It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
it seems this restaurant owner thinks his employees are slaves.

obama put a stop to his exploitation of his low paid employees and now this evil bitter douchebag is trying to stick it to obama by passing the cost on to the customer while at the same time punishing his waitresses.

i predict this idiot will be out of business in 6 months.

who would eat in a restaurant where you have to choose a) pay separately for the owners health insurance costs or b) not leave a tip because you're angry at the restaurant owner in which case you punish a low paid worker that had nothing to do with any of it.

i wonder how enjoyable a meal at this place would be. you end up walking out an a**hole either way.

i would choose c) give the waitress a $20 to put her pocket and tell her it's completely hers and nobody else's and leave nothing as a tip where this miserable greedy bastard can get his hands on it.

edit on 15-11-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

The companies that now offer lucrative benefit programs have done so all along.. And added these benefits at their own leisure to attract good employees. Many of the services they provide are expensive professional services. Expensive since the public already is paying for their employees benefits.

Now switch forward to January 2013. We are talking a great many companies that don't pay health insurance now suddenly faced with the expense. And this all happening in a huge catastrophic swoop. The economy is going to nose dive under such a huge impact. With folks realizing that the prices of previously inexpensive services are going up. This will be the Hiroshima of the US economy.
edit on 15-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAngryFarm
reply to post by Thepump

A simple yes or no to the following question will be sufficient. Honesty counts.

Have you ever read the United States Constitution?

Condescension does not help

Yes I have.

I consider healthcare to be a question general welfare, 8 times more people alive today are without
access to healthcare, than there were inhabitants of this nation in 1776.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thepump

Yes I have.

I consider healthcare to be a question general welfare, 8 times more people alive today are without

Then you know nothing of the general welfare clause.

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated." - Thomas Jefferson

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison

Unless you believe you know the Constitution better than Jefferson or Madison, your contention is factually wrong.

See healthcare listed anywhere in A1S8? No. Doctors existed in the late 1700's. The idea that people get sick and would seek care existed back then too. If there was meant to be publicly funded healthcare, it wouldve been one of the few Constitutionally authorized expenditures.

It is not. No matter what 9 retards in black robes say, or what the degenerates in Congress and the White House say.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
1- I'm sure the massive healtcare costs also have nothing to do with the massive salaries paid to doctors and other medical personnel, or medical procedures or equipment being over-billed. No connection whatsoever. /sarcasm

2- If you think that the cost of everything, across the board, will increase as a result of stuff like this, to the point where it is completely unaffordable to "average people," (I think so far this has mostly been worded as "poor," but I'd like to give a more accurate depiction of what we're discussing) then what do you think will happen to those businesses when they hike their products' costs so high that most of their present consumer base can not afford consumption, just to keep their profits high, and their own inflated salaries high?

Yes, that's right... they will lose business. Then what will they do? Charge EVEN MORE to make up for the cost of all the stuff that people are not buying?

I think what really scares the rich people, is they know that no matter what, if taken to the extreme, policies like this will level the playing field considerably. And they're terrified of being one of the pleebs. Terrified that they'll have to work just as hard, for just as much money as the guy next door. Terrified that they can no longer profit off the sweat of the many, while the many who have elevated them to their privileged positions suffer in relative poverty and sickness.

3- For some reason I hadn't considered the more-servers-may-not-claim-their-tips angle. A VERY likely possibility. Even for some of the honest ones who are presently doing "the right thing."

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
48 locations

asshole probably has his own island somehwere

greedy pig

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Yes I have.

Then you know nothing of the general welfare clause.

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated." - Thomas Jefferson

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison

Unless you believe you know the Constitution better than Jefferson or Madison, your contention is factually wrong.

See healthcare listed anywhere in A1S8? No. Doctors existed in the late 1700's. The idea that people get sick and would seek care existed back then too. If there was meant to be publicly funded healthcare, it wouldve been one of the few Constitutionally authorized expenditures.

It is not. No matter what 9 retards in black robes say, or what the degenerates in Congress and the White House say.

We don't hide horses or keep people in chains for free labor any more either.

Times will keep on changing

Giving everyone access to a doctor is not evil, it is right.

Murderers and POWs get better treatment

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by elouina

To be honest ALL business owners need to get together and point out to the under educated exactly what the repercussions will be for their supposed "free ride".

"under educated" ??...You do realize that education level was one of the strongest indicators that a voter was going to vote for Obama...Obamacare and all?

Can you provide proof of this? To be honest I personally saw the exact opposite. I saw deans of colleges, teachers, judges, and lawyers that all wept when Obama won. But since you are stating this as a general fact, and not a personal observation, the proof lies with you.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

There is no incentive to "do the right thing" at this point.

