It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Made in USA' label popular in China, too: study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well aint this a kicker,

seems our Chinese friends would rather have goods labeled..

"Made in the U.S.A." on the label because of the better quality..

Consumers in China are willing to pay a premium for certain products labeled "Made in USA" because they see them as more durable and of higher quality, a new study found.

The report, by the Boston Consulting Group (BCG), found 61 percent of Chinese consumers would pay more for a product made in the United States. When products are of similar price or quality, about 47 percent prefer the U.S.-made alternative, more than double the number who would pick the Chinese-made item.

"The Chinese consumer is quietly concerned about what they're getting," said Hal Sirkin, a BCG senior partner and co-author of the BCG study.

Consumers are responding to recent cases of lead paint in toys, tainted milk and other scandals that, in some cases, led to severe penalties for those responsible. As more Chinese enter the middle class, they will increasingly look for value in the goods they buy rather than just the lowest price, which will pressure Chinese manufacturers to improve quality, Sirkin said.

I have to admit that I avoid a lot of items that say "made in China" when i can,,

and I try to buy more Made in U.S.A. whenever possible..

I believe that most products made here in the U.S.A. are of better quality than elsewhere..

As the cost of producing and shipping goods from China rises, more U.S. manufacturers are expected to expand U.S. capacity, BCG predicts. And as U.S. factories churn out more autos and auto parts, electrical equipment and furniture, they could spark an industrial renaissance with 5 million new jobs, it says.

BCG recommends retailers lock in U.S. suppliers to attract shoppers, and is advising consumer brands to make their U.S. sourcing as visible as possible. For now, relatively few do.

Maybe this will bring some jobs back home..

news.msn.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I try to avoid Chinese products because of their poor quality. I generally buy goods made in USA or are a Product of Canada.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised the Chinese making their own labels "Made in USA" when in fact the product was made in China and selling them on the black market.

Interesting read OP.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

LOL

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Funny thing is, I used to know a chap that worked for an American business, that was formed from a Chinese who moved here from China. He was from China, and lost a wife in the whole Tienanmen Square fiasco.

He would stay at my house while visiting, and always wanted to go shopping for American goods to take home and sell.

His favorite thing to collect were Levi's while they were still made in America. Go figure! Now they are made in his own country!

www.organicconsumers.org...

"Like all companies, Levi is mostly driven by profit," says Quan, who is unconvinced that Levi has set up camp elsewhere for any other reason than to cut costs. Historically, the textile and garment industries have often been the first to operate efficiently in developing countries because producing textiles requires more unskilled labor and less sophisticated (read cheap) goods. This allows companies to concentrate on increasing profit through design and marketing. Levi's recent plant closures, says Quan, "demonstrate the company's overriding concern with profit." The massive overseas relocation that has taken place for decades is further predicted to increase when the Multi Fiber Arrangement (MFA) is phased out by January 2005. The MFA, an international, Byzantine quota system fashioned in the 1960s to protect First World producers from Third World competition, has shielded the United States from the tremendous jump in Third World textile exports. When the MFA is finally phased out, low-wage producers in developing countries, such as China, will quickly benefit. China's growth potential in the American market is huge, currently, U.S. imports from China are five times as large as its exports, according to a report by the Economic Policy Institute.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Nice video of Trump being put on the hot seat by Letterman!
Thanks for sharing

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
MADE IN AMERICA will be big marketing starting next year. Not MADE IN THE AMERICAS

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
MADE IN AMERICA will be big marketing starting next year. Not MADE IN THE AMERICAS

I am sure everyone in America would appreciate that, Mike. Please put this prediction in the prediction section of ATS,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Products with "made in the USA" are rare like diamond.

Though I don't foresee the US making their own clothing & underwear anytime soon or ever.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel His favorite thing to collect were Levi's while they were still made in America. Go figure! Now they are made in his own country!

A person who knows fabric can tell. They are made from short fiber cotton (what would be floor sweepings here the chinese process and pass off as wearable cloth) and pick up dirt like it is no tomorrow, they wear out faster and are now someting I avoid buying.
If the jeans feel fuzzy pass on them, what you are feeling are the ends of the cotton fiber, well made denim (wool and silk also) should feel smooth.

edit on 15-11-2012 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Nah, they dont want it for the quality. They want it because the label is soo rare, they think it'll be worth something someday.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Ah that was great....Trump didn't know what to say.

top topics

join