It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel - Palestine Update Thread. No hate. Just updates.

page: 171
<< 168  169  170    172  173  174 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Todzer
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I wouldn't read too much into it, it is just as a sign of respect for the country he is in, I'm sure he observes the customs of other countries he visits.

You can be right. We'll just see if he starts a conversation with the muslim leaders with as-salamu alaykum then...

Although hes there to stop this madness not to "mingle with the locals". Hes the UN top shot... its like a parent starting a reprimand with "now now dear" with a cute rabbit voice.

But hey... when does anyone care about what the UN says? Plus he gave all the signs hes weak, and clearly took israel's side on that speech (maybe its a sign of respect for the country he is in also...)

We'll see.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Look you are seeing and hearing it the way you want to and then throwing your own opinion in and can't listen to anyone else, this is not the place for that kind of behavior

link   

"No country would tolerate rocket attacks against its cities and against its civilians. Israel cannot tolerate such attacks. If a long-term solution can be put in place through diplomatic means, then Israel would be a willing partner to such a solution. But if stronger military action proves necessary to stop the constant barrage of rockets, Israel will not hesitate to do what is necessary to defend our people."

-Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, speaking at a press conference on Tuesday alongside the UN's Ban Ki-moon.

Also from reuters feed.

I don't know about the ceasefire. Things don't seem to be changing.

link   

Originally posted by GarrusVasNormandy
For those who did not watch the conference:

"Rocket attacks by Palestinian militant targeting Israel must cease immediately. I know how difficult the situation is here, but Israel must exercise maximum restraint. I strongly caution against a ground operation, which will only result in further tragedy. I have also stressed that while Israeli rockets may be aimed at military targets inside Gaza, they kill and injure civilians and damage civilian infrastructures. The loss of civilian lives is unacceptable under any circumstances. The excessive use of force is unlawful and must be rejected...my paramount immediate concern is for the safety and well-being of all civilians in Israel and in Gaza. Innocent people, including children, are being killed and injured on both sides."

-UN's Ban Ki-moon, speaking at a press conference Tuesday morning alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Reuters live feed.

-Sounds like Netanyahu got his *snipped* spanked.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by nerdyclutzyblonde

Yes, I thought that too.

The UN isn't as permissive as it was in the past, with Israel.

He mentions briefly the attacks by Palestine, and then rip Israel for the attacks on Gaza. After that, he talks in a very diplomatic way, pointing to both sides.

link   

Originally posted by GarrusVasNormandy
Some people have reported that Israel is pushing forward for a long-term solution. But what's important is that both sides are willing to put a solution on the table. The problem is finding a solution that pleases both sides.

I just read a very interesting article about one good reason for a ceasefire and Egypt/Israel/Hamas learning how to live with each other. It ties in with all the talk about the IMF loan to Egypt.

bloomberg.com

What would Hamas get in a cease-fire? For now, it would avoid an Israeli invasion and the death and destruction that would go with it. The longer play would be to align Egypt, Hamas and Israel against the Salafis and restore the relative stability that existed before the rise of the ultra-extremists.

link   
reply to post by Todzer

Dude give the guy a break willya,everything we are hearing and seeing can be interpreted differently,the truth is multifaceted, multiple perspectives is a good thing

edit on 20-11-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
Please accept my apologies if this has already been posted, I have been following the thread and have not seen this yet:

The Israel Air Force struck the National Islamic Bank in Gaza City overnight Monday, Al Jazeera reported.

According to the report, Hamas uses the bank to pay its employees

Four people were injured in the air strike, Al Jazeera reported.

www.jpost.com...

Financial sanctions are the way to affect an enemy's economy, not bombs.

And, financial 'gifts' can pretty much keep you from bombing your neighbor, too!!!!

The International Monetary Fund said Tuesday it had reached a deal with Egyptian authorities on a 22-month loan totalling some $4.8 billion to help the country overcome economic difficulties

IMF $4.8 billion 'loan' to Egypt

Nice timing.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Todzer

Look you are seeing and hearing it the way you want to and then throwing your own opinion in and can't listen to anyone else, this is not the place for that kind of behavior

What behavior? Its an analysis.

If right after the UN top shot finishes his speech, 2 bombings take place, its not what I would call "respect and consideration" for the UN, it's members, the reason they're there or its leader.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Last night CNN was giving out the idea that Israel and Palestine should get along and make peace, mostly because they have a common enemy: Iran.

I scratched my head multiple times after hearing that.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Alright, I am not getting into anything on this thread, there is plenty of more threads out there for it, I am only here for the updates, not your own personal analysis.
edit on 20/11/12 by Todzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Truce deal to be announced at 9pm local-Hamas saysRT

@AFilan: Hamas official tells Reuters an agreement for "calm" has been reached

Reuters live feed

Usually is around the time that Hamas says "we're making an agreement" that another group starts throwing rockets and compromising the whole thing all over again...

Let's just hope the unity that Hamas has talked about does translate into reality, calm and peace.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Seems to be fairly official

Israel, Gaza militants agree to ceasefire - Hamas official

Israel and militants from the Gaza Strip have agreed to an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire that will come into force at midnight local (2200 GMT), Hamas official Ayman Taha said, speaking to Reuters from Cairo.

"An agreement for calm has been reached. It will be declared at 9.00 p.m. and go into effect at midnight," Taha said.

(Reporting by Nidal al-Mughrabi; writing by Crispian Balmer; editing by Jeffrey Heller)

At the same time, another missile has destroyed a car. Driver killed.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

Which means there is going to be a hammering until Midnight, when it goes into effect.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I'm reading the twitter feeds of people more familiar with conflicts and wars than me and they are stating that there is always a flurry of activity (i.e. bombs) that happens right before a ceasefire takes effect. Which if that's true would explain things a bit. (Although that's a horrible reality)

I am reading it's been agreed to but not 'official' until Egypt's Morsi announces it.
edit on 20-11-2012 by OneisOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Which means there is going to be a hammering until Midnight, when it goes into effect.

Ceasefire agreements were reached in the past days.

The problem was that when the timeline arrived, rockets and missiles continued to fly from side to side.

Hope this one is different. It has Egypt's signature.

If this ceasefire fails, things will make a hard turn for the worst. There are several protests in Egypt calling for more severe action against Israel. That would imply that Egypt gives up the peace agreement with Israel.

Fingers crossed.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
IDF ‏@IDFSpokesperson
BREAKING: A rocket fired from #Gaza directly hit a building in the central Israeli city of Rishon LeZion. #IsraelUnderFire

From the official IDF Twitter page.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I have no doubt that Hamas will abide by the cease-fire. They need to resupply their rockets, replace the leaders that were killed, and generally regroup.

Bibi will also call it quits. He's going to come out of this with massive support and will almost certainly be successful come election time. A ground war now will throw all that out of the window.

This is pretty much over for another few years. There will be bombing right up until the deadline, of course - maybe even more than we've seen so far. Then it will be over. See you all again in another 4 years!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

edit on 20-11-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 168  169  170    172  173  174 >>

join