There are plenty of ways to make a very decent living either under the radar, or as in the case of a tipped employee, to simply avoid paying any form of income tax altogether.

I know how to spend my money wisely. The government has proven time and again that they do not. By tipped employees keeping more of their own money, they stimulate their own local economy, the one that truly matters to most people.

Personally, I have used a bank in over a decade, so there would be no on paper way to track what I make with the exception of credit card tips, and there are always ways around that too. I guarantee the idea of not claiming any tips is starting to look better and better to all tipped employees.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
48 locations

greedy pig

Damn him for being successful!!!!!!!!!

That what you meant to say?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAngryFarm

Read my previous posts. I said I could declare nothing and not pay a dime if I so choose, but I did not say that is what I am currently doing. I am a bartender/bar manager, it's very easy for me to pay exactly zero dollars and zero cents if I decided to do just that. Since I am a manager, I feel the need to lead by example and declare everything and pay the taxes. I know full well most of my employees do not, and it's looking like that is the way I will go too. It depends what happens January 1st with the tax hikes coming up.

I having a hard time taking you seriously. If you're a bartender you know that you HAVE to declare a certain amount tips. Even if all your tips were in cash, and not recorded on the credit card receipt that has your employee number on it, the IRS would still expect you to pay tax on 8% of your sales. That's not negotiable on "bad" days, that's an average that is held to the standard to take into account "bad" days and tip out.

I don't know about where you work, but for the past decades, all my paychecks reflected my total sales, as well as my hourly wages and declared tips. Any major discrepancy in those figures will bring an IRS audit down on, not only you, but the entire house!

Furthermore, it's just stupid and immature not to see the future need for reporting you accurate earnings. If you get hurt or loose your job, those reported tips are part of the percentage factored into your EDD or TDI benefits.

If you want to buy a car or a house, your credit rating is based on your earnings. When I was in the process of buying my house, if I had only reported the minimum wage that my employer paid me, minus my tips, which was a few times higher that my wages, I never would have been given the credit to buy my home.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

It certainly is not a right. You cannot force others to pay for your right. You cannot place someone (in this case a doctor) in servitude in order to fulfill this perceived "right"

If you truly believe this is a right, then you must also believe the government should provide firearms to every citizen as well correct?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
it seems this restaurant owner thinks his employees are slaves.

obama put a stop to his exploitation of his low paid employees and now this evil bitter douchebag is trying to stick it to obama by passing the cost on to the customer while at the same time punishing his waitresses.

So how much did the minimum wage go up under Obama? So what did he stop, and how?

During the 2008 campaign, presidential candidate Barack Obama made a pledge to raise the minimum wage to $9.50 per hour by 2011. Promises like this one inspired a generation of young voters, excited long-neglected progressive voters and gave hope to millions of his supporters across the country.

It is now four years later, and there has been no increase to the minimum wage. There has been no congressional vote, much less a whisper from the White House on the minimum wage.

Where is Obama’s promised minimum-wage hike?

A person that risks everything they own to create a business, can pay whatever they like. If you want the job then take it. If not, walk away. It is your choice and no one is forcing you into chains.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAngryFarm

Instead of suggesting who should pay more, why arent you questioning the jackasses of a President and those in Congress who passed this steaming pile of crap law in the first place?

I questioned him everyday for the last 4 years and all those who voted for him, and he's president again. Now it comes down to who can afford to pay the surcharge for Obamacare. This employer isn't taking it out of everyones checks, he is taking it soley out of the server's checks just to be a dick Has nothing to do with keeping the "fruits of his labors". He just doesn't want to have to pay any money at all out of his own pocket and thats fine, if he spread the surcharge around to everyone else but instead he gouges 1 class of worker. But this here? Seems more like a tantrum than anything.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

reply to post by iwilliam

There is no incentive to "do the right thing" at this point.

There are plenty of ways to make a very decent living either under the radar, or as in the case of a tipped employee, to simply avoid paying any form of income tax altogether.

I know how to spend my money wisely. The government has proven time and again that they do not. By tipped employees keeping more of their own money, they stimulate their own local economy, the one that truly matters to most people.

Personally, I have used a bank in over a decade, so there would be no on paper way to track what I make with the exception of credit card tips, and there are always ways around that too. I guarantee the idea of not claiming any tips is starting to look better and better to all tipped employees.

