It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd Cloud Formation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Ok.. Frist post so be gentle..

Mods if this isn't the correct form then please move it by all means...

I took these pics on Sunday 11-11-12. This was the strangest thing I have seen in clouds in my 25+ years living here. First off with the exception of the circular hole in the clouds, it was completely over cast with clouds. Secondly the sun was coming from the east (left side of the picture), but there had appeared TWO suns at first. Thirdly the was a rainbow in part of it (it doesn't appear as well as I was hoping it would have). Your thoughts on it as weather is not my strongest subject, I know some not a lot.

FTR I am NOT claiming Nibiru or anything like that, but it looked cool and daftly strange and figured I would share them with you all.

Picture 1:

Picture 2:

Picture 3:

Picture 4:

Picture 5:

Well there they are hope you enjoy. Was a bizzare sight.

Grim
edit on 15/11/2012 by Grimmley because: (no reason given)

edit on 15/11/2012 by Grimmley because: Forgot the word NOT in there.. /sigh

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I don't see a second sun or anything really unusual, just a nice picture.

Edit: Got to it before you posted the other pictures, does look odd, but very beautiful.
edit on 15-11-2012 by Putyournamehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Cool pictures
looks pretty chilly where you live!

The phenomenon is known as a 'Fallstreak Hole'.

Such holes are formed when the water temperature in the clouds is below freezing but the water has not frozen yet due to the lack of ice nucleation particles (see supercooled water). When ice crystals do form it will set off a domino effect, due to the Bergeron process, causing the water droplets around the crystals to evaporate: this leaves a large, often circular, hole in the cloud.

It is believed that the introduction of large numbers of tiny ice crystals into the cloud layer sets off this domino effect of evaporation which creates the hole. The ice crystals can be formed by passing aircraft which often have a large reduction in pressure behind the wing- or propellor-tips. This cools the air very quickly, and can produce a ribbon of ice crystals trailing in the aircraft's wake. These ice crystals find themselves surrounded by droplets, grow quickly by the Begeron process, causing the droplets to evaporate and creating a hole with brush-like streaks of ice crystals below it.

Wiki
edit on 15/11/2012 by Fazza! because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Nice pics, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you the the name of that double sun phenomena, lots of peeps here know that kind of thing.

'wispers' this is how it begins, first with the lurking, then the posting...........you think you can stop, but noooooooo

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Putyournamehere
I don't see a second sun or anything really unusual, just a nice picture.

Originally posted by Grimmley

FTR I am claiming Nibiru or anything like that, but it looked cool and daftly strange and figured I would share them with you all.

i think he meant FTR I am NOT claiming Nibiru

the cloud looks cool, cant tell very well the "two sun" view in the pics, but they are nice pics.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

Thanks I kinda figured there was a normal explination to it.. I just had looked up and was like WTF..lol
Thanks again..

Grim

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I don't ever remember having seen these before until the last few months, or so. Someone on another thread claims these are HAARP related.

Then, on the same thread someone wrote that it is warm air above the cool air. The warm air "rains" onto the cool clouds creating the hole. While an interesting theory, one would think they'd be more prevalent, more common.

It is a stunning site. For me, they are mesmerizing. Circular holes in clouds aren't something I grew up with.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Dizrael

/Facepalm

Yes I am NOT claiming it to be Nibiru.. /sigh fingers going faster than brain this morning it appears...

Grim

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Hey now thats trolling!!!
Lol JK JK.. these pics is why I had to do the intro post actually.
Thanks for all your help again

Grim

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenAlot
I don't ever remember having seen these before until the last few months, or so. Someone on another thread claims these are HAARP related.

Then, on the same thread someone wrote that it is warm air above the cool air. The warm air "rains" onto the cool clouds creating the hole. While an interesting theory, one would think they'd be more prevalent, more common.

It is a stunning site. For me, they are mesmerizing. Circular holes in clouds aren't something I grew up with.

I have seen pictures similar to this before, but not with the reflection of the sun and rainbow in it (which I wish would have came out better). As for HAARP still haven't made my mind up on that yet. I have known a couple of people that had worked up there, but if you look at the patents and the alphabet soup's that are involved it does make one say hmmm. However I think this is natural event either way, just a really cool natural event..

Grim

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimmley

The 'second sun' / rainbow was most likely a sun dog - an optical result of ice crystals within the fallstreak hole.

Sundogs are made commonly of plate-shaped hexagonal ice crystals in high and cold cirrus clouds or, during very cold weather, by ice crystals called diamond dust drifting in the air at low levels. These crystals act as prisms, bending the light rays passing through them with a minimum deflection of 22°. If the crystals are randomly oriented, a complete ring around the sun is seen — a halo. But often, as the crystals sink through the air they become vertically aligned, so sunlight is refracted horizontally — in this case, sundogs are seen.

edit on 15/11/2012 by Fazza! because: (no reason given)

top topics

join