It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I was not reading into your post. You are posting in a thread about a guy charging 5% to cover a cost. You posted you are not eating there.

I simply said if it is a 5% charge keeping you from eating there you should stay at home. 5% causing anyone not to eat there is rediculous. I could care less who eats there or not. I don't eat Denny's so it does not affect me either way. My point was however that if the places I go to once a month did this it would not keep me from going there because 5% is nothing considering I am spending money I could save by eating at home.

If some cheap people here want to let 5% keep them from eating there that is their choice. But my opinion is if they are counting nickles that much they should stay at home. If they are doing it because of his statement that is fine too. Just have the balls to say you do not want to help cover the employees healthcare. That is all this guy is doing he is raising prices in his own way to cover the healthcare he is being forced to pay for.

We are all in this together and need to start helping each other. That is what this health care thing is about helping each other. One way or another we all pay for it, this guy is at least being upfront about it.

Raist

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

You are so right with this post.

People get mad because this guy is honest about what he is charging. They do not want to help others. They want others to help others. In the end we all pay for it. At least this guy unlike the politicians is being honest.

Raist

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
We are now ruled by a looter government. Fifty to seventy years of banality await us until something truly awful catches us sleeping and finally brings it all crashing down.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
We are now ruled by a looter government. Fifty to seventy years of banality await us until something truly awful catches us sleeping and finally brings it all crashing down.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Originally posted by Raist

So you are saying that on a bill of $10 you would pay the server less because of $.50?

Again if 5% is going to be that hard on the person buying the meal they should stay at home to begin with. We are talking about a nickle for every dollar spent at a Denny's. This is not like some top dollar place. Their menu is around the same cost as any other fast food place.

Raist

Nope I never said that. I said I am not eating there. I will take my business somewhere else. Free market and all. Hopefully other people will as well and when business picks up in other restaurants they will hire more people. Free market at work. The server who decides to stay at a place that isn’t doing much business has made a poor choice of where to work in my opinion. I guess it could be a place to learn the ropes though.

See same money is being spent it is just being spent somewhere else. Try not reading into other people’s posts too much.

All while paying 5 or 10% more for the food you eat.

That way, you wont KNOW that you are actually paying for your servers healthcare.

What you are saying is:

"I can eat at Denny's for $10.00 + 5% surcharge to help pay for the employees healthcare OR I can go next door to Joe's and pay $10.50 for the same meal and NOT pay for the employees heathcare.

Either way, it is what it is. Accept it and move on.

edit on 15-11-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I was not reading into your post. You are posting in a thread about a guy charging 5% to cover a cost. You posted you are not eating there.

I simply said if it is a 5% charge keeping you from eating there you should stay at home. 5% causing anyone not to eat there is rediculous. I could care less who eats there or not. I don't eat Denny's so it does not affect me either way. My point was however that if the places I go to once a month did this it would not keep me from going there because 5% is nothing considering I am spending money I could save by eating at home.

If some cheap people here want to let 5% keep them from eating there that is their choice. But my opinion is if they are counting nickles that much they should stay at home. If they are doing it because of his statement that is fine too. Just have the balls to say you do not want to help cover the employees healthcare. That is all this guy is doing he is raising prices in his own way to cover the healthcare he is being forced to pay for.

We are all in this together and need to start helping each other. That is what this health care thing is about helping each other. One way or another we all pay for it, this guy is at least being upfront about it.

Raist

See you are reading into things again. Nowhere did I say it was about saving money. I said the guy is an @ hole. If you support @ holes great for you as for myself if I don’t have to I will not.

If you think the guy is just being upfront I would have to disagree there. I think he is making a statement and if he is not trying to do so then it makes me wonder how he has stayed in business for this long because to most people that is how it looks. If he isn’t purposely being a @ hole then he is an idiot as far as presentation. Him being in the food industry he should understand how much presentation counts and just because it is a Denny’s is no excuse for not understanding basics.

As a customer I can voice my opinion of his business practices with my wallet I did the same with Starbucks over an issue and found a better coffee shop with great Costa Rican coffee.

Just so you do not have any misconception this is not about the cost it is about the principles something many people no longer have.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Menu prices are based on far more that food costs. That may your professional expertise, but it's not the bottom line.

Prices are never, in good business practices, arbitrarily raised. Fuel costs, cost of living rises, food costs, insurance, etc. are all costs that are factored into the rising menu prices. Some things, if they are too costly are just taken off the menu completely.

I've seen it and explained to my regular customers many, many times.

Let me break it down for you.

Food cost: 25-29%
Labor: 10-12%
Debt: 30-35%
Management: 10-12%
Advertising: 8-10%

Profit margin: 8-10%

To maintain that food cost percentage every chef in the country charges about 4x what he pays for product.

Profits are typically less then that. Your doing good when your net net profit after taxes is 3-4%

I
edit on 15-11-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

that is not telling you they are passing it on. At lest this guys is honest

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

One might think that humans would have evolved beyond the primal animal behavior of: "Survival of the Fittest" - - - in other words ME ME ME - - Screw You.

One would think considering the millions of years of evolution that "animals" either adapt or perish from the face of the earth.

