It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel - Palestine Update Thread. No hate. Just updates.

page: 158
<< 155  156  157    159  160  161 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
RT just switched to a press conference about something.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Lets hope the cease fire comes into effect guys,no matter who is right or wrong..
It's gone beyond any logic now.
edit on 19-11-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

If that's the case, what makes Israel think they will be second time lucky? Surely the militants wouldn't be so stupid to fall for it again.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Israel gives Hamas 36-hours ultimatum before starting major offensive

Israel warned Hamas it will step up its offensive in the Gaza Strip in 36 hours if they do not cease rocket fire. UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrived in Cairo in a bid to broker a peace deal between the two sides as the threat of a ground invasion looms. Israeli Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz told IDF radio the time left before Israel escalates its attacks can be measured in “hours, not days.” "We are at a junction," Steinitz said. "Either we go toward a calm or toward a meaningful widening of the operation… including a possible move to achieve complete military decision."

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Cease fire doesn't seem likely:

Russia accuses U.S. of blocking U.N. action on Israel-Gaza conflict

Russia accused the United States on Monday of blocking a bid by the U.N. Security Council to condemn the escalating conflict between Israel and the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip and said other council members were filibustering the issue. The United States said, however, it was important that the 15-member council does not harm efforts under way in Cairo to broker a truce between Israel and Palestinian Hamas militants in Gaza.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by auroraaus
reply to post by Curio

If that's the case, what makes Israel think they will be second time lucky? Surely the militants wouldn't be so stupid to fall for it again.

You've never played poker, have you?

edit on 19-11-2012 by Curio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
Lets hope the cease fire comes into effect guys,no matter who is right or wrong..
It's gone beyond any logic now.

Agreed. War doesn't determine who's right, only who's left... Right??
I think the majority of the world is hoping for a ceasefire but unfortunately, I think Curio may be on the right track. There are other players involved here behind the scenes whom I believe see this as the perfect cover for escalation to further their agenda.
I'll always hope for peace regardless...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by auroraaus
reply to post by Curio

Don't go and give them to much credit now.

I read a tweet that said this was just a posturing position by the IDF as they re-stalk the white phosphorus.

I'm not 100% sure though. Cant get link to work

edit on 19-11-2012 by lnfideI because: links wong go

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Well, as off topic as it is, yes I have, and failed miserably. Get me on the Roulette wheel and hot dog!!

But be that as it may, with the lawn chairs out, and either a 36 hour ultimatum or a breakdown in talks/vetos from us or russia... I think the situation is pretty well at stalemate. I hope I am wrong and a ceasefire will come about.

Does anyone know if al-shifa hospital ended up being hit?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Oh its the same Israel game again!

Start a war when they please, kill innocents as they please, and then end it when they see fit. I'm against the cease-fire. Hamas should not agree to it. For what? So Israel can do it again in a few months or a year or two?

This is like I get to someone's house, punch them in the face... when my neighbors start questioning my actions, I apologize so I dont get in trouble. Then... I'll be able to do it allover again.

The Gaza invasion will actually hurt the Israeli army a lot more than it will hurt Hamas. The UN will go ballistic, the public opinion will (finally) turn on israel, and Egypt, Turkey, Syria and Russia can have a field day with Israel. Plus Iran can play "beat a dead cow" with their friends.

I think the cease-fire will only strengthen Israel and its policies and ensure that actions like these can go unpunished - and we all know how israel is used to getting away with this kind of crap. I hope they dont agree with the cease-fire and dont let Israel come out on top. Yes more people will die... but...

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." - Thomas Jefferson.

If Gaza EVER wants to be free from Israeli oppression and ensure this does not repeat ever, then Hamas cant accept that cease-fire - its basically Israel killing for free, laughing as the world bends to it and getting away with murder.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I believe the amount of frustration between Israel situation with Iran and other anti israeli groups out there that they will punish Gaza to show them as an example and there might of there military. Honestly this will not end well and only a ground invasion would get Hamas.

But i would like to see Russia do something for a change, remember the country of Georgia was invaded not too long ago, what was that for? strategic?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
virtualjerusalem.com...

