It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you miss about the 80's???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
What do you miss or else remember most about the 80's???

1 dollar per gallon gas..... ha ha...

new wave music..... ;-)

rotary phones .......bahh

your turn.....

edit on 15-11-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

My jeans size.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
Having been born in 1970 the 80s were my biggest transitional years. From age 10 to age 20, I went from Jr High to my first 2 years of College, it was a decade of self expression and growth through one of the biggest shifts in both technology and entertainment as well as global arena. We went from simple over the air T.V. to cable and MTV, from 8 tacks to cassettes to floppy discs. We went from rotary dialed phones to push button to cell phones, from the Commador and Atari to the Apple IIe and the beginnings of the internet. We went from a Cold War of Communistic fear to the celebration of freedom and Democracy. In my opinion, the 80s were the last full decade of true self expression, the last decade of true originality as the 90s brought remakes and not much more than simply improving what we already had. The Rock rocked, the Rap popped, lol even Classical music had a beat. All of this I miss.

Having to pin it down to a few things I miss the most I would have to say, in agreement with a few of the posts before this one, the general connection and politeness of society. Sure there was crime but when you walked down the street and your yes met anothers there was a smile and a hello(sup, hey, whatever your flavor). I miss the basic honesty and courtesy among the general people. It seems to me the 90s brought an end to this common place and society became cold and withdrawn. I miss the Womans long and wavy hair styles, not so much the ever popular mullet and I'm not sure about the spandex pandemic lol. I miss the fact that things were made to last and were made of real materials(our cars were still made of steal) as the 90s brought us the disposable and the plastic(fake). I suppose we should have seen the World we live in coming with the beginnings of cooperate disregard to natural and public safety that began in the 80s(yes it existed prior but we didn't know it was a problem) with the blatant conscious dumping of chemicals into our water supplies to save a buck or two even after the effects became known.

This. Every word. I'm a couple of years older than you, but it still holds true.

Can I add real action movies like Alien/Aliens, Predator, Die Hard, etc.? They just don't make 'em like that anymore. And now they're remaking Red Dawn? Seriously?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Parachute pants
Atari 2600
Intelevision (night stalker)
Mullets & Tails (just kidding)
Riding a bike with no helmet
Molly Ringwald
Iron Maiden
Ronald Reagan
The Cold War (Nah, LMAO!)

Big Foot & Wild boy (if you remember this show, you're True Old School)
Six Million Dollar Man
Creature Features
Dukes of Hazzard
Incredible Hulk
Superfuzz
Thundar The Barbarian (saturday mornings)

Just off the top of my head. ~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The 80's Rock Bands!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
What would the 80's have been without Ozone & Turbo from the movie 'Breakin' ? Kelly too. LMAO! ~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Being able to have my own apartment with the works, car, pmt, savings, and still some left over for the weekend!

We just seemed more carefree and happy back then. I DONT miss parachute pants. I did sport the "bitch-flip" hairdo.. and almost miss that.. sort of a cockatoo human hybrid look.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I don't really miss the parachute pants my friend, but the fact that you could get away with wearing those back then is enough for me to miss them. LMAO! ~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Things I miss from the eighties:

Elvira, mistress of the dark on Friday nights.
D&D that involved freinds and dice.
Jolt cola.
Doctor demento on the radio.
And,
The cartilage in my knees.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Reagan. Lol

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Knowing that my country, the USA, was the most powerful nation in the universe, and we would always be the most powerful nation, and that that was a good thing, a wonderful thing, since of course we were on the side of good!

And knowing that, by the time I turned 18, world peace would be established, space would be open to the public, and world hunger would be solved through technological developments, as well as free or nearly free energy... we would have flying cars, full 3D holographic tvs with no such thought of wearing glasses for it to work..., and all video games would be virtual reality, like lawnmower man, suspended in a VR suit- except better!

That's what I miss about the 80's... Knowing certain things that I no longer seem know. Call it lost knowledge... Some sick and twisted form of Alzheimers, if you will. A perverted, corrupted, and backward version of amnesia, perhaps...

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I want the 80s back... It really was a lot of fun

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Reagan. Lol

Yeah well I know Ashley.
It's a younger mind thing. I looked up to him as a young boy long before my eyes were opened to the international scam game. I was talking more about Reagan as just a nice man, not that I agree with everything that his administration did, but yes I still respect the guy even though he is long gone.

Reagan was far from perfect though and I understand that, but he did do some great things for the United States of America. ~$heopleNation
edit on 18-11-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Puberty

But seriously, the 80s were AWESOME.

Home computers!
Oh yes, Roller Skates!!
Atari 2600!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I miss Chubbles, a Star Wars Ewok toy. My favorite toy of ALL TIME. and i just bought one on eBay

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Music...Def Leppard, Kiss, Warrant, Poison, Chicago, REO Speedwagon..RIchard Marx, Bryan Adams..

Gas was 99 cents a gallon!

YOu could buy a coke (in a bottle) and a candy bar for $1

Aquanet Hair spray

Leg Warmers

Movies...16 Candles, The BReakfast Club, St Elmo's Fire

ROB LOWE

TV- Diff'rent Strokes, Family Ties, Facts of LIfe

MTV actually played videos!!

NO CELL PHONES

MY commodore 64 computer...

PONG!!!!!!!!!!! ATARI!!!!!!!

I could go on and on..

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by k21968
Music...Def Leppard, Kiss, Warrant, Poison, Chicago, REO Speedwagon..RIchard Marx, Bryan Adams..

Gas was 99 cents a gallon!

YOu could buy a coke (in a bottle) and a candy bar for $1

And it was REAL Coke, made with real sugar. Do you remember the New Coke thing?

Aquanet Hair spray

Leg Warmers

Movies...16 Candles, The BReakfast Club, St Elmo's Fire

ROB LOWE

TV- Diff'rent Strokes, Family Ties, Facts of LIfe

MTV actually played videos!!

NO CELL PHONES

MY commodore 64 computer...

PONG!!!!!!!!!!! ATARI!!!!!!!

I could go on and on..

Speaking of AquaNet...how about perms? We all had 'em, and I hear they're coming back in. No way no how am I doing that to my hair again!

Rob Lowe still looks hot.

Loved my boombox. Believe it or not, mine finally died just a couple of years ago at the grand old age of almost 30.

I really doubt an iPod will last that long.
edit on 11/20/2012 by HappyBunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
way cheaper prices on EVERYTHING.

4 wheel roller skates

cleaner air, my mom. being a kid .. not having to worry about anything or anyone.
better cartoons i miss the movies of that era . the music , the people etc

I mean the 80s was like the best decade for just about everything ... it was a time of freedom and self expression without having to worry too much ..

you could rely on your neighbor to watch you kid if you were working late. there was less restrictions the world over.

i rest my case .. the the 90s was for me pretty good too...

edit on 20/11/12 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join