Given the fact that the human animal has the ability and capacity to adapt some think that is so "inhumane" and those who don't believe in the power of government is told "screw you".

The only thing that does is promote stagnation of the human species to the point of de-evolution rather successful they have been since their ideology flies in the fact of the only reason modern man even exists is because of their adaptation to the environment.

Some people scream change the environment to suit the human animal which has been a total and utter failure.
edit on 15-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by NOTurTypical

But technically, he isn't passing along to the customer. He's openly giving them the option out, by suggesting that the customer withhold a tip from the server.

Here I am at page 6, oh geez you must be so annoyed with this by now wind...

I have no problem with any of this, except the above quote. What a low blow...If it were my boss, I'd find a new job immediately. I'm glad I don't eat at Denny's..

edit on 15-11-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Vote with your wallet.

After 9/11, shady business people used it as an excuse to take the money and run.

Same in 2008 after the housing bubble popped.

Greedy people run the world.

Don't eat there is you don't like what you are hearing.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I can't belive the amount of people in this thread who are mad at the owner. The owner is forced by law under gun point to provide healthcare to his employees. This is sick on how powerful the government is getting. This law only make workers more lazy, production will fall and prices will rise.

In the free markets when an employer offers healthcare it an incentive and a reward to workers of that company. Because its a benefit people work harder, productivity rises and prices fall because those people want to keep the job with the nice healthcare plan.

Now it's forced on to bussness under gun point. Prices will rise, people will get let go and everything is going to cost more. Thank you progressive movement, you really know how to screw yourself over well.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Romney care begat Obama care which is an inadequate method of providing health services. As a proud member of the self-employed, I can say that something needs to be done. The fully loaded cost of a two person family plan, buying direct is $18,000 to $30,000. That's premiums deductibles, co-payments, and uncovered expenses.

I have no respect for Denny's, although they have a point. Obama care is private insurance. Denny's want's no coverage as an option. People still need insurance. The surcharge is simply silly. This franchisee make the case for single payor plans. That's the only way to get health care down.

Another action item for Denny's is to stop serving the type of food that makes health care so expensive by larding on the fat and chemicals.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Don't sweat it...
This entitled moron is going to learn the heard way that its us little 'surfs' that made him rich to begin with. Customers will simply not patronize his businesses when they see his attitude toward the 'little guy'.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

You are only fooling yourself. The same goes for anyone who thinks the same. You are paying for the healthcare regardless. This guy is at least telling you, you are paying for it.

His principles from what I see are saying "here people voted for this so people will pay for it".

Like I said you are going to be paying for it one way or another, this guy is up front about it though.

I guess he could lay people off, cut hours or what have you. The food industry does not make a lot of cash even for someone who owns few few chains. The only people making big money in food are top chefs who own their own place.

So many people on here cry foul when others do not want a nanny state to care for them but then turn and complain when they have to fit some of the bill themselves. that's might not be the case with you as you say it is the principle. The only princciple I see is a guy saying you are paying for the healthcare.

Raist

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Oh, that's right...
Only the rich are entitled to healthcare.
Everyone else can go eat cake.
Sorry, I forgot...

BTW... When employers, who pay little to nothing in taxes don't provide healthcare, the rest of us middle class folks have to pick up the tab through our tax dollars. Oh, but then again, I forgot that the rich are entitled to use up the lions share of social services that they don't even pay for.
Darn... there I am forgetting my place in society again.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 11/15/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

The nanny state crowd will never get it. They complain until someone other than themselves are caring for others.

Raist

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Raist

See you are reading into things again. Nowhere did I say it was about saving money. I said the guy is an @ hole. If you support @ holes great for you as for myself if I don’t have to I will not.

If you think the guy is just being upfront I would have to disagree there. I think he is making a statement and if he is not trying to do so then it makes me wonder how he has stayed in business for this long because to most people that is how it looks. If he isn’t purposely being a @ hole then he is an idiot as far as presentation. Him being in the food industry he should understand how much presentation counts and just because it is a Denny’s is no excuse for not understanding basics.

As a customer I can voice my opinion of his business practices with my wallet I did the same with Starbucks over an issue and found a better coffee shop with great Costa Rican coffee.

Just so you do not have any misconception this is not about the cost it is about the principles something many people no longer have.

Every restaurant/store will be doing this. Added costs to the store are passed down to the customer. There will be two types of restaurants, those that charge 5% more for their food, and those who simply impose a 5% surcharge. The consumer is better off with the surcharge as if it is added to food costs you will tip on it as well, increasing costs by around 6% instead of 5%. If costs increase and prices stay the same businesses go out of business.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Seems like it would be much less dramatic to simply increase prices by five percent.

I doubt the customers would really notice it, and the money could be covered.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

It is the same result either way. You cannot please everyone though. This guy is upfront with the pricing though.

People complain when he does not provide insurance and then complain when he charges more because he does.

I find it funny just how this thread is going. In this thread you see irony, hypocrites, and lovers of nanny state. It is like some cute jumbled up funny farm.
That is why I am so happy the guy is doing this, it makes ATS more entertaining.

Raist

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join