That's the first story I can find online about the 36 hour ultimatum so 36 hours from then would be ~ Tuesday evening around 6 pm Israel time.... just over 12 hours from now.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Senior Terrorist in Gaza Disguises Himself as Journalist

www.idfblog.com...

When terrorists disguised themselves as civilians, it can only end badly for civilians. Today, a senior Hamas operative was targeted while driving a press vehicle, effectively disguising himself as a reporter. By doing so, he risked the lives of all journalists in the Gaza Strip.

One such example came in today, when a senior Hamas operative was targeted while driving a press vehicle. Muhammed Shamalah, commander of Hamas forces in the southern Strip and head of the Hamas militant training programs, was targeted by an Israeli air strike while driving a car clearly labelled “TV”, indicating it to be a press vehicle, abusing the protection afforded to journalists.

The incident occurred on the same day that four senior Palestinian Islamic Jihad operatives took over a floor of the foreign press building in Gaza and used it as a meeting place, risking the lives of all journalists inside. The IDF targeted the operatives and a direct hit was confirmed. Journalists have been warned to stay aware from terrorists or terror sites in the Strip, for their own safety.

Live Updates: IDF Targeting Terrorist Sites

Why Is the Number of Israeli Casualties So Low? | IDF
edit on 19-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ElderOfZion

Well. The strategic rivalries as I see it.

The Arabian gulf (oil) states vs Iran & Syria.
Turkey vs Arabs
Egypt (sunnah muslim brothers) vs shiites (Iran)
Egypt vs Saudi (Who should lead the Arab world)
Hamas vs Fatah
Israel vs Iran
Hamas has to make a choice (Iran or Egypt)
If Morsi plays his cards right and gets this truce going he is in for the big prize.
Puts Egypt back on the leadership role.
Egypt gets Obama's support and the World Bank financial aid it desperately needs.

Thats a lot of rivalry. Sometimes I wonder if this compares to the rivalry between the various denominations in the West. Protestant, Baptist, etc., over all refer to themselves as Christians of Christianity. Just like all the "denominations" (or sects as we call them) are Muslims of Islam. So Hamas, Hezbollah, etc., are really all the same religion just like in the West. The infighting among sects is probably the same the world over in many cultures .

I know its more complex than this and I am trying to be respectful about it. After World War II, a lot of lines were drawn on a map and people became segregated behind borders where before there were none. Divide and Conquer? Now the various peoples there of "Arab" descent find themselves in conflict between lines on a map and their original "tribes" (a bygone word?). These boundaries and clashes have less to do with the modern lay of the land as much as they have to do with the "will of Allah" and holy sites.

Israel is really a tiny country in a sea of Islam over there. If I lived there I would try and show more respect to my neighbors. They are vastly outnumbered. The more Israel is seen to oppress them the more others will unite against the "common foe". Dangerous rivalry that. Israel against all of Islam. Sorry all, I know its not an update...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
other feeds appear to be down or showing other things at the moment

reuters.livestation.com... is still up with audio in case anyone needed a quick link, currently Gaza border unfortunately near that blasted freeway.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Daytime Reuters is up...

reuters.livestation.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Thats how they justify the murder of innocents?

Nice...! I guess if they kill 100 innocents to catch one guilty, its worth it.

Know who else thought like that? Stalin. Only about... 20 to 45 million deaths. I wonder how many were guilty.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
reply to post by Swills

Thats how they justify the murder of innocents?

Nice...! I guess if they kill 100 innocents to catch one guilty, its worth it.

Know who else thought like that? Stalin. Only about... 20 to 45 million deaths. I wonder how many were guilty.

Stop being anti israel. its both there fault.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nexttothemoon
virtualjerusalem.com...

That's the first story I can find online about the 36 hour ultimatum so 36 hours from then would be ~ Tuesday evening around 6 pm Israel time.... just over 12 hours from now.

That link opens with a "ISRAEL UNDER ATTACK - donate" ... it kinda boiled my blood... Donate? Really? That must be a bad joke.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
jumped the gun guys.carry on..
oops sorry for pun.

new topics

top topics

<< 155  156  157    159  160  161 >>

join