You must work for a small establishment. Most servers and bartenders tips are claimed based on sales. With most POS systems the server/bartender's sales generate the minimal amount the tipped employee will have to pay in income tax. The only tips they would be allowed to hide would be cash tips as credit card tips are already calculated.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

It certainly is not a right. You cannot force others to pay for your right. You cannot place someone (in this case a doctor) in servitude in order to fulfill this perceived "right"

If you truly believe this is a right, then you must also believe the government should provide firearms to every citizen as well correct?

Exactly! When forced to buy car insurance, who pays for it? Should we make this a right also? Hey everyone!!! Free phones, free car insurance and free medical insurance! Whoop!! Whoop!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam
Let me put this another way, briefly:

The late Sam Walton is the guy who started and build Wal-Mart.

Wal Mart, as we know, is one of the biggest companies out there. Huge.

Where would wal-mart or Sam Walton have ended up without the labor of MILLIONS of other people?

I'll tell you where -- a small mom and pop store with only Walton and maybe one or two other employees. And that's all it EVER would have been.

So Sam provided a living wage for those millions of people too, dont forget that. He also offers merchandise at a very low cost that benefits millions more people.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
48 locations

greedy pig

Damn him for being successful!!!!!!!!!

That what you meant to say?

Many years ago I was going to purchase a business. But decided the risk of putting up my home and livelihood (job)was too much of a risk. And that the required long hours would have ruined the happiness of my life. Some business owners will lose everything while others will win. And they deserve to be successful for taking such risks and putting hard work into it.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by iwilliam
Let me put this another way, briefly:

The late Sam Walton is the guy who started and build Wal-Mart.

Wal Mart, as we know, is one of the biggest companies out there. Huge.

Where would wal-mart or Sam Walton have ended up without the labor of MILLIONS of other people?

I'll tell you where -- a small mom and pop store with only Walton and maybe one or two other employees. And that's all it EVER would have been.

So Sam provided a living wage for those millions of people too, dont forget that. He also offers merchandise at a very low cost that benefits millions more people.

Absolutely true. However, that does not negate my point. Without those millions of workers, he could never have had more than a small mom-and-pop store. Which means his company would not have seen the millions and BILLIONS in profits that it has. Yet the guys at the top of that company somehow deserve a six or seven figure salary, but those millions of workers who were instrumental in building the company and bringing in those profits should have to struggle just to make ends meet, or pay 1/3 of their wages just to have health insurance?

I don't know why this seems so hard for people to understand. (I'm not referring to you, specifically, as you did not disagree, per se. I'm just mentioning...)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

I having a hard time taking you seriously. If you're a bartender you know that you HAVE to declare a certain amount tips. Even if all your tips were in cash, and not recorded on the credit card receipt that has your employee number on it, the IRS would still expect you to pay tax on 8% of your sales. That's not negotiable on "bad" days, that's an average that is held to the standard to take into account "bad" days and tip out.

Since youre familiar with the industry, you should also know that very few people actually report all tips.

HAVING to declare tips is like HAVING to submit the sales tax to your state when you purchase online. Sure it should be done, but not everyone does it. I dont know how long you have spent in the service industry, but think real hard and see if you recall anyone ever being audited? I'm 34, been bartending since the day I turned 19, and not once have I ever met someone who was audited. Without going into trade secrets
, there are plenty of ways to avoid reporting the 8% as well.

I don't know about where you work, but for the past decades, all my paychecks reflected my total sales, as well as my hourly wages and declared tips. Any major discrepancy in those figures will bring an IRS audit down on, not only you, but the entire house!

My paychecks reflect my credit card tips, my hourly wage, and my tip outs from the servers. Different states have different laws in regards to tips. In my home state, the server is responsible for declaring their tips through our POS system. (Micros)

Furthermore, it's just stupid and immature not to see the future need for reporting you accurate earnings. If you get hurt or loose your job, those reported tips are part of the percentage factored into your EDD or TDI benefits.

Well stupid and immature is your opinion, do not state it as fact. I set aside a percentage of my weekly tips as a reserve fund in case I get hurt/unemployed/alien abducted for ransom.

If you want to buy a car or a house, your credit rating is based on your earnings. When I was in the process of buying my house, if I had only reported the minimum wage that my employer paid me, minus my tips, which was a few times higher that my wages, I never would have been given the credit to buy my home.

That is a downside for people who choose to use credit. Personally I do not. As stated before, I havent had a bank account in over a decade, purchased my truck and my wifes car in cash (as a side benefit, you can usually get items cheaper when paying cash), and already own land and a small house but I rent my primary residence. I have no desire to purchase a home, so credit will not be needed. As hard as it may be for some to believe, there is a large number of people who choose to live outside of the "normal way of doing things". I dont want credit. I dont want to do business with a bank, prepaid debit cards work just fine for paying my bills.

Hopefully that cleared it up for you.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join