occupancy or something, you should estimate about 45-50%.

If you are paying your servers 10 an hour, you are making a dire mistake. Servers should be paid in the server range (2.13 min, i pay mine substantially more than that). Their pay should come from tips, as that is what drives service. If you have 10 an hour servers that are untipped (which is legal to do...you only have to pay a minimum wage equivalent), you will get a quality of service that is akin to a grade school lunchroom.

Tips are what drives service, and it is what drives upselling. If you are tipping at 20% of the ticket, then the server benefits from upselling your ticket. Especially with drinks, which people will sit for longer to drink more of (and tip more for).
edit on 16-11-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

No, no I did not.
No where in the Bible, which you used under the Judeo-Christian comment, does it state that the Govt is to take from some to give to others.

Why should the masses offer to help others? The Govt has assumed that role, and is even making it harder every day for people to help others.

So, please spare me the high and mighty Christian responses.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

Don't see where is states to render unto Cesar and have the Fed Govt become the keeper of those people.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

This business owner is just making flashy statement. That is all. If he really wanted to offset his "losses" and move on quietly, he would just mark up the menu 5% and be done with it.

I am not sure if the OP was on target with the tip sharing. Not all places share tips (mine doesn't).

I've worked for all kinds of restaurants. Most recently was a family owned local landmark, small seafood chain. Servers were required to tip the bussers 2% of their total sales and the bar 2% of beverage sales. If there was a large party, 20 or more, the kitchen was promised a 1% kickback. If the party was 50 or more, and the gratuity was pre-negotiated by the office staff, then 2% of the sales was a guaranteed gratuity for the front desk.

During busy weekends the kitchen set a tip jar out, and if a server made a mistake and needed the kitchen to cover their arse, they had better drop a dollar or two. If you want the front, hosts and hostesses to seat you well and fairly, not swamping you with 4 tables all at once, or only seating you single ladies with babies, you kicked back some green to the front of the house, too.

Sometimes waiting table can be like a having a small business.

edit on 16-11-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join